Denon vs Harman Kardon: Please advise

Shelly
Please share your thoughts on which you think is better: The HK 230 (or perhaps the 325) or the Denon 1804. Thanks.

Marantzfan
Depends.

What speakers are you going to or are using? what are you using for (music or movies).

Mike Fisher
Unregistered guest
I`m looking for the same receivers, HK 330 or Denon 1804 and I'm planning to use Klipsch reference series as speakers. Which receiver you think should be the best and why??

Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 38
Mike I would most definitly go with the HK.. I think the Denon/Klipsch may be too bright of a combination where the HK is a warmer and a little more laid back sounding receiver and a very good match for Klipsch.

Mike Fisher
Unregistered guest
Thank you very much Paul for your feedback. HK was my 1st choice but you know... we always need confirmation...

If anyone as any other comments, feel free...

Anonymous

I just bought the H/K avr 430 and I'm very pleased indeed. Very warm, natural sound.

Mike F
Unregistered guest
Hey anonymous,

what kind of speakers do have with your HK 430??

Username: Tmleafsfan93

Post Number: 1
I am new into world of home theater and I have decided to purchase a mission surround system and I am wondering which receiver to get. I am purchasing the mission m34 as my fronts, the m31 as my rears, the larger Mc2 for the center, and either the 8 inch or 10 inch mission sub. my questions are as follows:

1. I am planning to buy either the Denon 1604 or 1804 (definitely leaning towards the 1804). I this receiver a good match with mission speakers? Which of the 2 Denons would you recommend, and are there any other receivers I should consider purchasing to match the Mission m3 series?

2. Assuming I stick with Denon, is it worth it to spend the extra cash on the 1804, instead of the 1604?

3. Which of the 2 subs would you recommend, 8 inch or 10 inch? Not a large room, probably about 15 or 16 feet by 13 feet (just estimating).

All opinions will be greatly appreciated ... especially you Hawk, you sem to really know what you're talking about!!

Mike Fisher
Unregistered guest
Daniel,

for the 1604 and 1804, there isn`t much difference between both. The 1804 is a bit more powerful (90 watts instead of 75 for the 1604) and as the following features as "extra" (wich the 1604 doesn`t have):

-Multi-Zone stereo pre-amp level audio outputs, with Discrete Power on/off, Source selection and Remote Volume Control
-Assignable 6th Channel Amplifier, for Second Zone with Discrete Remote Volume Control
-On-Screen Display

Plus you have few more inputs in the 1804 then in the 1604.

As for the speakers, MISSION should be great with Denon. I know as a fact that, here in Canada, Denon is the exclusive distributor of MISSION speakers, thus it should be a very good match with any Denon receivers.

The only thing maybe you should look for is the power. For instance, you said that you wanted the M31 as your rears. Those speakers do have a maximum output of 75 watts wich is not enough for the 1804 that has 90 watts per channel..

Hope it helps a bit.... and good shopping!!

Mike

Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 6
If you're using a 5.1 system the Denon 1804 won't put out 90 watts per channel. It will be more like 50 or 60 watts x 5. It's better to have too much power than to underpower your system. Clipping and distortion start when your receiver is straining to power your speakers. Get the Denon 1804.

Many people have been ordering the 1803 from 6ave.com and have the received the 1804 instead. I guess the 1803 is no longer available and they automatically upgrade to the 1804 for the $369 price. You can actually call them to verify.

Username: Iceberg

Post Number: 14
I have the Denon AVR 1804 with Mission speakers. Awsome sound. Would recommend. I also looked at HK before i bought the Denon and found the denon sounded better with Home Theatre. I just use my Denon for HT. For music though HK might be a better choice. For HT go with the Denon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us