Hooking two stereos from different rooms together

Username: Madcow1515

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum or not, but here goes...

Okay, my record player is in my bedroom, but I spend most of the time in my living room, as that's where the computer is, and it's been bugging me that I can't listen to records while I'm in the living room. I was thinking about possibly running a cable from the stereo in my bedroom to the stereo in my living room. That way I can put on a record in my bedroom, walk into the living room, flip the stereo in here to AUX, and voila: LPs in the living room! I think it would be a really cool setup to have. The only thing that's really making me hesitate is that in order to keep from having a long ugly wire running through the house, I'd probably have to run the cable through the attic, which I've never done before. I thought that a 75-100ft cable would cost a lot of money, but I found a few really nice deals on Ebay. So really, the actual setting up is the only thing that's holding me back. Does this sound like a crazy idea? Would it be worth the trouble? I know it would be a lot easier to just get another record player and hook it up to this stereo, but I don't feel like having to buy another turntable, a needle for it, or a preamp for it.

Anyone know of an easy solution to pull something like this off?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Once you start climbing around in the attic you will probably decide another table sounds like a really good idea. Do you know how to locate the wall you want to drop the cable down once you're up in the attic? Do you know how to drop a cable down a wall if there's a firebreak in the wall? How about if the walls are filled with insulation? Are you sure you can drill the holes and not hit an electrical cable?

Even after you have the wires run you still have to go to the other room to change the record sides.

Post Number: 2
You're probably right. My dad is the one who has done all the attic work with adding new cable TV outlets in rooms and such. I also heard that once you start using over around 15 meters of cable, you start accumulating distortion. Sigh. Oh well, the only problem is that tracking down GOOD turntables is becoming more and more difficult. I new I shouldn't have given my old one away to a friend after I bought this newer one off Ebay.

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 41
They're not that hard to find at all. Rega, Music Hall, Pro-Ject... tons of great turntables if you can afford them.

If you want something a little cheaper just get a used Dual, or Thorens from Ebay.

Just avoid the old direct drives. That was my mistake. I bought a brand new Gemini turntable with Direct Drive and I have since sold it and am auditioning Music Hall and Rega tables. Belt drive is really where it's at.

Post Number: 3
Good news, actually. I asked my dad about it, and he wound up telling me I can have his old Thorens since he never uses it anymore. I'm pretty happy about this, as those old Thorens turntables are really great. I actually bought an old Thorens off Ebay a while back for $110. Good new turntables are way too pricey for me though. From what I've heard, if you really want a brand new high quality turntable, you'll be spending well over $500. Eh, I'm not enough of a vinyl nut to spend that much. I've heard bad things about direct drives. What's so bad about them?

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 42
Direct Drive creates a lot of extra unwanted noise and hum. For more on it, go to the phono group.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us