HK or Okyno?

Username: Dreamv

Post Number: 1
I had the HK7000 receiver which recently died through lightning damage. Harmon Kardon have confirmed to me that the replacement to buy which would most closely match the specs on the original HK would be the HK 7300. My insurance company however is attempting to convince me that the Okyno TX SR701 is a suitable replacement in their opinion. Please can someone confirm to me whether this is actually true, or if, as in my opinion, the Okyno, although a good receiver, is not quite what I had.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 727
well i don't know if this is any help.

but to me the onkyo is no h/k
it may be a nice reciever.

the new hk is 7.1 versus 6.1 onkyo. (old was 5.1)
the power is rated the same but hk rates low.
it's about 50 pounds h/k and 25 onkyo.
the hk is high current design at 75 amps.

no wonder they want you to take the onkyo.
the price on the onkyo is $500-$700

to me their is no compairison between the hk7300
and the onkyoTX SR701 !

i would try an convince them to replace with h/k.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Kegger. That was just the assurance that I needed. I was sure that they were trying to pull one on me.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 728
karen i am curious as i have a yamaha reciever
that went out during a lightning storm.

are they going to buy a new one and send it too
you?

can they give you a check to buy a new one?

did they offer or try to fix the old one?

did they want to see the old one?

did you need a recieght?

did they prorate it's price?

what will happen to the old one?
did you have to turn it in?
could you keep it?

how did you go about getting them to replace it?
was it difficult?

anything you can tell me to be aware of.

i extremely appreciate your response to this.
and yes i realize these are a lot of questions.
but you would be giving me some very important info.

thanks in advance!

Post Number: 3
It all depends on your insurance company, but basically this is what happens. They will try to fix it first because that way they save cash. If it is deemed uneconomical to repair, they have to replace it with a new one or pay you out the cash value. They will probably prorate the price to take into account wear and tear, but here's where you have to be forceful. Don't always accept the first offer. Obviously they are out to get the best deal for themselves, as in my case here, and the uninformed lose out. If they do replace or pay out, the old one becomes theirs and they will keep it & auction it off to recoup loss. As to how easy it all is, depends on your level of coverage and who you're insured with, if it was a specified item or if it falls under your all-risks section. A bit of advice, make sure you know your policy inside out before you put in a claim as you'll have one shot at it and these boys are always trying to find ways to get out of paying. Hope this helps.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 731
thank you very much karen!

Username: Giga

Post Number: 4
Some insurance companies have arrangements with some retailers... look through your insurance contract.. I doubt they can insist that you take the model they offer. Stick to your guns and demand what you are entitled to.. inspect your contract...

Unregistered guest
Karen, et all......c'mon.......there just has to be SOMEBODY in your neck of the woods that sells SURGE PROTECTORS! Invest in them for ANY piece of electronics you care about. Oh yeah.......buy the H.K.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 740
the strange thing is i had a supposed really good
one on mine at the time.

now i use a different one.

and their only going to stop so much anyway's.

a nice lightning strike can put way to much into
one of those things to stop it all!

Anonymous

panamax are the best surge protectors-period--much better than monster etc.Brickwalls may be just as good but much more expensive.BTW don't use a computer surge protector with audio equipment as they introduce noise onto the line(I've proven this myself).

Unregistered guest
I had a modified Philips CD player that was hit by lightening three times in one day and refused to die. Last strike it took, the cd door ejected, and it shut off. Wouldn't play for a month. Then it worked fine. Guess it was God punishing me for subjecting my cd player to such torture. Back then, at least the case was metal. I'm sure that helped. Karen, move to Hawaii....where electrical storms are as rare as tourists that can pronounce our state fish, the legendary humuhumunukunukuapuah.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us