Don't Try This At Home - Balls Up or Otherwise

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1269
Hey guys,

Just checking in. I've been doing lots of listening and not much writing. I've had buddies over to listen to the new set-up and they liked it much. I've halved raquet balls and I'm trying that over Jenga blocks and so far it sounds better. I've got well over 300 hours on this system now so everything is broken in.

But yesterday, something new occurred. I have a friend/client who has had very high end audio throughout his life. (He can well aford it.) I had to meet with him on an emergency issue for work but he also said he wanted to hear my new system.

We get work done and go to my listening room. He asks the usual questions - how many watts, who made the stuff, etc. Then, he asks how much power the speakers can handle. I told him that they were pretty stout. We put on some Beatles, then DSOM, Al Meola and finally the demo CD that Jim Salk ships with his speakers. With each successful track, my friend kept adding more volume until he had the amp pegged, sending well over 500 wpc into the speakers. It was LOUD!! Also, it started the lights in the room to flickering quite a lot. LOL

But, the amazing thing was that these dang speakers just got louder and louder. No problems with the speakers clipping, the amp short circuiting or any change in the quality of sound. I don't think I'll ever play them that loud again but it was interesting to find out that you could and everything survived. If the woofers weren't fully broken in before, they are now - cuz I've never seen them work quite that hard. Dave

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16354

Dak, can I borrow your car? I've never driven over 115 mph before.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1349
I would've taken the volume control away from him at about 2pm on the dial. You took a leap of faith I would not have Dak.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1270
Jan,

I had my M3 at 145 mph in Montana back in the day but I don't think you would want to take my Subaru Forester to 115 mph. You would likely die.

Chris, not so much a leap for faith as a "if you break these, you will pay for them" and he can well afford it. Like I said, "don't try this at home."

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16355

"You would likely die."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1271
LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums