Kenwood vr605

Username: Tomb

El tambo, Caar Ecuador

Post Number: 1
Can anyone help me? I have a kenwood vr605 and it has problems with sound. When Iturn it on it works until it warms up and if I change the function it goes mute until its shut off and has time to cool down-usually a few hours. A number of techs have tried to find the problem, usually changing components but that never works.Ive been told that the problem is in the programing and that its not a defective screen. Anyone know codes for reprograming or run accross this problem before?

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1352
Is it still under warranty? If so, Kenwood needs to replace it for you.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1314
It could be a bad circuit board... or a number of other things. If you can, take it back under warranty as has been suggested. If it is no longer under warranty, even if a tech identifies the faulty component, it may not be worth fixing as the price of the fix may be close to the value of the unit. Unfortunately many big box store receivers aren't made for the long haul.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16169

This is now a nine year old receiver model?

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/kenwood-vr-605/1707-6466_7-20605251.html

The "6" series would have made this a fairly inexpensive receiver.

There's obviously no warranty on this unit since I know of no one selling a ten year extended warranty on HT receivers.

So, who has been paying for the repairs you've had done? I assume you have. I'm rather surprised any shop would have taken this thing in considering its age. If the problems have extended out over the entire nine year lifespan of this unit, then we have different problems to talk about. As it stands, I'm going to assume you simply have a nine year old HT receiver that has developed problems.

"A number of techs have tried to find the problem, usually changing components but that never works.Ive been told that the problem is in the programing and that its not a defective screen. Anyone know codes for reprograming or run accross this problem before?"

Any qualified Kenwood tech would know the reset codes for this receiver. Even a non-authorized tech could have called Kenwood, explained the situation and Kenwood would have provided the codes for a reset. Therefore, I can only assume any competent technician would have already tried a reset. If you don't know whether this has been done, then you should ask the shop(s) that have taken in the unit whether they have tried to repair the problem by attempting a reset. If they haven't, they should do so now.

Someone here seems to be throwing money down the toilet. Whether it's you or the shops that have had this in for service is not known but there are only two possible solutions to this situation.

1) You need to realize most HT receivers are not going to last more than a few years and move on to another product. Putting more money into this receiver is a loosing proposition. Unfortunately, that is a fact of life when it comes to HT receivers.

2) Any manufacturer will have a master service center located somewhere where you can ship the unit to a more qualified tech. With a nine year old receiver, you will be picking up the shipping costs - both ways. After a product has been through more than two local, authorized service centers, the owner should request the defective product be sent to the master repair center for evaluation. The best techs the company has available will then assess the situation and make their recommendation for repair or scrap.

The problem you will have with this receiver is; first, whether or not you took the unit to an "authorized" Kenwood repair facility and, 2) whether Kenwood gives a crap about a nine year old unit. Only you can answer the former. As to the latter, I can tell you that answer right now, no, they do not.

You have a low end receiver that is now nine years old. That is ancient technology to any HT receiver manufacturer. They are not required to stock parts for a unit this old nor are they required to even have repair manuals available for a unit this old. I would be willing to lay odds the answer you would get from Kenwood would amount to, "Move on, we have new product to sell you." That is how HT receiver manufacturers stay in business, by selling new merchandise rather than repairing old stuff. Your chances of getting this receiver repaired are slightly lower than those for the Antartic becoming a tropical tourist haven in the next ten years.

(Climate change is real and all bets are off after ten years. )

Dump the receiver and chalk this up to a learning experience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1353
In other words tomb, replacing the receiver is in order. Obviously, the guy with not only the gift of gab, but also the gift of time on his hands to look up model numbers, post links there to, etc has stated this conclusion profusely. If it's at all financially feasible, you may want to consider a high end solution as in separates. Of course, a large budget (at least $50,000) and taking time to make sure you get what you are looking for will be required. If going high end is not in your immediate future, you may want to look into some of Denon's HT receivers. They are very popular among home theater enthusiasts who can't afford high end. Of course, you'll want to compare them to Poneer, Onkyo, etc. You should see if you can find an independent dealer who carries these brands with knowledgeable salespersons rather than going to best buy. Also, going on a week day if at all possible is a good idea. This way, the salesperson will be able to take the time to demonstrate and explain the ups & downs of each model.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1316
FWIW, it's worth considering moving a little up the food chain if you have the extra scratch.....brands like NAD, Marantz, HK, etc get you a fair amount more in sound and build quality for not a lot more money than what you would pay for Kenwood, Sony, etc. Worth considering if you're replacing the receiver.....depending on your goals.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16177

"Obviously, the guy with not only the gift of gab, but also the gift of time on his hands to look up model numbers, post links there to, etc has stated this conclusion profusely"

Look, james, don't start anything, OK? Why post that crap? You had nothing to offer and, if you really, truly think checking out when a product was manufactured or how much it cost is all that time consuming, then you really shouldn't be posting BS like, "Is it still under warranty? If so, Kenwood needs to replace it for you." You could have and you should have found that information in order to assist the op. That's what I did. So don't complain about me knowing how to do something you obviously have no idea how to accomplish.

