Decision - Requesting Help

DFA
Unregistered guest
Greetings,

Allow me to introduce you to my situation. I would like to replace my old sound system.

I had an old JVC 265 Watt Dolby Pro logic receiver hooked up to the following speakers.

2 140 Watt bookshelves
2 Polk Audio Rears (m3s I think)
1 Yamaha 160 watt center

Anyways, it was cool when i was 13 years old and it's time to replace. What would be ideal for me is a setup that has quality sound I can appreciate, but also something that I can abuse a little when my hunnies and friends come into my dorm room and get liquored up.

I could see spending $400 for this.

I think a new receiver and sub would do the trick. But do you think those home theater packages would be more reasonable? I've seen refurbished pieces going for $100-200 less than standard price, are they reliable?

I am ears to what you audio experts suggest.

Thank you for your time,

-D

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 465
If you want something to abuse for when your hunnies and friends go in your dorm room to get liquored up, just get anything.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1076
when you are liquored up, the quality of the music takes a backseat. Just stick with what you have.

But if you want a home theater in a box just go to your local audio shop and pick anything that will fall within your budget.

Refurbished pieces are reliable.

DFA
Unregistered guest
Ok, maybe I didn't communicate my needs well in that post. I do appreciate the replies.

I enjoy guality and I'd like to buy something that will produce rich sound for when I watch DVDs or listen to CDs/MP3s.

What I'm also looking for is something that I can turn up loud, something that won't break if i'm buzzed and fumbling with the controls.

I'll admit, I am a victim of nodding my head to some pretty stupid songs while wasted (you know you all have a little of that in you too), so yes sound quality doesn't matter while drunk. But please take into consideration that I do listen to my music loud while sober.

Can I also get some feedback on keeping those older speakers and just getting a new receiver and sub, as opposed to say or scrapping everything for a kit? From what I've heard speakers haven't really changed much. Do you feel that I shouldn't bother with those speakers, (KLHs, Yamaha, and Polks)?

Thank you again,

-DFA

Bronze Member
Username: Nealm

Post Number: 30
you should check the prices at your local liquor store before buying speakers. after those bottles of jack for you and the malibu for the ladies your budget might get cut in half ;)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1078
Seriously, though, go to your local audio shops and check out what they have for the budget that you have set. Pick and choose that which you like.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 26
Hmmmmm;

you might consider keeping your present speakers and getting yourself a new receiver. Since you are in a dorm room I might hesitate to get a sub.

There are a lot of receivers in your price range that are good, would have DD and DTS. Maybe something like the Onkyo 502 (about 259.00) or Onkyo 601 (about 359.00) , an HK230 (400.00) or one of the Yamaha's, perhaps the HTR - 5750 (about 350.00) come to mind.

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 394
I would recommend this new panasonic receiver SA-XR45 and a sony sub (sawm200). Both can be gotten for $400 on the web. If you like the speakers, this would be the way to go. If not, then may be this option -

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_htib&item=k1pk 669zz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us