My new kitchen radio

Username: N_a_c

Post Number: 2
So, we re-did the kitchen, and I've been researching a worthy radio to put into it. It is mainly for background music. The radio is on most of the day and we spend more time in the kitchen than in any other room. Key requirements:
* good sound
* internet radio capability, like Pandora, etc.
* something that doesn't take up a lot of space
* interesting looking would be a bonus
* iPod hookup was optional – we tend to use our ipods out and about, the existing radio / ipod dock we have is a pain because inevitably our ipods are in a bag or somewhere else in the house, or with someone outside of the house. I'd even consider buying an iPod just for the room, but it would inevitably be taken away at some point.
* Good value

I decided that with almost any choice – the speakers would go on top of the cabinets. Not ideal for good sound, but probably comparable to mounting speakers under the cabinets. And just putting them on the counter would take too much space.

I considered a few choices:
* a Marantz M-CR603 paired with quality speakers – perhaps B&W 685 which I've often read about. About 1400 total. Would take up a about a square foot of countertop space. Looks ok, but just like a hi-fi component.
* Denon M38 – $400. Would require iPod. Would want to upgrade speakers later.
* Fatman iTube Doc Mk II or similar – about $600. Good looking, but would take even more counter top space. Would require iPod. Would want to upgrade speakers later
* Squeezebox touch with an amp & speakers. Seems a bit pricy for what it is, I'd basically rather just buy another iPod touch and try really hard not to let anyone take it from the room.

With some creativity, I've upgraded audio in the TV room, office and kitchen. I love the solution so far:

* Grace Digital Solo IRA500. $75 from Amazon. Very small. I haven't used the Squeezebox Touch – but the Solo is very easy to use. It is internet radio focused rather than focused on pulling mp3s from the computer, a big plus for me. My wife made a little wood box to put it in and mount on the wall under a cabinet. Wires run through the wall into a pantry. Amp is in the pantry. Speaker wires run through the pantry to the top of the cabinets. In other words, takes up no counter space, just a little box hanging on the wall. Awesome.
* New speakers for the TV room (Pioneer FS51-LR). I then took my Wharfedale 8.1 bookshelf speakers for the kitchen. The Wharfedale are more musical than the Pioneer's – after a quick test I prefer them. But the Pioneers have more range down low and therefore are better suited for movies.
* Topping TP30 USB DAC / T-amp for my computer, then I took my analog T-amp from the computer for use in the kitchen. The USB DAC should have more clarity than the RCA out from the motherboard.

Total cost - $400. The Grace Digital, t-amp and Wharedales sound terrific. Better than I expected. And delighted that I take up basically no space. And the Grace device has better features and is easier to use than I expected. Very very happy. Even if I wasn't taking pieces from the other rooms, you could replicate my setup for about the same $400 with a regular t-amp, the Grace device, and a decent pair of bookshelf speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 199
Very nice Article i like this post i shared to my facebook friends... Please submitting more....

Thanks for...

Username: Cavinya

Post Number: 1
What furniture and what did you use when remodeling your kitchen? What materials did you use? I am very interested because I am now looking for what to buy for my kitchen, I am doing repairs there now

Username: Dave_william

Post Number: 1
I am also modeling my kitchen as I will be shifting to my new place, I was out of ideas for my kitchen your post though is gonna
help me model my kitchen,
Thank you

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3655
I set the bar differently. I just wanted GOOD fidelity and MONO FM was fine.

Tivoli ONE. They are about 180$ these days and have been upgraded with an Aux input......

You might be able to find a couple oldsters at garage sales. The PROTON, maybe Grundig or KLH or even SONY made

radios which may qualify. New with features like Bluetooth or various internet connectivity? Nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us