How much would you offer?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5556
I was looking at these speakers: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=16291739&cat=494&lpid=0&search=

Everything is average priced though I was looking at grabbing the towers since I was hoping for a really good deal with the damage. They sounded really nice but apparently they do vibrate at certain frequencies. He wants $300. What would you offer? I'm even betting most of you wouldn't even want speakers that are that damaged haha. I'm just gauging what I'll offer.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16448
Jexx

Look good for me!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14555
The bookshelf/standmount speakers (the 601's) look to be in decent shape (depends on the mess they made of attaching the mounting brackets) and so I'd offer $200 or less. The 603's are very damaged and I wouldn't give him anything for them. Frankly you could do better for the dough with a lot of other speakers...I'd pass on all of them.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16452
Jexx buy the lot then replace the broken transducers taken from the center speaker!

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1619
Jexx, I agree with Art. Pass on theses, unless you can get the whole lot for $200 or less AND you can repair them cheaply, easily and without having to waste too much time chasing down parts. I restored a pair of speakers once. I got them for free, the cabinets needed minimal cosmetic touch ups and the crossovers needed new caps. There was a parts dealer near me who was able to find exact matches for the caps and I upgraded the internal speaker wire. All told, I spent less than $50 and maybe 2 weeks on them. Then, I tested them out with an old receiver I had lying around. They sounded good. Then, my wife told me about a co-worker of hers who was looking to get a used receiver and speakers as cheaply as he could. So I gave him this gear. He was happy. He wanted to pay me the $ I spent on the speakers, but I refused. He was a newly wed with a baby. He needed all the $ he could get. In case anyone is wondering how I did it under $50, they were cheap speakers. I don't remeber the make or model, but they were 4 way floor standers with passive radiators.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5558
Really appreciate the advice guys. Makes me somewhat sad that this forum isn't more active as I love reading posts here.

And yeah, I've decided to pass on these. I called the guy for kicks and it turns out he's very unpleasant to deal with despite how nice I tried to be about everything. He struck me as somewhat of a cheapskate as well since he wouldn't even take off more than $40 for any single set of speakers, and not more than $100 for the whole set!! I had even offered $200 just for the towers just to see what would happen and he resolutely said "NO!" haha. He thinks he really has something and his sense of entitlement is not going to help things...guarantee he won't be selling this crap anytime soon.

And that's a neat story, James. I appreciate it when people are willing to look at the circumstances of someone else and not just think about the money like this guy was. I've done a lot of car audio installs for free for friends since I had some extra equipment laying around and they didn't have a lot of money to get some nice equipment in their car. My search continues...

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1621
Thanks Jexx, money isn't everything. If I thought it was, I'd probably have a high end system now, but be miserable for having stepped on people. It's nice that you help out your friends too.

That guy with the speakers sounds like a greedy a**hole. Just as well you don't do business with him. He'll probably have those speakers till grass starts growing on them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us