New Marantz SR7400 with great remote

Anonymous
Dear all,
For your reference;
http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/main.html

and the remote for SR7400
http://www.marantz.com/image/products/u_rc7400sr_lrg.gif

Anyone think that this might be a great buy compare with NAD T763? ( in term of value and feature )!

Anonymous
Anyone has bought this?

MichaelSLB
Haven't bought one yet, but I plan to as soon as
my dealer here in Canada gets them in stock. :)

I've got the SR6300 now and like it a lot, but my
dealer is giving me full trade-up value so I'm
gonna grab this new 7400 with that fantastic
remote.

Looks like this new Marantz will be on par, or
probably even better than the previous models.

Michael

Anonymous
Hi MichaelSLB,
Its selling about S$1000 inclusive GST here. I planning to get one too.

SAL
I purchased the 7400 about a week ago and love it. The remote for the system is extremely nice. Prior to getting the 7400 I was using 3 remotes, the 7400 remote replaced them all. It was a really nice feature. But the sound quality from the amp and B&W speakers, for me, are absolutely perfect. I believe I made a great choice. Also, this receiver plays extremely well in HT mode. Any questions let me know.

SAL,

I have seen some reports that the unit get very hot. Have you seen this? Is is possible to run this receiver in 5.1 or 6.1 mode until I purchase a new set of speakers?

MichaelSLB
SAL,

How would you rate the 7400's sound compared to
the 6300 that you had previously?

Also, do you find the 7400 to have a lot more
power, especially in HT mode---playing back 5 or
6 channels?

faiello,

Marantz receivers do run fairly warm, as do most
receivers. But I wouldn't let that bother you, as
it doesn't seem to bother the Marantz any. The
entire top of this reciever is filled with air
vents. Just make sure you give it room to breath.

Also, you will be fine running this in either 5.1
or 6.1 until you get a new set of speakers for
7.1. Just because the receiver has 7 channels,
doesn't mean that they all need to be used.

Hope that helps!

Michael

P.S. If anyone's interested, you can read the new
lab report on the 5400 from S & V mag here:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=527&page_number=1

I was very impressed by the numbers this new 5400
is producing, and I can't wait to upgrade my
6300 to the new 7400.

Looks like S & V mag will have the full review
in the Jan issue.

Louie
I thinking of getting the new sr7400 online,

http://www.taxfreeelectronics.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=11&Product_ID=892&CATID=4 (USD$699)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/authorizedelectronics/marantzsr7400.html (USD$739)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/bestprice-store/marantzsr7400.html (USD$759)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/topsellers/marantzsr7400.html (USD$765)

anyone know where can I get better deal than the above link?
for speaker, where can I buy the Monitor B4, B2, BC and asw100 package online? 'sara internation. inc' do best for USD$1200+-

SAL
MichealASB,

Comparing the sound between the two receivers was pretty similar to each other. The power difference between the two is minimal; I believe it to be about 15 wpc. As I have stated in previous threads, I started off with the 6300, but my dealer's wall outlet shorted the amp. He let me try the 5400 at home, which had a nice sound to it also, but I hated the remote control. It could not replace my other remotes, and I was really looking forward to replacing my multi-control setup with one controller.

It is funny because I spent about $1000 more on my entire HT than I expected. Once I started researching the brands and info.

At this present time I only have a 5.1 setup, but next weekend I am going to a 7.1 setup, so I will keep you guys posted.

Lastly, in the comparison of the 6400, 5400, 7400, I was also auditioning several set of B&W speakers at my home, courtesy of my dealer, so that also makes it a little more difficult in accessing the performance difference in each of the receivers. To me, all three sounded great. It just down to what features I wanted in a receiver. I just really thought the remote, 7.1, and a few other features were worth the extra money.

I hope this answered your question.

MichaelSLB
Thanks SAL... and I'm glad that you're so happy
with your new 7400. I can't wait to get mine.

"It is funny because I spent about $1000 more on my entire HT than I expected. Once I started researching the brands and info."

