Choosing a vintage receiver

Username: Shimster

Post Number: 1
Hello: I am trying to decide between several receivers - all in mint condition. I've had an old Luxman for years and it finally kicked the bucket. The price is less of an issue than warm sound and power (and, sadly, looks). Could you help me decide between the following? Sansui QRX 8001; Sansui QRX 9001; McIntosh 1700 hybrid; Pioneer SX980; Pioneer SX1250; Marantz 2270? Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated. Thanks...The Shimster

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Do the Mac. I'm a big fan of their products and think it is always difficult to do better than McIntosh. I've owned their products (2 MC240 tube amps and a MR67 tube tuner) for over twenty years and all have been VERY reliable with excellent sound and when I need help McIntosh is still helpful and their are parts and service available for all their equipment you are likely to own.
The two Pioneer models are from the 70's and weren't even close to the quality of the Mac. I can't believe a 1250 is still running. There are no parts available for these units. There are no schematics for these units so no one will touch them if they need repair.
The Marantz 2270 was a reciever built to undersell the competition and basically cleaned out the Superscope parts bins to make several generations of this reciever. Same story as the Pioneer, except schematics for a 2270 didn't usually match what was inside the actual reciever back in 1976.
The Sansui's, though they had better sound than the other Japanese recievers on the list, are Quadraphonic recievers. There are NO parts or schematics for those and Sansui is not interested in being helpful.
Get the Mac and you will have another reciever that will last you three decades.

Unregistered guest
hello sir! i recently aquired an old pioneer sx410 vacuum powered receiver. can you shed any light here as ive scanned the web and found zip! it all seems to work ok. are they collectable!? value???
thanks much
douglas

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Value is mostly as a curiousity since few tubed Pioneers made it out of Japan. I saw a site recently that might be of interest to you, let me search and get back to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us