Bose speaker specs

Username: Apsoul

Post Number: 1
Before you get your breeches in a bunch for me posting about bose, hear me out first. I was given a bose acoustimass 7 bass module, with research i discovered that it left a couple frequency holes. I don't remember where i found said information, and bose doesn't list specs of their components. So i dismantled the bass module, to get the speakers out, and install them into another cabinet (and use them at a frequency range the drivers were designed for). I couldn't find any information stamped on the back of the speakers, so now i'm kind of stuck.

I am currently building my own speaker cabinets in order to utilize the vast quantity of low-mid quality speakers I have. So my main question here is does anyone know the specs of the speakers used in the acoustimass 7 bass module? If you don't know the specs, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help,
~Apsoul

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5586
Haha good luck finding specs. As you said, Bose doesn't list specs since you're supposed to "hear" how great their components are. The only specs I've seen for Bose equipment was a single webpage by some enthusiast with a frequency response graph found here: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Post Number: 2
Thanks, that was the site that I had found a few months ago. So the drivers I pulled from the bass module are still useless. Thanks bose for yet another disappointment.

Well on the same sort of subject:
I acquired a set of speakers from the all to popular 90's Aiwa 3-cd changer stereo system. The model on back of the speakers is SX-NA115. At least Aiwa is considerate enough to give the impedance rating (6 ohms with this set) on their speakers. Any other information available on this particular set of drivers? Same purpose for them

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1733
If you are going to do DIY a pair of speakers, you ought to get the best brand new drivers you can and design a cabinet around the parameters of those drivers. Unless you are experienced with DIYing speakers, you should get help from someone with experience in this area who can help you determine proper cabinet size and crossover design. I don't have experience with this, so I can't offer anymore help in this area. Speakers that come with shelf systems are crap though. That much I can assure you of.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5591
Yeah, a good place to get drivers for a DIY set of speakers is http://www.parts-express.com/. They have really nice drivers with all the parameters you need to build an appropriate box. You really don't want to start with speakers that were meant to sound good with a plastic or thin MDF enclosure...and IMO would be a real shame since you're probably making really nice cabinets for them. You can get decent drivers for 10-30$ a piece. I recommend Dayton and Tang Band.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2494
Online 'freebie' software exists.
http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/Box/

If you want to 'start from scratch'.....
The formulas are all public domain, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel here......Just be real good with Excel and make up a spreadsheet......

Post Number: 3
Thanks, my original project was to take crap speakers (acquired at no cost to me) and use them to their fullest, but at $10-$25 per driver I could build a nice system on a budget. Not to mention it will probably sound better than anything I have ever listened to. I didn't realize drivers were that cheap. I will look into that. I have some other questions, but they probably deserve a new topic as nothing else I have to say refers to bose. Thanks again, and you'll be hearing from me again soon i'm sure.

~Apsoul

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5592
Great. If you can take photos of your finished project that would be wonderful!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us