Can someone help me with a simple 2 way design?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 567
Just wanna try a small 1 to 2 day project and build my own enclosure for some speakers I have laying around. For mids I have morel mw 164s and for tweeters I have morel mdt 29s. Don't really know part numbers of all the other stuff I have but I know the crossovers I have are crossed at 2k and I think work well with the speakers.
Anyways just want to create a nice bookshelf system for music.
I want to build sealed enclosures.
ill use 3/4 mdf. Just want to keep it nice and simple.
Not sure where to start like dimensions and should I use a shared chamber?
Any help is appreciated
I don't expect audiophile sound and I won't get it from cheap speakers but I know they are decent enough to sound good

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2286
Does Morel or whoever you bought the drivers from have an recommendations?
That's where I'd start.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1305
Spec sheet for the woofer http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/mw164.pdf

Spec sheet for the tweeter http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/mdt%2029.pdf

You'll need these to calculate the appropriate enclosure volume. Many sites out there to help with that....like, http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

DIY forums would have loads of suggestions, but there aren't many here who do a lot of that. Those a nice drivers to start with though.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16110

You'll need to do some homework before you start putting drivers into enclosures. First, the driver's Qts determines which type of enclosure the driver will prefer. If you want to build a sealed box system, you'll need to have a driver that is well suited to a sealed enclosure. The "Q" of the driver will also determine what the group of characteristic sounds the low frequencies will develop in whichever style of box you decide upon; critically damped, overly damped or lumpy and loose. If you want a particular sound, you need to start with a driver that is capable of producing that sound or else you will spend time chasing your tail before you finally give up. All of the parameters required for these decisions are found in the "T/S Parameters" of the driver. If you don't know what the parameters are or how to find them, you need some education before you begin building a speaker system. Or you need some one to hold your hand while you go about building the system - that's not what we can do over a forum.

Next, just because you have a crossover you should consider that all crossovers - even all second order crossovers - are not created equal. The various types of filters available determine, with each type of crossover construction, many of the sonic characteristics of the final product. You should have some idea which characteristic you are shooting for before you start combining drivers with crossovers. On a very basic level, a second order crossover will have a -12dB roll out. This means it will take the better part of two octaves to reduce the levels of each driver by approx. -10dB. The Morel driver states a frequency response which extends only to 2800Hz. The Morel data is insufficient to actually use as a basis for designing a speaker system but, taking that raw data into account with your second order filter, the driver does not appear to have sufficient extension to be a good match for most second order 2kHz crossovers.

You should also understand the basics of cabinet design before you decide to build a speaker system. The shape of the enclosure and the placement of drivers on the baffle will, in most instances, determine much of the sonic character of the final product.

If you simply place something like "DIY loudspeakers" into a search engine, you'll find a starting point for your education. You might contact Morel and ask if they have any plans for their driver as it is typically the bass driver that determines the enclosure. Don't think building a speaker is simple. People spend years trying different techniques and finding which methods of construction are favorable to what they want to hear. Just sticking drivers in a box may sound easy but with that sort of hit or miss philosophy you'll seldom come up with a speaker that is half as good as what you could buy from the average retailer. It will make sound but it probably won't make really good music.

I would suggest you give Parts Express a call and ask for some technical assistance before you begin building. Their techs can guide you along a path of least resistance.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us