Onkyo 601 and paradigm

Byron
Unregistered guest
I'd like peoples thoughts on the Onkyo 601 and how it would mate with a Paradigm set-up. Monitor 7 fronts, cc370, Atom rears and PW12 sub. Any receiver you would also recommend for this speaker set-up? 60/40 music/movies. 12x22 room.

Thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 495
Byron,
I don't think the Onkyo 601 is worthy of being paired with such a good Paradigm system as you described. BTW the Atom's will work just fine as rears with the 7's even though they come from different lines. This will shock some regulars here who know my history but I would say the Yamaha 1400 would be a better choice for a receiver. It can be had for under $600 at a few sites as you see at the right of your screen in this section. Also consider the NAD 743 if it has enough inputs for your system. The Onkyo 601 is not a bad receiver for a budget model but not the best match with Paradigm IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 367
I heard the 601 can be had for ~$300 so it's a lot cheaper than the 1400 for ex. It's a nice unit, nothing special but not bad either. The lack of pre-outs is a bit annoying. I dont know how it works with Paradigm though.

Byron
Unregistered guest
therealelitefan
Thanks for your input. I did not demo the 1400 but I did hear the 740, but with Klipsh speakers, not Paradigm. I thought the pairing was a little to sharp on the ears. Would the 740 sound improve with my Paradigm setup and how does it compare/differ from the 1400.
Thanks, Byron

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
The 740 is an old model wich has a quite brigth and thin sound. The 1400 is also a bit on the cold side, but it's a lot better than any of smaller models like 740 or new 750. If you cant afford the 1400 it would be better to stay with the Onkyo or get something better like a NAD or Marantz.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 497
Landrovel,
I agree with you about the 740 and any Yamaha under the 1400. If a person can afford the Paradigm package Byron mentioned then surely it's worth it to spend at least $600 or so on a good receiver. I like NAD as I mentioned above but Marantz with Paradigm is a non starter IMO as the Marantz is just to mellow for Paradigm. Even though on balance I would take a Marantz over a Yamaha 90 percent of the time this happens to be a time that the Yamaha is a better match. I don't think the Onkyo's are really worth a look until you get to the 701 but they are not a very good match with Paradigm either. It's still a bit hard for me to say this but in this case the 1400 and the NAD 743 are the best options.

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
Better to trust elitefan, I'm no expert on Paradigms.

Byron
Unregistered guest
therealelitefan
thanks. I have the speakers already as I have been gradually buying that over the last 18months. Now time for the receiver. The reason I ask about the Onkyo is a friend just purchased it paired with Boston mini surround speakers and at least during a movie it sounded not bad. I just wasn't sure how it would sound with Paradigms as opposed to his Bostons. I am going to go listen to the 1400 and the NAD dealer this weekend. Unfortunately I do not have a Marantz dealer nearby. Would it then be worth listening to the 701? My price range was to stay under $1000 Can/$7-750 US.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us