Cerwin Vega 715 question.

dwsw
Unregistered guest
I understand the Cerwin Vega 715s have a separate enclosure inside for the 15 inch woofer. I'm considering isolating the 15" woofers, and powering them with separate sub amps connected to the LFE channel from my receiver. Also I would change or remove the crossover to the midrange speakers. Currently the crossover for the mids are 500 Hz. Has anyone tried this yet? Any suggestions on the crossover that I can purchase, or could I directly drive the mids without a crossover, and let them go as low as they can, and change the speaker size setting in the receiver for the best sound? Any idea what the size of the 15" woofer chamber is?

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
all i can say is that powering those 15's seperatly is going to give you most likely a veryboomy sound because of the small size of the enclosure which is probably less than half of what is sugested by thiel small parameters and the 15''s spereate would have to stay very close to the other speakers at least the length of a 500hz wavelength at maxium because 500hz is high enough to localize pretty good

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I don't know the CV's but I would say your question is similar to, "I just bought a Cavalier and I want to replace the four banger with a blown 454 big block. How do I go about doing that? And will I need new tires?".
If you really don't know the answer to your question about the midrange and X-over you apparently don't have any idea what will happen to the mids when they try to reach to below 80Hz.
You sound ambitious but I think you should do some studying before you start tearing products apart without a good idea how they will go back together. Why don't you try a good book like "The Loudspeaker Cookbook". You can find it online.

dwsw
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys, for your responses.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us