Similar thing happened to me... I started out
looking at a $300 5.1 set at Best Buy, which
quickly escalated into a researching/auditioning
escapade. One month and $6,000 later, I'm just
about finished and I actually plan on buying that
$300 5.1 set for my best friend for Christmas ;-)

Crazy!

Michael

Pls advice me about the suited speaker for marantz sr 7400. I have plan B&W 600 s3 or B&W DM 300 SERIES or Mission m70Ii series or JBL new E nortridge series.Also in Que JPW 200 Series.Even tho B&W are the best suited they are expensive.Perticullarly compare the rest brand.Also compare Denon avr 2803 and avr 3803.
As far as receiver consult pls compare Marantz sr-7400,Denon 3803,Sony Str2000es,Pioneer vsx 2012,
Pls compare on sound quality wise in HT mode as well as in Streo mode.
Compare JBL PB12,B&W ASW650,JAMO D6 Subwoofer for HT application.

BT Brown
Has anyone compared the 7400 with the 8300.

I've been looking at the specs and it seems that the only thing the 8300 has over the 7400 is 120w vs 105. But... the 7400 is 105x7 (not x6 like the 8300) so overall - more watts. The 7400 has the updated Dolby IIx. Very similar inputs/outputs. The 7400 has a better remote than the 7300 but perhaps not as nice as the 8300.

It also has "HD component video switching with High Quality video up conversion Speaker A and B with Multi-room with Multi-Speaker". I'm not sure what these are but they sound good and I don't believe the 8300 has these features.

So what am I missing - MSRP $1000 for 7400 vs $1800 for 8300?

Anonymous
Question,

Is the SR5400 software upgradable? According to Marantz site, it is.

Also, is the SR5400OSE version will be available in the USA?

Anonymous
Anon:

It does not look like the 5400OSE will be sold in the USA as I do believe the 6400 will fill that particular gap. It looks like the 5400OSE is for markets where the 6400 won't be sold e.g. Europe. I think the 5400OSE is for markets where Marantz had difficulty shifting the 6300.

Hawk
Anon:

FWIW, I spoke with the Marantz factory rep a couple of weeks back and he told me Marantz is planning to sell the 5400ose in the USA, but it won't be available here for several months. He indicated that the "ose" models always come out later than the standard models, but he didn't explain why.

Hi Hawk
I am greatly impressed with your knowledge about av receiver.Finally I have decided to go with Marantz SR 7400 rather than Denon avr 3803 or Pioneer vsx d2012
Pls Guide for speaker from following brand I choose to purchase
Mission M70I series
Jbl E Nortidge series
B&W DM 600 S3
B&W DM 300 Series
Pls hawk suggest suitable spkr set.
Thanks
Waiting for your valuable advice
mailid rpmahale@jnport.com

Hi Hawk
Pls give your mail Id.

Rajesh

Hawk
Rajesh:

From your list, I like the Missions as the best combination with your receiver and a close second choice would be the B&W 600 S3s.

I have not seen the new Marantz 7400 yet--the Marantz dealers in my area are still closing out their stocks of the x300 series. But the sound should not be any different than a 7300, which I like very much. Please post your thoughts about the 7400 when after you get your system set up. I would enjoy hearing what you think of it.

Good luck!

Stuby
Rajesh,

If you have not already try going to http://www.audioreview.com/

There are plenty of user reviews on some of the speakers you have listed.Unfortunately the sr7400 is too new to have a review here but I will take care of that shortly.

I purchased the SR7400 and it arrives on Thursday! Can't wait to put it through the ringer.

Previous AV receivers:
Harmon Kardon AVR320
Sony DB825

Anonymous
I got the sr 7400 , teamed up with some Atlantic technologies 270 thx select speakers and all i can say is WOW , I never knew a ht setup would enhance my viewing as it has.Its the best money i have spent in a long time.GLAD I saw this site a while back.

Username: Stuby

Post Number: 1
Well, I have been using the 7400 for a couple days and it looks like I'm going to have to send it back.

