Harman Kardon Dolby Digital Signal Drop Out

Dennis25
Unregistered guest
I have an HK AVR-225 and a DVD player connected to one of the digital optical inputs. Every so often, while watching a DVD in Dolby Digital, the soundtrack is silent for a few seconds between scenes. This usually occurs at the very beginning of the movie or at the layer break on a dual-layered DVD. The HK is the first receiver to give me problems with this. Anyone else experience this problem? Any feedback on what this might be or how to fix it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1060
Check your optical cable and make sure it is clean or it is not damaged. This happened to me before, one end of the cable, the fiber was actually chipped at an angle and the other end was perfectly flat. I changed it and never had a problem again. Also check if the connection at the back of the receiver and player are also clean, they may have a dust cover but dirt can be introduced via the optical cable itself.
Or you can try using the digital coaxial output.

Olsen
Unregistered guest
Although a little off topic, I'd like to share this:

I also encounter a digital signal drop out whether I am playing a CD or DVD (on DD or DTS) on my HK DVD 22. My receiver has this auto detect mode that you do not have to switch to surround mode when playing DVDs. On DVDs, everytime I skip a chapter, you will not hear the first few seconds of the next chapter. And on CDs, when it is connected to my receiver digitally, the first few seconds of the track are lost when you skip through tracks. No electronic brand is really perfect. You claim that you have good audio quality, but still you have bugs whatsoever.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 801
i have heard several people with different brands
of recievers having that same issue on cd's.

and like some have said it's the reciever tryig to
determine what digital signal you are sending it.

i have seen simular things on mine.

but as stated only at the start / never during a movie.

and obviuosly when using analog inputs "sacd/dvd-a and analog cd out"
their is no loss at the begining.

it's only on a digital source at the very begining
while the unit is trying to determine what you are
sending it.

Olsen
Unregistered guest
DEFINITELY WRONG kegger.

There is no drop out on the beginning of the signal when I compared to my other device like:

- Pioneer DV 233 (DVD Player)
- A Generic DVD Player (Skyworth Brand)
- PS2

I have compared my HK DVD 22 with these other three players, connect them on my receiver using digital connection (Optical), the same I used with the DVD 22, same software (DVDs and CDs), and I found out that it is only from the DVD 22 where there is drop out on the begining of the tracks on CD playback (while skipping forward to to other tracks) and on the beginning of chapters on DVD (also while skipping forward to other chapters).

I have to convince myself on the results of my test so I used the same optical cable and software (CDs and DVDs) and all of them I connect to one INPUT of my receiver one at a time.

I have heard it so many times that the drop out is the receiver's fault. Well, if you just listen to others, you will be misinformed. Go experiment yourself and use other brand of equipment.

There are cases wherein its the receiver fault but I have already proven before that my receiver has no drop out.

eavesdropper
Unregistered guest
I don't know if you can mention other forums here but on another forum, this topic has been discussed ad naseaum. The HK thread over there that deals with dropouts is several pages long.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 812
Olsen i'm not sure what i'm "DEFINITELY WRONG" about.

all i did was inform dennis that other people are
experiencing this on other recievers besides hk.

and you just said it was the dvd player in your case.

so i don't see where im wrong! saying it's not just
an hk reciever thing.

and if you use the analog inputs this won't happen!

my yamaha reciever did it with my pioneer dvd player
but my hk reciever does not with the same dvd player.

so for me it was my yamaha reciever with my pioneer
dvd player.

all i did was repeat what others have said and
share my experience.to give dennis some idea that
he is not alone and others have experienced the
same thing.

it seems some dvd players and some recievers have
this issue when combined.

eavesdropper
Unregistered guest
definitely more than just HK. I think several models among Marantz, HK, Rotel, NAD and one or two others, are experiencing similar problems, perhaps all pertaining to the use of the same processing chip that relates to these issues.

and yes, in the case of all, it pertains only to the digital connections.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us