Bryston Factory Tour and Upcoming Products - Cool Stuff

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3560
http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layou t=blog&id=71&Itemid=191

Hi Fi haven.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4830
I read that article - pretty cool.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1215
Lots of discussion on this - on the Bryston AudioCircle site. The headphone amp has had a dedicated thead going way back.

What isn't touched on here - part of the skunk works is James Tanner's work with Axiom on a line of Bryston speakers. The prototype is dubbed the JT-1 at the moment.

It will be an active electronic crossover sign with enhancements on the drivers used in the Axiom M80 speakers but quite a step up overall.

All exiciting stuff - to say the least.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4831
I hadn't heard anything about that George. It does sound kinda interesting, although from what I've heard and read about Axiom speakers, I would think a Bryston/Axiom pairing would sorta be a match made in hell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1216
Actually Dave - though I haven't heard Axiom myself, I trust that James would not be working with a company that didn't have the know how. Since Axiom has many year experience - I believe aroud 40 and own their own aneochoic chamber, I doubt there products would go far from typical Canadian home grown speaker companies sound characterstics - neutral, ruler flat, detailed, low distortion etc. such as what we've seen from Paradigm, PSB etc. Given that Bryston is neutral yet detailed and Axiom is the same - the result should be very neutral. However, poor recordings would sound like crap on a neutral and revealing system as there would be no forgiveness.

Actually, the JT-1 will have no passive crossover whatsoever but only can be used with an active cross-over setup. James seems to be pursuing the accepted best pricinples in the design of the speakers. They won't be cheap at an rough price of $8000/pair.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1414
George, it's been a bit since I've heard Axiom speakers, but my experience with them was less than positive. At the time at least, they represented the antethesis of what I consider good sound. Thin, edgy....with very little presence at all. As a matter of fact, it took about 10 minutes for "listener fatigue" to ensue.

I'm sure my ears are different than others, so they may be someones cup of tea. But they weren't at all to my liking. I agree with Dave, matching them to Bryston might yield a very analytical presentation.....which would be my sonic hell.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3562
I believe the Bryston/Axiom speakers are designed from the ground up and any technology previously used in Axiom speakers is pretty much thrown right out the door.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1115
Very interesting. I'm sure it'll sound good as they are pretty much starting from a clean slate, save for the M80 driver, and they are shooting high. At $8K it's out of my price range though. Will it really that much better than PMC, which is usually regarded as being a great match with Bryston, and is pretty expensive in it's own right? PMC is almost the target that they have to try to beat. The active crossover is a differentiating factor, of course.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3563
lol Very good points Dan. I love PMC speakers and It would have to be pretty damn good to beat them. Especially at the 8K price point. Bryston usually don't do anything without going full out on it so it will be interesting what they come up with. I am guessing Bryston need a chamber that was local which leaves Lenbrook, Paradigm and Axiom which the only one out of those three that do not make competing Amps is Axiom so perhaps that was a deciding factor. Or maybe I am way off.lol

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1116
Well...

http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/axiom_a1400-2.htm

That said, Axiom amps are clearly more under the radar than NAD or Anthem.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1415
Huh, wasn't even aware they were into electronics.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4838
I seem to recall at one they point they had a ridiculously expensive 7 channel Class D amp.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1117
There's an A1400-8 as well. 8-channels.

IMO they should make a higher end speaker. Once you leave the entry level I doubt most would even consider Axiom. If you want a high quality monitor and are considering anything up to $1,000 or $2,000 are you really going to buy a $350 speaker that looks as cheap as Axiom's offerings? I guess they are more focused on offering affordable HT set ups rather than 2-channel. Still, would be nice to have more choice.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4839
I've never heard them, but the faux wood vinyl wrap is a deal killer.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3564
lol definitely.

Wow never knew Axiom had amps...well there goes that theory.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4840
They're probably rebranded something or other anyway Nick.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3565
Very true David.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1217
I don't believe it's a re-brand but rather an in-house development, perhaps with some outsourced engineering help. Here's a review - the editor was quite impressed:

http://canadahifi.com/index.php/axiom-audio-a1400-8-digital-amplifier/

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4855
Where is it made?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4486
James Tanner said Axiom was chosen because they manufacture their own drivers, among other reasons.

I'm pretty sure it's not the same driver as in the M80. I think it's modified a bit.

I'm not sure who's going to make the final product; my guess is that Axiom will make the drivers to Bryston's spec, and Bryston will make most everything else and assemble in-house. Axiom is helping with the final design.

Tanner thinks highly of Axiom in general. I heard a pair a while back and was less than impressed. At least they make what they sell. I can respect that.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4859
"Axiom" and "impressed" seem to be words that are mutually exclusive, from the opinions I've heard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1218
Hey Dave,
I can't give my personal opinion on Axiom's products; however, James Tanner has a pair of their M80 in one of his four listening rooms - at least for sometime. As well, there are a number of positive reviews from respected sources such a 6moons: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/axiom/axiom.html

Have you heard them and thought they sounded bad or what review / customer or professional spoke of them badly - just curious?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4860
I haven't heard them George, but the general consensus is "bright". I asked Jamie about them (whose opinion I trust) and he described them as smashingly bright.

This coming from a guy with hearing damage, lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
I wouldn't buy a pair unless I had an audition. They do have metal tweeters but if engineered properly they should not sound "bright".

Some say Bryston is bright - it's not but when compared with a warm / tubelike sound - it could be considered brighter.

Not sure at the moment if Axiom will be at the TAVES show the end of this month - if so, I'll look to get an audition.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us