Phono Preamp?

Username: Jamalsampson

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 1
Hey there,

For a few years now I've had a Stanton STR8-30 turntable just sitting around unused. I've finally saved up some cash and am going to be putting together a whole proper audio system around this turntable.

Everything I am reading says I need speakers (obviously) but also a turntable audio receiver. I was just curious if this audio receiver is definitely something I need or if a Phono Preamp (such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MICROPHONO-PP400-Ultra-Compact-Preamp/dp/B0028QCYS0) would work and then I can plug speakers in to that.

I would love to save a few bucks on this if I could so that I could invest in a better set of speakers.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16144

You've linked to a phono "pre amp" and nothing but a phono pre amp. It is meant to perform the task of adding gain and equalization to the output of a magnetic phono cartridge. It cannot drive loudspeakers by itself but rather needs both another pre amp and a power amplifier downstream of its output. A pre amp and a power amplifier are included in a receiver (along with a tuner). If you don't need the tuner, you could buy an integrated amplifier instead and still have the pre amp and power amplifier in one chassis. The receiver/integrated does not require an input labelled "phono" as you can plug the output of the phono pre amp into any line level input. Line level inputs would be, say, Aux, CD, VCR, Tape in, etc.

You need both the phono pre amp and a receiver/integrated to drive some speakers. If you can find a receiver/integrated with a built in phono section, then you can eliminate the phono pre amp since you would be doubling up on circuitry and actually causing more problems.

If you're very tight on cash, this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-958 might get you by for now. It only has one input so you woud be limited for now to just the phono input taken from the phono pre amp to which you've linked. Also, the requirements of using this with a table and running the amp into some speakers will require serious matching. Call Parts Express and discuss this possibility with them.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us