Bass and Treble settings

Bronze Member
Username: Mad320

Upstate NY, NY USA

Post Number: 13

I know the answer probably will be user preference, but how do bass and treble controls change the music? I've read that setting everything on zero or flat is the true way to listen to music or the way it was meant to be listened to. I've read that some of the more expensive receivers don't even have bass and treble controls. I would like to hear some more OPINIONS and I know there out there. Thanks Mike

w

Bronze Member
Username: Nealm

Post Number: 27
here's my take on it:
adjusting the bass accentuates the lower frequencies and adjusting the treble accentuates the higher frequencies. some people may want to do this, depending on the other equipment they are running. in general, however, if you are running decent speakers on a nice warm receiver and listening to source that has been recorded with decent fidelity you should have no need to adjust the bass or treble because you will be listening to the frequencies in the way that they were intended to be listened to. the only time i will consider adjusting my bass or treble is if my source lacks enough/has too much bass/treble, etc. all in all, id agree that it is a personal preference. since our ears arent perfect either its no surprise that something that sounds good to one of us may sound different to another.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Bass and treble (and sometimes midrange) tone controls are a problem in that there are no proper settings for their use or designs for their construction. You must first look in the spec sheet for your pre amp section to see where the controls take effect. The point given there is called the hinge point and action takes affect from that point downward on a bass control, upward on a treble and is centered at that frequaency on a midrange control. The most effective controls are those that change a small area only. On a bass control look for a spec at 200 Hz or lower. A control that affects 500 Hz will be too broad to really be helpful.
Better equipment usually doesn't have tone controls because the extra circuits are deemed to create problems in getting the signal from point A to point B with as litle intervention as possible.
The real solution is a good parametric equalizer but there aren't many and the ones that are really good (no added noise or distortion) are incredibly expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us