Had the receiver been in warranty, no manufacturer "should" automatically replace the unit. Your advice sucked!

It takes about twenty seconds to find the age of most consumer models. Try it, you might actually succeed at something.

Your post did nothing to assist the op. I gave specifics and the op can proceed from there. With your advice, he had nothing. With your advice, he didn't even learn about authorized/inauthorized repair centers let alone factory service sites. So take your p*ssy little child attitude and shove it where the sun don't shine, little boy.

As to the profusion of words I use, they are clear and concise. They inform and therefore do not require you to repeat the same advice with your stupid, childish insults included.

james, I know full well this is you off your meds again - it's the full moon and here comes james - and this will result in a torrent of BS from you. There's no stopping you at this point. But you started this once again. There was no need for what you just posted. Do not start all over again blaming others for what you have precipitated. I didn't "attack" you in any way, I assisted the op without a single mention of anything you said or anything about you. If your little boy's ego is so d*mn fragile that the mere mention of the receiver not being in warranty sets you off, then you are seriously - seriously! - in need of professional assistance with your mental problems.

Just don't f*ck up the entire forum again with your BS. Don't follow me around this forum posting your crap! Take your cancer somewhere other than here.

That's not asking that much, is it? Just asking you not to do something isn't that difficult, is it? You seem to be very good at not doing a lot of things. Unfortunately, not being a horse's @ss has been one of those things you can't seem to accomplish judging by my past experience with your mental delusions.

Grow up and behave or get off the forum forever. Your BS is not needed here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1356
Jan, it would have been just as easy to let the op answer the question. He knows how old his receiver is. I do now how to post links, It's just that I don't usually see the need. Especially in this case. Again he could have answered that question.

Here you are again jan. YOU questioning MY maturity! You no room to question my maturity whatsoever. My sons in their 20s are more mature than you by far and a way. I'll have you know that I do not have any condition that requires meds.

Who messes up forums? How about the guy who has to sensor most of what he says to me? How about the guy who got banned from stereophile? What was his name?... Oh yeah! It was jan vigne! You accused on guy of "wagging his d!ck around" after he proved you wrong about something. Childish thing to say jan. Then you accused another guy of having "no moral compass". To be fair, you're right about that guy. He doesn't have a moral compass. I read what he said too. However, you do not have a moral compass either. If you did, you would not spewed out all of that vulgar, sess ridden filth on that op. After all of that, you tell him that the sess pool is all his and that you have no intention of joinning him in it. You not only created that sess pool, you were and still are much deeper into that sess pool than he will ever be. Btw, none of those ops you argued with were banned. Just you. Think about that!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16183

You have no idea what you're talking about.

You have no idea what you're talking about with Stereophile unless you've read the entire length of the six years I was on that forum (which I know is impossible with the totally inadequate archiving Stereophile does) and the 50 page+ long battles amongst multiple forum members who were there to discuss aduio but who were forced to deal with the enormous incivility that raged without a word from the far, far less than competent "moderation" of that forum.

Stereophile boasts about their 12,000 forum members. There are, in reality, about a dozen or fewer members active at any one time (and several of them seem incapable of actually discussing audio and a few don't even appear to be on the forum for that reason, they are there because they can get away with their crap and not be banned for some reason), the rest quickly grow weary of an audio forum that cannot and does not discuss audio. Most new posters ask a question and then quickly leave. Ethan Winer can be found on multiple forums and anyone can do a simple search to see his brand of attack against anyone who simply disagress with him regarding audio. I disagreed with him. He, like you, follows people from forum to forum to conduct his hatred. He, like you, pries into his "enemies" private life and broadcasts it on other public forums. More than one Stereophile member has been known to invade another member's private life and bring up things they think they know in an attempt to embarrass their foe. There is a distinct odor about the Stereophile forums that has grown much more offensive over the last few years. And now you want to bring it over here just because crap sticks to you! Buddha has a decade long fued with May Belt and anyone who agrees with her about perception. His words to her were as offensive as anything I've seen on the stalls in a public restroom. About perception! This too extends out over several forums as these people aren't happy just attacking one person on one forum. Buddha has been known to have more than a few drinks every weekend and most nights and lay into those people who are his "enemies". Big*try and hatred pervade the Sterophile forum. The moderators do nothing but look the other way. When one offensive member posted his "Little Black Kid Joke", nothing happened and the post and the poster remained on the forum. He too had "problems" with anyone who did nothing more than disagree with him. When complaints were lodged against offending members like Winer, the moderator, under the guidance of John Atkinson, said nothing - literally nothing. They wouldn't even mention the member's name in responses. Or they told the victim of Winer's abuse not to provoke him further. When Winer was competely over the top, JA admitted to allowing him to stay on the forum - depsite the fact many of us could easily point to his constant violations of the very few rules of civility ("don't be an @sshole") which Stereophile had posted - because JA had enjoyed his cello playing at CES. That and they had had supper together. No other reason. Those of us who Winer was after were more than astounded to see how Stereophile forums actually operated. More than a few members left shortly after that admission. When the post, "Jan's wife has a d*ck", was entered in a discussion of audio, the moderators said they felt the member (who for the last six years had posted the same sort of crap, h*mophobic slurs and racial big*try and worse against members who had not even addressed him) was "funny".

