Audio / HT show coming

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2351
I've never been to an audio show. Lo and behold, one coming to a town just up the coast:
Is anyone else going to be there?

http://www.theshownewport.com/2011n/mainpage.php

I may post a photo or 2 if I get anything good.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2367
I had a remarkable day at the show and only managed about 3/4 of it. I never got to the Magnepan room, though I got my fix of Panels with the ML folks, with Mac electronics and the Sanders panels with Magtech amps.
Both sounded super, with the edge going to the Sanders, in part, perhaps, a setup issue.
My least favorite speaker in the 'big bucks' category? The GIGANTIC Focal. This 3 story monster with a jack screw arrangement around back to vary the relative tilt of the upper drivers. Maybe they'd be better off in a MUCH larger room. Just a guess, but I'd start at about 6000 cubic feet. 20x30 with a 10 foot ceiling.

Audio Engine? The A5 is a wonder. And inexpensive. Anyone with a child heading for college could do a lot worse.
Also in the small / budget category? RSL is back! Joe Rogers came out of retirement, apparently, and has a beautiful little 2-way slot loaded stand mount. This baby really sings and was designed with a sub in mind.

I saw an heard a bewildering array of gear. Some which pops to mind are the Vandersteen speakers. Nice. And a surprise in the form of Voxitiv. These are single driver / full range with terrific well controlled bass and good extension. The wood portion is done by Schimmel, the Piano makers! Fit / Finish befitting a concert grand.

VonSchweikert? present. Primaluna? you bet. I listened to the ESS speakers and spent a few minutes (not over good) in the VMPS room......something wrong there......

The REAL surprise? Lots and lots of R2R. Some playing master tapes which was phenom. Can I still get Scotch 207?

I spent some time down in the sales floor. I listened to kilo buck Grado headphones and looked over the WBT line.

And, I know it is just a visual preference thing, but I sure could not get used to the Burmeister Chrome look.

I'll know better, next time and be able to spend my time better. Quite a crowd and each room better than the last.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4778
Cool. I'd love to hear some R2R music on a good system. There's a big show coming up this fall in September I believe.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2375
R2R is addictive. But, beware. Just like all other media, not all tapes are created equal.
One demo I heard had some Master tapes, the holy grail of recording. This was good.
Another demo had a home made tape which sounded clipped to me on the loudest passages.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3515
Show? September? Is it in Montreal again? We all going?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4779
I think the one in Montreal was this past spring. The one in T.O. is called TAVES. I think George is gonna be working the show for Canada Hi-Fi magazine. I can't go since I'll be going to Florida right about then.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1209
Yes the Fall show in Toronto is called TAVES. The Toronto Audio and Video Entertainment Show. Here's the link to the site with the details / dates (Sept. 30 to Oct. 2). It's at the prestigous King Edward Hotel in downtown T.O. and will be taking 2 to 3 full floors in the hotel. I will definitely be there and hope to see some if not many of you there - Dave - it's a shame you can't make it but Florida should be great!

http://www.taveshow.com/

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2402
How many people attend the typical (to the extent their IS typical) audio show?
The Orange County show ran out of tags early sunday after using all 5000 they ordered......
So I'm guessing at just over 6000 people saw the event. And at least 85% were male with almost NO solo women.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us