Vintage amplifier troubles

matt with a capital P
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone,

I have a Technics SA-103 stereo amplifier (Its done me proud for years now), this morning I was listening to music with the volume just below half way (mind you that is preety loud) after a few Rap songs with bass I noticed smoke coming out of one of my speakers so I turned everything off including power, after this I re-connected everything exept the burnt out speaker and turned everything on, now the sound is all distorted and turning the volume knob has no effect on the volume what so ever.

I did notice after un hooking everything the heatsink and power transformer inside were very hot, I thought my amp might be in protect mode untill things cooled down but after waiting 3 hours it still sounds crap.

I checked all the capasicators inside and they look fine none are leaking or look blown, the fuses are still good and everything looks fine...

Soooooooo...ooooo....oooo what happened?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
May I ask HOW you checked if the caps were leaking?

matt with a capital P
Unregistered guest
I opened the case and looked at them (I've seen leaky capasicators before, black fluid?)

Might I add the amplifier is still getting power and and all the lights work still, but I have a sneaky suspicion the speaker channels are not working properly. Tell me can it be fixed?

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 235
Just a question of figuring out which amplifying stage is gone. Do you still have headphones sound right?

matt with a capital P
Unregistered guest
I'm not sure about the headphones because the plug it needs is old school and I dont have a set old enough to fit. But yeah basically theres a minimal amount of sound coming through the speakers and its preety crappy sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
If you have sound on the headphones (good sound), the power devices are gone. You must check this.

matt with a capital P
Unregistered guest
How do i check the power device?

Unregistered guest
I have a MARANTZ 2325 receiver 125 watts per channel. I came home from work the other day and it was making a loud buzzing sound. Regardless of component the only sound is the loud buzz. Could my amp be fried. I bought this new in 1976 it has been a great piece of equipment. Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
I have a MARANTZ 2325 receiver 125 watts per channel. I came home from work the other day and it was making a loud buzzing sound. Regardless of component the only sound is the loud buzz. Could my amp be fried. I bought this new in 1976 it has been a great piece of equipment. Any suggestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
I meant you must check for good sound on the headphones

matt with a capital P
Unregistered guest
Ok its exactly the same from the head phone plug.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
So, bad sound everywhere, looks like your power supply is gone or you have overdriven the inputs

matt with a capital P
Unregistered guest
How could I of overdriven the inputs?
Are power supplys replacible?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us