Receiver for Paradigm Studio 20 v3?

Anonymous

Can anyone suggest a receiver that would mate well with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v3? 70/30 music/movies in a medium room.

I have been using NHT-SB2/Denon 1804. I don't think the Denon 1804 has enough power for the Studio, correct?

I really enjoyed my old Paradigm Mini monitors because it had more bass than the SB2, but the SB2 are really clear or bright.

I want to enjoy music without having to turn on the subwoofer.

Jimvm
Unregistered guest
If all you're driving is two Studio 20's, I think the AVR-1804 should do fine. The published specs for the Studio 20 indicate a room sensitivity rating of 90, so they are fairly efficient and easy to drive. The suitable amp power range is from 15-150 watts; your AVR-1805 falls in there somewhere (published wpc is 90). I'd try it and see how your receiver does before spending money unnecessarily.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophiliac

Boise, ID USA baby

Post Number: 14
Denon normally does Paradigm really well. I had a 3802 with 2 pair of Studio 60 V.2s and a Studio CC and it sounded fantastic. I install Paradigm and Denon combos a lot and never heard one sound "bad". If you can get into a 2105-3805 you should be good to go. Try Marantz as well. Rotel makes great stuff....Depends on your budget. But get the best you can afford. Whatever sounds best to YOU :-)

Anonymous

I forgot to put my budget is $800. I just read lots of reviews about how the Studio 20 doesn't shine, etc. without enough power. However, I will try it with my 1804 1st before spending more $.

One last question, does anybody think it is a better idea to move up to NHT SB-3 instead of switching to the Paradigm Studio 20?

Unregistered guest
Anonymous........as pointed out above, the Studio 20's are reasonably efficient. Perhaps you need to rely more on your ears than your eyes when chosing audio equipment? In other words, don't believe everything you read. The NHT's could have a phase issue with your 1804, causing you to think they are bright. Subwoofers add a whole new set of problems to the mix.

Jimvm
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, you wrote, "One last question, does anybody think it is a better idea to move up to NHT SB-3 instead of switching to the Paradigm Studio 20?"

I can't tell you if it is a better idea; only you can determine that -- by listening to both speakers under identical conditions (preferably in your home).

Anonymous

Thank you for everybody's comments/suggestions. I was lucky enough to borrow my mate's NHT SB3, brought it in the store (couldn't bring home the Studio 20s), and did a comparison with the Studio 20s. It was matched up with Denon 3805.

I like the sound of the Studio 20s when it came to music. Since, my mix is 80%music 20%movies, I decided on the Paradigm Studio 20s.

As for upgrading the receiver, I'm pretty happy with my Denon 1804 for now so I might use the $$ for stands/rack.

Once again, thank for everybody's comments.

Anonymous

Thank you for everybody's comments/suggestions. I was lucky enough to borrow my mate's NHT SB3, brought it in the store (couldn't bring home the Studio 20s), and did a comparison with the Studio 20s. It was matched up with Denon 3805.

I like the sound of the Studio 20s when it came to music. Since, my mix is 80%music 20%movies, I decided on the Paradigm Studio 20s.

As for upgrading the receiver, I'm pretty happy with my Denon 1804 for now so I might use the $$ for stands/rack.

Once again, thank for everybody's comments.

Anonymous

Once again, thank you for everybody's comments.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us