Can't Use Channel A & B

Username: Erikr

Post Number: 7
When I connect my speakers to my amplifier (onkyo) they can only run on A. And when I put B and A on together they don't play.
How do I make the speakers work while the two channels are both enabled. Because I have other speaker I want to wire to the amp but then the speakers wont output.

I also have a sub hooked up and a pre amp hooked up. The preamp is connected to my computer by DCA cables

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1710
First off, left and right are channels. A & B are speaker outputs, not channels.

It sounds like the receiver was not designed to power two pairs of speakers at the same time which, IMO, is not generally a good idea. Many receivers on the market today are designed so that you can only have one pair of speakers on at a time. You can only be in one room at a time anyway. Check your owner's manual or contact Onkyo to see if this is the case. If Onkyo says you should be able to have both pairs of speakers running at once, there may be something wrong with the unit.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16511

More and more receivers/amplifiers are being wired as either/or but not both if they provide speaker switching at all. The intention is to protect the amp from low impedance loads which commonly occur when two or more pairs of speakers are driven simultaneously.

You have several options depending on how old the amplifier is. If it's new, exchange it for another amplifier with A and B speaker switching. Depending on the impedance of your speakers, you could run a speaker selection switch from the "A" outputs. A relatively cheap switch typically has a load resistor which you can switch in line to provide some protection to the amp. This is not a perfect solution - it's a less expensive solution - but such a switch generally works fine if you don't intend to crank up the volume on the system. The better solution would be to buy either a speaker selector switch which uses autoformers or, depending on how you want the system wired, speaker volume controls which use autoformers. Either way the autoformers allow the amplifier to always see a safe impedance load as you add more speaker pairs to the load. Any audio shop that sells whole house systems or home automation systems should be able to get you what you're looking for if you go with the autoformer type devices.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1715
The autoformer solution is expensive though.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16516

Define "expensive" for someone else. It's not your place to do.

Why be contrary, james? I've given the op three options to solving his problem and achieving his wishes. Four if you count exchanging the amplifier. I am not forcing the op to take any of my suggestions. If more than two pair of speakers are to play simultaneously and the amplifier doesn't have "A" and "B" switching, those are the options. He can physically wire the speakers in series if he desires but that doesn't appear to be a viable solution - maybe it is, he didn't say just how he wanted the speakers arranged.

Otherwise, he has several options. He can decide how much effort and how much expense he wishes to put into getting what he wants based upon those suggestions. OK?

Don't be contrary.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15697
I see no more expense involved in such a switch, which can be used over again, as opposed to a blown up receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1718
"It's not your place to do so."

It's not your place to tell me what to do Jan and there is nothing contrary about pointing out that autoformer based solutions are more expensive than others. While the AF would be the best, it will cost more. Why do you feel the need to give me crap AGAIN!?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1720
I was merely pointing out that AFs are not cheap which is what you should've done Jan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1721
The cheapest AF I could find was $450 a pair. Most receiver owners are not going to find this price especially cheap Jan.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16534

Shut up, james.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1722
Shut up Jan!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16538

ROTFLMAO!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1724
Showing how how childish you are again Jan? What a surprise! There is nothing wrong with what I told Erik and you know it.

Jan, you have proven time and again that you are childish, insecure cyber bully. You feel threatened by anyone who states a differing opinion from yours. Why? No one is trying to compete with you when it comes to knowledge of audio. So why make a scene every time someone perceives something another way or says they prefer solid state over tubes, etc? Every time anyone offers advice that is unlike yours, you argue it. Why not make Erik aware that AF based switches and volume controls cost more than other solutions? Then, he can decide if he wants to pay $450+ for a pair or go a cheaper route. Why is it so hard for you to give your advice, me to give mine and let the op decide?

Quite frankly Jan, this on going feud you wish to have with me has grown boring and tiresome.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16540

STILL ROTFLMAO!!!

"Why is it so hard for you to give your advice, me to give mine and let the op decide?"

Read the thread, james. You define the word "idiot" when you say crap like that.

You have literally no self awareness, do you?

Everything is always someone else's problem, isn't it? Never your own no matter what you do. Always someone else's.

Read the d*mn thread.

"Quite frankly Jan, this on going feud you wish to have with me has grown boring and tiresome."

Then leave. Go away! You don't know sh*t and all you do is get in the way.

Leave!

'Cause - quite frankly - I'm tired of you p*ssing me off every week over your stupid, childish bullsh*t!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1726
Wanna see an idiot Jan? Look in the mirror!

You can stop telling me what to do and say. I'm not leaving and I'm not backing down from you. You know d*mn well that there is nothing wrong with telling someone that autoformers is the more expensive route to go. Why do you get p!seed off at what I say? Because you have no control over your emotions. That's why. Again, you are a childish, bombastic, insecure, narsasistic, self righteous cyber bully with nothing better to do than act like you rule this forum. There is not one thing wrong with any of the advice I gave Erik here. What has happened between you & me was intact started by you Jan. You define the term, Piece of sh!t Jan. Go shove a telephone pole up your a** and rotate!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1728
IE: Shut up Jan!.....and No, it did not take me 20 + minutes to type this just because it's been over 20 min since the last post you f*ucking idiot!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1731
Elk: Jan has been banned from many forums.

Jan: Don't believe what Elk says.

No, after seeing your conduct here, I shouldn't believe that you've been banned from many forums. No, not at all!

ROTFLMAO!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us