Going Crazy? Considering Kenwood VR-8070

Bronze Member
Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 25
I've been at the age old crossroad for a while; that being separates or receiver. I think I've decided that a receiver will be better for my purposes. I've been thinking of the Denon 3805 or the Yamaha RV-X2400. But the Yammie doesn't have DPLIIx or firewire. Denon doesn't have THX or Video for Zone 2 or DPLIIx. But, the Kenwood has all but the fire wire and is cheaper (might be an apples to oranges comparison). The Kenwood also has 7.1 preout so I could use it as a pre/pro if I wanted and thus ultimately go separates (albeit in a modified form).

The Kenwood looks like the video handling is only 50MHz (according to Crutchfield) so I would think their might be some degredation of HD video if run through the receiver. Also the Kenwood is a kenwood (sorry to all the kenwood fans). But at this price point it seems it would be hard to go wrong...

I have a set of Mission speakers, velodyne sub, a pioneer 563a DVD/SACD. Any thoughts out there? Does anybody know of a review online I could check out?

Thanks.

abc#123
Unregistered guest
mr. speed the yamaha rx-v2400 does have the DPLIIx. Both the Yamaha and the Denon also have 7.1 preouts as well. I dont think that the Yammie and the Denon at that price range has firewire on their receivers. If i may I would suggest you look at the Marantz SR-7400 and the SR-8400. They will probably be better than the choices you have.
Now don't get me wrong, the yammie and the denon are great receivers, but i know the marantz would probably be better.
Also check into the Pioneer Elites as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 26
ABC,

Thanks for your input. I have read the yammie does and does not have it. Unfortunately I am not in the position to go to a store and confirm. I've emailed their customer service and am waiting to get back to me.

I've been very interested in the Marantz. In fact my idea was to get the kenwood, use it as a pre/pro then buy a Marantz amp. The catch with the Marantz, though it is apparntly more musical, it does not have THX. Do I really need THX, who knows (I'm sure there are a lot of discussion on this else on this board)?

I know I can't have it all so it is a question of compromise.

Thanks again for your reply.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us