Speaker cabinet color: What's your favorite?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5567
Just was curious about what color of speaker cabinets you guys like. It seems that generally there is a cherry color, a black, and a lighter tan on most speaker models. Also, how important is speaker cabinet color to you when buying speakers? I'm generally a fan of black, but the cherry colored cabinets look very nice,.,

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1664
My favorite speaker color is whatever matches my decor. Fortunately, my room is a neutral color and my speakers are black. This good because the rest of my system is black.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 561
I like gloss black... it looks sharp and doesn't clash with anything in general. NHT basically makes only gloss black so .... I was fortunate there.

I do appreciate some of the wood grain patterns used. I remember some of the speakers av123 used to offer looked beautiful.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1098
Just like a car, what looks best will depend on which speaker it is. For example, I'd never buy a Paradigm Studio speaker in cherry, as it looks a little too orange. Rosewood is the nicest finish on that speaker. However, cherry on my old Wharfedale Evo2 was beautiful. Richer and darker than Paradigm's cherry finish.

I guess I'm the typical guy who doesn't care that much about decor. I'll buy the color of speakers that I think looks best, and if it doesn't fit the decor, oh well, we'll get by!! I'm still single btw, so maybe there's a reason this has worked for me so far.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14337
Bubinga Veneer, Pommele Premium or Waterfall.
I'm looking at stripping the rosewood veneer off of one pair of my KEF Reference mains, and re-doing them in that Bubinga.
stuff runs about $13.50/sq foot for the veneer.

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4460
I guess it's like a car - whatever color the speaker wears the best. That being said, I'm not a fan of black on speakers at all. I used to really like NHT's gloss black, but over the years I've come to be anti-black finish, gloss, lacquered, flat or anything else.

I try to match the cabinet finish with the rest of the wood stuff in the room, but it never quite worked out.

Zu's Ferrari red and something or other blue are really cool IMO. I'm just not sure how long I could live with them.

I like the stuff Glasswolf posted, but for speakers it's a bit much for my eyes. I really like that stuff in car interiors though, so long as it doesn't get to be overbearing.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4461
My favorite cabinets by far are the previous Sonus Faber teak cabinets. They changed them recently, and it just doesn't work right IMO. Focal's Chorus range's Wenge cabinets are probably my current favorites. Totem's cabinets are up there too, but their Mahagony cabinets are a bit too much for me.

I want to like the bamboo stuff some companies are doing, but there's too many lines for me. The color's pretty cool though.

Now back to my manly side...

Threw a great steak on the grill this evening. A couple of good chicken sausages too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1666
I probably wouldn't care much about matching decor either, afterall, my wife doesn't spend much time in the music room. I guess after nearly 1/4 century of being married, a man begins to care about such things.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14343
I guess maybe the sample squares aren't a good feel for how speakers look in a nice veneer.
here are some samples, just because I had em handy.. whatever. I just love the rich look of good veneers. Currently I have my mains in Rosewood (KEF) and my smaller speakers in white. My ESL panels are trimmed in Cherry.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14344
...and rosewood

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1679
Wow! Very nice GlassWolf!

Bronze Member
Username: Klepsydra

Post Number: 20
I love the look of pure Bamboo speakers.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-P4#gallery

Gold Member

Post Number: 1681
Those are nice too Dan.

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 327
I use to love Black, but now my Cherry Arivas have grown on me.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14598
I really like the Harbeth Eucalyptus and Ebony finishes.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5572
Really nice suggestions. I ran across this signature series in Tiger's Eye High Gloss from B&W and wooow:

Upload
Upload

They would look horrible with my current furniture, but what a finish!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14600
Nothing wrong with mixing woods. Matchy match...no good. I watch too much HGTV!

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14386
Tiger Eye maple is a lovely finish, too. KEF used that veneer for some of their Series One throough Four reference line in the ninties, as well. I'm a big fan. I use veneers myself for some custom speaker cabinets I make. It's always hard to decide on just one for a project!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1691
You're right Art, nothing wrong with mixing woods and yes you do watch too much HGTV (just kidding).

I like a lot of woods. I prefer darker woods in large rooms and lighter woods in smaller rooms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us