What are the advantages to running a non-clipped system???

Username: Handjuice

Post Number: 6
I've read a few places that non-clipped is best. What would the gains seriously be and how?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Clipping in an amplifier is severe distortion created by overdriving the amplifier beyound its power capacity. It will damamge components starting with blowing out tweeters.

Please consult the following link for more information, look at around July 08:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/56618.html

Post Number: 7
I am aware of what it is. I've just read that running your amp with the clipping "feature" turned off is best but I'm not sure how.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Let's start this again and this time please tell me what I actually need to know to answer your question. I don't know what amp you have that has a clipping feature you can turn on and off. Who told you to turn it off and did they give any reason why you should take their advice?

Post Number: 8
I have a C272 (NAD). I have bumped across a few sites, I'll need to try and find them again, that say you would get best sound with the clipping feature turned off. The amp I have does allow turning the "soft-clipping" on or off. I am trying to understand how this would improve the sound quality of the amp. Doesn't make sense to me.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 133
Unless you are really pushing your amp to the full extent of its power it is recommended that you turn the 'soft clipping' feature off. Clipping is the "squaring off" of an audio waveform that occurs when the signal level in a device exceeds that device's capacity to accurately reproduce it. Soft clipping rounds off the edges of the clipped waveform, making the sound easier to listen to, and less damaging to high frequency drivers (tweeters.)

With this circuit switched-on, there is potential for the amp to round off the treble even when not pushed to clipping, thus giving a poorer reproduction of the source. Whilst I can hear no discernable difference with the circuit on or off, unless you are partying and really cranking the volume, I'd leave the switch off just in the interests of optimum sound.

Post Number: 9
Cool. Thanks for the info. I will try it out both ways. How does one determine if they are getting close to the full extent of the amp? I have the amp pushing a pair of DM604's which are rated to 200w.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 135
Your B&W's are rated up to 200w and they are very sensitive at 90db so don't draw much amplifier power to play loud. Consequently, I expect your ears will start bleeding before the amplifier starts clipping! I shouldn't think you'll manage to play beyond the capabilities of your amp and speakers but if you're that worried, I'd suggest setting the soft-clipping switch to 'on' if you're using the volume dial beyond say 2 o'clock.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 136
Further to my previous message...

Clipping sounds bad, you'll know at once that something isn't right - like interference on the tv etc. It isn't a subtle thing that only experts can detect, it sounds nasty!

If your speakers are distorting - lower the volume. Either the amp is clipping or your speakers cannot handle the power. I really don't think you'll experience either of these problems though with the amp and speakers you have.....unless you rig them up at a wedding or something! For home use with all that power on tap, soft clipping shouldn't really be required.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 229
Yes, Sun's right! Just think the ideal amp would be a pure copper wire with amplification capability, that way the signal path would be amazingly reduced to one contact point (the speaker's). Following this idea, anything you put in series with the signal path (such as clipping, overcurrent or overvoltage protection circuits) will only degrade the signal quality, get the idea?
Enjoy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us