While playing DVD's the sound intermittently drops out - this happens maybe once every ten to twenty minutes or so and when rewinding over the spot it cannot be repeated. I have tried two different DVD players, 2 fiber optic cables, and an rca digital link. All connections have been checked but the problem still occurs. Oddly, I have not heard this yet while playing the FM stereo or watching TV. (and no this is not a layer switch that happens once per DVD)

I'll call Marantz customer support on Monday - but more than likely its going back.

Too bad - I am very impressed and happy with the sound quality on all formats - stereo, CD, and DVD.

Username: Danw

Sorry to post this here, but ever since this board changed its look I no longer have a "start a new thread" button. How do I start a new thread?

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 4
Scroll down to the bottom of the page. It's there.

Username: Dtimps

Post Number: 7
I listened to the new B&W 705's through the SR5400 and I was very impressed with the sound but found that the 5400 did not have enough power to get the type of volume out of the B&W's (rated at 89 db) - the "protect" kept kicking the amp out and I found that very annoying. I am not talking about "ear splitting levels" either. I own the 7400 and when I brought the speakers home I found a hugh difference. I think the warmth of the 7400 help round out the VERY accurate 705's (which I found annoying to listen to at first because of all of the mid and high "exactness" (I'm not sure if that is a word). I hooked up a Def Tech SuperCube II and that also added warmth and was so impressed that I bought them all on the spot. Best move I ever made - I have them all playing right now and never want to turn them off. I did sample that system in the store with movies and was equally impressed. Have not had the opportunity to set up by HT yet so not much input on the B&W center but again, heard it in the store and at any volume level the detail was AMAZING.

Anonymous

Beware of the SR7400...I am having the exact same problem that Stuart mentioned on Dec. 13th.

I purchased the SR7400 only to spend 12 hours attempting to trouble-shoot the system because the sound kicks out repeatedly every time I watch a dvd (with a digital signal). The sound is fine when watching TV, litening to the radio, or a standard CD.

My SR7400 is definitely going back. Marantz was clearly too eager to get this thing on the shelf and didn't spend enough time testing the system.

I hope that others have had a better experience. The most frustrating thing is that the sound was absolutely amazing, when it worked!

Username: Gal

Post Number: 9
Just for curiosity have you guys tried playing DVD's jus via a different named input on your receiver e.g CD,VCR..., did the problem occur only while using the specific DVD input?

Anonymous

I sent my 7400 back, It gets hotter than anything else I have ever had and that just seems weird to me. It repeatedly did auto protect shut offs and had a crackle in a -14 to -8 db zone in one channel. I am driving 6 ohm speakers. 50topsellars was great with their return, but would not refund, only exchange. I am buying some other gear from topsellars instead of the AVR.

I bought a NAD T763 instead from a local dealer. The NAD T763 is really not comparable to the 7400 in terms of power (and price). If you have low impedance low effeciency speakers the 7400 is not a good choice IMO, besides I got a bad one and that puts a bad taste in my mouth for this unit. YMMV.

Anonymous

I am running the 7400 with B&W 705 series (89db rating)and have not had any of the problems that you have mentioned. I think that the system sounds awesome.

Username: Tardis

Hello Everyone,
I'm on my second 7400. The first unit literally go so hot after 30 minutes usage that I burned my hand on the top. This is despite the fact that I have more than adeqaute ventilation, and had the doors to my enterainment center open. I was also starting to get "popping" noises when playing through the digital inputs. A consatant annoying hiss permeated all speakers with all source material. I swapped it out for another unit, as the sound quality is beautiful. This unit has none of the above problems, but I've only been running it for about twenty hours. Interestingly enough, this unit has a "Quality inspected and Passed by Marantz USA" sticker on outside of box (above the serial number sticker). I'll bet they're having QC problems. So far so good with this one. I'll keep everyone posted! I love the sound of this unit, so I hope I've got a good one. Any questions, email me!

Anonymous

my speaks are 86 dB rating 2.83V at 1M. Seems some folks are having no problems. One can only conclude that there are some QC issues.

Post Number: 2
Well I'm on my second unit and the strangeness abounds. I no longer get sound drop outs while playing DVD's. Everything was going great until I started playing Satellite radio - specifically Blues or Reggae. I typically get one sound drop-out per song. I can record and rewind and the sound does not drop out at the same place.

