Edifier S330D *vs* Logitech Z623 *vs* Logitech Z2300 *vs* Altec Lansing MX6021

Username: Anarchoi

Post Number: 1
Ok well i just spent the whole day looking for speakers on the internet. Not i can't decide which one to pick, so i need your suggestions and i'd like to hear if anyone had experience with those speakers.

The speakers will be hooked on a HDTV in my room. Will be used 75% to watch movies and 25% to listen music. No gaming at all.

I'm open to hear more suggestions, but my budget is around $150.... $180 is really the maximum i'm willing to spend

here's my choices :

Edifier S330D
- 125$
- 72W RMS (18w per speaker)
- Optical input
- 40W subwoofer (6.5")
- 85 db
- Frequency Respense: 55Hz - 20KHz

Logitech Z623
- 135$
- THX
- 200 watts RMS
- 130 watts subwoofer
- 35 watts each speakers
- 95 db

Logitech Z2300
- 180$
- THX
- 200 watts RMS
- 120 watts subwoofer (8")
- 40 watts each speakers
- 117 db
- Frequency response: 35 Hz @ 20 kHz

Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX6021
- 160$
- Don't like design, so it wouldnt be my first choice
- 200 watts RMS
- 66 watts rms each speakers
- 106 db

Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500
- 230$
- 230 watts RMS
- 8" subwoofer

Bronze Member
Username: Klepsydra

Post Number: 33
At that price point I'd forget about surround sound and just get the best stereo speakers you can afford.

I've heard good things about Sony SS-B3000 speakers for what you pay for them. They are $69 at Vanns.

You can find 5.1 receivers new for $80 to $100 on the low end. Then you can add surrounds and a sub later when you can afford it. The SS-B3000 should sound decent without a sub too.

The other thing to do is look on Craigslist you can usually find a pretty good deal on slightly used equipment.

Post Number: 2
Hmmmm interessing.... i just gave a look to the Sony Speakers... i never really paid attention to this speaker brand until today

SS-B3000 looks interessing but according to reviews i should invest in SSF-6000 or SSF-7000 instead

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-7000-Floor-Standing-Speaker-Woofer/dp/B000OG4E2U

those speakers looks awesomeee.... 2 big floor standing speakers with one subwoofer

However i am a bit scared because all of the reviews says the speakers are very boomy on the bass, lack details and clarity, and you have to continuously turn volume up and down to hear the dialogs, then turn it down in action scenes...

so i wonder if i should invest in a Sony SSF-7000 or put my money into a Polk or Energy system (more expensive).....

leo stierer
Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2473
What are you hooking the speakers up to?
Do you already have an HT receiver?

Less may be more......that is to say, a PAIR of speakers at your budget will sound much better than any 5.1 system you can possibly find.

Post Number: 3
no i dont have any HT receiver. will i need it if i buy the Sony SSF-7000 ? i'll be hooking the speakers on my HDTV for my media player

Bronze Member
Username: Klepsydra

Post Number: 34
Yes for the Sony speakers you will need a recievier or at a minimum and 2-channel amplifier. For example here is a listing of cheaper 5.1 receivers. I don't really have one that I've heard great things about but if you do go the receiver + speakers I would suggest putting more money into the receiver then the speakers. The speakers are easier to upgrade later.

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-audio-receivers/p/73

You will connect the audio output from the TV or blu-ray/DVD player to the reciever which amplifies it enough to drive the speakers.

The other option would be the active powered speakers, like the ones you listed. They have built in amps so you won't need to worry about a receiver. If you want to go this route I have a pair of Audioengine A2s that sound great. Though they don't have much bass so if you really like your bass you would want to add a subwoofer later. M-Audio also makes some nice ones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us