"Funny".

Unless you know the moderator of the Stereophile forum personally attacked me three times in one weekend against my protestations that I was not willing to participate in what was happening, then you should just shut your fat, f*cking, stupid, loud mouth. Unless you know all six years of history and the mechanics of how Stereophile runs their forum, you just need to shut your yap! Unless you know the real reason anyone gets banned from Stereophile forums, you just need to shut up. Because, if you rock the boat over there and complain about how the forum operates and how it allows all that I've described and more to not only continue but to actually flourish with their complicit approval, you will eventually be banned. I'm not the only member who spoke the truth and then paid the price.

Most importantly, there's no need for you to drag it over here. Just to prove you don't have a clue about anything you post? Do you really follow me around to other forums?

That's sick!

Don't tell me you do not have mental problems when it is clearly evident you cannot behave as a normal person would. I don't give a crap what you do on other forums, fella, just what you do here. I suggest you do the same, it's good for your mental health.

"Jan, it would have been just as easy to let the op answer the question. He knows how old his receiver is"

That is just stupid. You rationalize all of your stupid, insulting behavior away, don't you? No one is at fault but the other guy. That is a serious mental flaw!

Don't start this again, james. You're wasting your time and only proving you are not in control of your emotions. You are a child and this is where this needs to cease! You began this for no good reason whatsoever. To sit on another forum and look for things to use here is sick. You are sick, james. Get help.

Just think about that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1357
No Jan, the child, mental case, etc is YOU! You got kicked out of stereophile because you deserved! You conducted yourself like a child there just as you do here. The difference is that the admin here put up with you. The folks on stereophile say that you have been banned from numerous audio forums. I was not following you to forums. I stumbled upon stereophile's announcement about you. If I were so interested in your online antics (QUIT FLATTERING YOURSELF!), I would have a list of audio forums that you've been kicked out of and rightfully so!

By responding to members of this and other forums like you do proves only that YOU have no control over your emotions. You decide how you respond to people Jan. No one can do that for you. How did this conflict start? YOU talking about how the op's receiver is 9 yrs old and therefore not under warranty in a manner decidedly geared toward insulting me followed by your ever present, ever childish tongue sticking out. That's the act of a 5 yr old jan, not that of a grown man. How did our first conflict start? YOU asking my age and experience. Did you greet middle aged, overweight female customers by saying, "Excuse me ma'am, but may I ask your age and weight?"? But when members of forums ask you what kind of system you have, you refuse to answer. What is so personal about that? Audio equipment doesn't have any private parts jan. If I am not embarrassed to talk about my receiver based system, you should not be embarrassed by your undoubtedly high end system.

I am not currently a member of stereophile or any other forum, but I have considered joining one that has banned you. In the 6 months since they dumped you, there has been nothing but peace in stereophile. It's true that there are not many active members. Such numbers don't impress me anyway. The members that are active there don't fight. They do actually discuss audio! Members who have discussed your well deserved dishonorable discharge from sp and other audio forums all agree that it is YOU who instigates fights, acts childish and messes up audio forums. There is an old saying Jan that goes "If one person says you have a tail, don't worry about it. If 2 people say you have a tail, you might want to check it out. If 3 or 4 people say you have a tail, you probably have a tail" 3 or 400 people say that you have a tail jan. Guess what? You have a tail!

You once stated that you're certain that you're my senior. I hope not! I hope you're at least 20 - 30 yrs my Jr. That would make your conduct somewhat understandable.

I don't hate you jan, nor do I wish anything bad on you. I do wish you'd grow up though! All of your knowledge would be actually helpful if you did. You really should be mature than a toddler by now, but you're not.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1358
Oh btw jan, there was no rationalizing. The op could have just answered the question. Posting that link was the stupid thing to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1359
"I don't give a crap what you do in other forums, fella,..."

