Tune Up

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2306
I'm note wealthy enough to have enough space for BOTH a HomeTheater setup and a dedicated 2ch system. So, the TV sits between the speakers.
I know full well how big a compromise this is.

Recently my Sony SXRD of 60" died. Sony built in a defect and had at least 3 class action lawsuits as a result. I'm guessing this set was AT LEAST 6 cubic feet. Almost 5 feet wide, and over 20" deep with a slanted top cabinet and a height of about 30 inches.

The replacement set is a thin set. A couple inch thick plasma. Total volume of perhaps just over 1 cubic foot.

This made the most startling improvement in the sound since I installed the works. Better center image. Wider image, too. Instrument placement is now more exact. I may just be imagining better dynamics. I'm going to experiment with pushing the set all the way back when listening only to music. Maybe I'll build something to make the sliding easier?
This is enough of a change that I don't think the blanket trick would have made this much difference.

I know a lot of people are 'stuck' with multi-use systems like I am. But I gotta tell 'ya, the TV in the middle is not helping. Maybe if I were to do a wall mount? But for those old school types with rear projection or perhaps a real CRT set, it's really not helping the sound.
Thanks to all for reminding me several times of the compromise i was making. I fixed it as soon as I got a chance.

Anybody want to buy a 60" SXRD Sony? Needs a light engine.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1313
I'm glad you've been able to improve the situation Leo. The big flat screen between the speakers does indeed cause issues, but as you say, it's tough to avoid for a lot of people. Having the speakers well in front of the TV, and as you say, perhaps throwing a blanket on it during listening sessions helps a bit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us