Frustrating as hell because I love the sound quality on everything - this unit is so close to perfection.......sans all the frickin' problems!

Neither of the past two units had the "Quality Inspected.." sticker that Jim mentioned above.

The second unit has a yellow dot on the serial number label and this type of sticker is often used for inspections.

I think I'll take it back and try one more time! As far as heat the unit gets hot as hell and this is directly related to the sound level and number of speakers you are driving. I had one protection cutoff while playing the Talking Heads --Stop Making Sense DVD -- very loud on multi-channel speaker. Similar overdriving in other formats has not caused this safety kick-in.

I let the unit cool to room temp and then re-tested the Blues/Reggae drop-out -- even cool the sound drop-out occurs. It may be bass related?

3 Strikes and your out.

Post Number: 3
My Bad

Just tried my old Sony DB830 - It dropped out as well on the Blues satellite channel. Must have something to do with the Dish Network unit or hard drive?

I'll do some more troubleshooting but this is great news -

On another note, I used to like the Sony DB830 but it sounded like sh** next to the SR7400.

It's all relative I suppose.

Username: Kev5

I have the Marantz 7300ose and I had heat issues when I had it mounted in a stereo cabinet. It got very hot and went into protect mode one night while playing it at very high volumes in two channel stereo.

I moved it to an "open" stereo stand and I haven't had any problems since. I have owned the receiver for about a month now and have driven it pretty hard at times.

It seems the Marantz line tends to run fairly hot at higher volumes and needs good ventilation. The manual cautions for a minimum of 8 inches on all sides.

Username: Basfrommobay

I need opinions to compare Marantz 7400, Onkyo 801 and Yamaha 2400. I went to New York City (103 miles away) but could not find the Marantz. I cannot compare in my area since I can only choose from Best Buy and Circuit City.

Unregistered guest
Stuby,

I bought the 5400 yesterday. Experiencing audio dropout when watching DVD. I timed it, can be 2, 4, 8, 17 min. It looks even repetitive, like its resetting. It happens very fast, and you can almost not notice it in quite moments, but in more action scenes you definitely notice it, since the sub takes longer to kick in again (have it on auto signal detect.)

I am running QED SR75 coax. LG DVD player. I am a novice (my first setup), but also not an idiot. The 5400 was on auto signal detect, I took it off now to see if it still has the problem. I only wathced 2 Dolby DVDs (Matrix 2, and Fifth Element). Goiing to test it now with auto off, and DTS.

Is it possible that I am doiing something wrong?

Unregistered guest
I tested with DTS titles. The drop outs occur less often, 3 times in movie vs several times with DD. I took the auto signal off, it does not help.

Is my unit faulty?

Unregistered guest

I took the receiver back to the dealer today, and we tested it in the showroom. After 5 min the first dropout! Then 6 min later another one.

So it seems that the new X400 series does have some problems. I read elsewhere that 2 guys have the same problem with the 7400. Others have had heat issues. My 5400 did not get warm at all, ran very cool.

Will be getting the replacement next week. Borrowing a 5200.

Thank for you comments.

Melody
Unregistered guest
Hawk, I was wondering if you could help a novice like me. I plan on purchasing the Marantz 7400 and need some advice on speaker arrangement. My living room is apprx 19X11 and consists of 2 L shaped walls. How would you solve the doorway problem? Would you purchase 2 wireless speakers to be used opposite the entertainment center? Do you have any recommendations on wireless speakers? My budget will allow $600 on 4 speakers.

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 15
WTF is audio and DTS drop out? I still don't know what your 7400 is doing. Do you mean the sound cuts off all together every so often? If so that sounds like a major flaw and should be returned for a new unit without any doubt. Thats the first time I've heard that problem on the newer Marantz's so I must believe its an isolated case.

Hope your new one is flawless. Keep us posted.

Username: Fc101

Feedback again:

Received new 5400 earlier than expected.

This one has NO problem with audio dropout and also runs cool.

I will upgrade later in year to 7400, which looks like a killer!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us