What's the difference: Dynaudio and dynaudio acoustics?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5536
As stated in the title, what is the difference? Is one better than the other?

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/
and
http://www.dynaudio.com/relaunch1/index.php

Or are they the same?

Need advice on this ASAP!

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1351
Nothing like an emergency brand clarification.

From your link "To professionally support Dynaudio Acoustics in the professional market, Dynaudio partnered with the highly regarded company TC Electronic. ". Dynaudio Acoustics seems to be the "professional" (as opposed to consumer I suppose) product line.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1352
And "better" is in the ear of the beholder. I expect each line to have a purpose, so just because one is "professional" and one isn't, it doesn't mean better necessarily.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1272
In my experience, the "professional" usually has a more laid back, uninvolving sound while the non-professional is more likely to be much more involved, intriguing and more willing in her, err its, presentation.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5537
Haha appreciate it, guys! I've heard of dynaudio before but was struggling to find the difference.

Is this stuff any good, though?

I've heard varying opinions on dynaudio for the home. In the car audio world, it's great stuff. Not sure how it translates to home stuff.

I did happen to find a dynaudio BX30 studio subwoofer for a remarkably good price. I was wondering how the sound would be when paired with my B&W bookshelf speakers. I'm going to audition it tonight but wanted some feedback first. Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1082
Don't have a lot of experience with their products myself, but Dynaudio is probably one of the more highly regarded speaker makers out there. Just do some Google searches if you want to verify.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4453
Dynaudio doesn't make junk. They make a very respectable speaker for the money in a lot of price ranges. They also make drivers for a lot of hifi speaker companies.

Liking the way they sound or not is a personal thing. Anyone who says they're junk isn't very knowledgable in this hobby IMO. There are some models I really like, and there are some that I think there's better options for equal money. I can say that for pretty much any good manufacturer though.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14534
Dynaudio is a very respected manufacturer as Stu and others have stated. If I found a pair for the right price I'd have them just for giggles as that is one brand I've never owned.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5538
Hmm. I'm inclined to think that Dynaudio is junk. Now at least.

I bought a BX30 studio subwoofer that isn't even ten years old. I got it for a great price since the driver was rattling.

After taking it apart, I found that the spider of the woofer itself had ripped apart, leaving a ring around the cone where the glue and remaining spider was. How in the world can the spider get torn on a speaker?? I've never seen this before.

The cone of the driver is incredibly flimsy and flexible (likely light for better short bass transients) but on the flipside is a very weak-feeling driver. The foam padding on the inside of the box is already deteriorating as well. The wooden flange on the inside of the bass port had also become detached since the glue was very weak. Speaking of glue, it felt like other parts of the speaker could be pulled apart since the glue was so malleable.

This subwoofer cost $2k+ when it was brand new. VERY unimpressed. Will never touch dynaudio again.

The plate amp is excellent, though, with a great toroidal transformer and it sounds great when hooked up to a different subwoofer of mine. But the driver, the very thing that dynaudio is most known for, is garbage.

The drivers just aren't made to last. I was looking on ebay and noticed there aren't really any older dynaudio speakers, and those that were there were about the same age and already needed new surrounds, like this one, even though it's new and has never been used: http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNAUDIO-30-W54-30-W-54-06-12-woofer-N-O-S-box-/170659900259 ?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27bc1f6b63

The price is boosted considerably since their equipment goes through all kinds of quality control and is all made in house in Denmark. As the CEO of the company itself has said: 80% of the price is labor, 20% the actual product.

The driver cannot be repaired. Dynaudio's policy is not to sell recone kits as it "compromises the quality of the driver." And they want me to buy a brand new driver. Yeah, I'm going to spend $200 on a new driver that is going to fail in another ten years? No thanks. What's more, my Kenwood floorstanding speakers from the 70's are still playing amazingly despite much abuse and no recone. Why is a fantastically expensive subwoofer from a "premier" audio company failing so quickly, let alone with their own amplifier? Boggles my mind. The plate amp even has protection circuitry to limit the amount of power going to the sub, and all my tests show the plate amp is functioning normally.

Maybe Dynaudio was having a bad production day when this subwoofer was made. Not sure. With the rigorous quality control standards, I would doubt that's the case. At least the plate amp is fantastic. I might just grab a replacement driver from Parts Express or something.

If someone wants a potentially amazing deal on Dynaudio speakers, check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynaudio-DM-2-6-bookshelf-speakers-DM-26-/120743802980?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c1ce43864

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5539
^. Is it just me or was that an amazing price?!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1086
You can generally get 50% off a used item. Given that one of the speakers has a fairly significant chip on the finish, I'd say the price is fair. But there are sometimes exceptions to this 50% rule...one would have to check what the DM 2/6 normally sells for on the used market to know for sure.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5540
It's funny that I found those right after I rip on Dynaudio.

Those particular speakers sell for $800 new and haven't even been on the market for a year. It was a one day auction so I'm sure the buyer lost some money due to lack of exposure to potential buyers. Ah well.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1087
It probably was a little on the cheap side, but I think you'll find that you can generally save big coin buying used. Like I said, around half of MSRP. Though this depends on the item, as some things hold their value better than others.

And with that little bit of damage, some folks (like me) wouldn't even consider buying it. He may have gotten $450 if it was in perfect shape.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5541
Great point, Dan. And the half-price concept generally seems to hold true for higher end equipment. Of course there are exceptions, and I think B&W seem to hold their value very well, for example (to the point that finding a decently-priced pair of B&W floorstanding speakers is difficult!).

I totally understand you'd want to have pricey equipment like that in pristine condition. Though I'm also glad because others feel the same and I don't mind a few nicks, subsequently can get a slightly cheaper price.

Thanks for you input, Dan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us