Of course you don't! You are not allowed in any other forums! How could you care? Seriously Jan, you accuse me of making stupid statements? That's the stupidest statement I have ever seen. That's like saying a mountain lion doesn't care whether you prefer Mozart or Bach. He'll never know!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16184

Look, james, the problem here, on this forum is that you insulted me. Here, on this forum. You did that.

I hadn't addessed you in anyway. I hadn't referred to you in anyway. I hadn't even mentioned anything which would have included you in the most oblique fashion. And yet you decided to insult me. Here, on this forum.

Why? As far as I can tell because I posted a factual statement informing the op of his options and providing my advice. I included a link to the receiver which I believe is the op's unit in order to verify we were discussing the same receiver. That also seemed to p*ss you off. Here, on this forum. Where you insulted me without provocation.

I'm very tired of your childish behavior, james. For awhile you didn't post and I was hoping you had gone somewhere other than here to fight with someone other than me.

This forum was peaceful while you were not here, james. This forum was peaceful when you were not starting a fight with me over my posting a link!

Now you're back and we've been on what? two threads together and already you have decided to start a fight with me. There's something wrong with that.

Your problem with me needs to cease. It's your problem and you are making it a problem of this forum. This forum, james, not any other forum, this forum. And it needs to stop and stop now.

If you're p*ssed because you have no knowledge and I do, then learn something. If you're p*ssed because I provide a link in my post, grow the he11 up and act as if you were a normally functioning adult. Adults do not get p*ssed because another person posts a link! If you have no idea why you're p*ssed at me, the last bit of advice still stands - grow up!

Unless the op has more questions, I'm done with this thread. Do not follow me around this forum being your usual self, james. This fight is over now! This forum doesn't need your crap. You started this for no good reason other than it's what you do. End this now!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1360
Oh, the comment about how the op's receiver is 9 yrs old and obviously not under warranty wasn't intended to insult me? RIGHT!

This what stereophile has to say:

Submitted By: smejas

Jan Vigne banned
Posted November 15, 2010

We have banned Jan Vigne from the forum.

I have tried, John Atkinson has tried and members of the forum have tried to assist Jan Vigne in becoming a Valuable, productive, sociable member of our community, but Jan simply could not function within the group.

Jan's contributions turned regularly to Hostility. Jan's contributions worked to derail threads so that His behavior and personality became the focus of discussion. Ultimately, we felt Jan's behavior dissuaded others from participating and prevented new members from joining.

It's always unpleasant to have to ban a member of our forum, but we feel this is the right decision and we hope it helps to make the forum a better place.

"...and we hope it helps to make the forum a better place."

It certainly does!

On one hand you're right Jan. What has happened here in this forum has been about just that. On the other hand, you have demonstrated both here and elsewhere that YOU have some serious growing up to do. This is the only forum where you get along with anyone at all. Apparently, most people here place such high value on your knowledge that they'll put up with anything from you at all. Not I! Thankfully, admin in other forums won't put up with your childish stupid crap either. It's true that the whole 6 yr archive isn't still there, but enough is there to see your model of consistent childish non-sense.

I wasn't around for a while because I was busy with things that mature, responsible people do. As in things you'll never have to worry about. What happened while I was away? Daisybee turned on you. Why? I couldn't imagine! It seemed like you were giving him good advice, no arguments, etc. Then it occurred to me that he probably looked at archives and saw your true colors.

"I was hoping that you had gone somewhere other than here to fight with someone other than me."

Really? Like who? There is no one else on any forum as interested in fighting as you are. Other forums are peaceful without you Jan. That is just the cold, hard fact that you cannot get away from.

The bottomline Jan, you are a childish, insecure little cyber bully and you can't handle it when anyone disagrees with you about anything at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1367
One more question Jan. If what went on in stereophile offended you so much, why did you stay for 6 yrs? First off, I don't believe for one second that you are so easily offended. You have an extremely vulgar mouth yourself. You have no moral compass Jan and have no business talking about the moral inclinations of others. Not to mention, why did other forums dump your worthless, childish butt? Undoubtedly because of YOUR conduct! Don't play the blame game Jan. Man up and take responsibility for your own actions and take your lumps!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16153
Can I participate to the party?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1372
Have at it Plymouth!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1374
I like that bit about including the link to verify that we are talking about the same unit. ROTFLMAO!!!!! and you accuse me of rationalizing? C'mon Jan! Who are you trying to kid? You did that to make yourself look smart and tech savvy. You only succeeded in exposing yourself for the arrogant b*stard you are!

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Atlantic City Baltim..., , NJ/MD

Post Number: 1189

Don't you guys have better sh*t to do than argue over pointless bs?

Go take a sh*t , it would be more constructive!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1473
Pimp, no offense, but didn't you notice this thread has been dead for almost a month?

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Atlantic City Baltim..., , NJ/MD

Post Number: 1191
Yep
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us