AKAI AM-67 with Canton Karat S 8 DC speakers

Joe
hi I need some info on an AKAI AM-67 amp:

what is it's power output. i read somewhere it's 2*110 W on 8 OHM?? is this correct?
unfortunately i have lost the manual, and am now investigating whether the above amp is compatible with Canton Karat S 8 DC speakers (sinus of 140W on 4 OHM).

got different statements in different shops; ranging from: trash the old AKAI and get a marantz PM17 (yeah right mr. rockefeller...) to The AKAI AM range (67, 73, 93) was about the best that was produced at that time, so keep it and enjoy with the Karat speakers????

i am left confused and would appreciate an expert opinion on the subject.

also i am wondering whether to invest in new CD player; current model is Grundig Fine Arts CD3, am happy with it, however it has got its flaws (due to age).
any CD players that u can recommend to use in the above configuration (Akai AM 67 + Canton Karat S 8 DC)??

tx

joe

Joe
anybody out there?

do really need some help in this matter.

tx

Berny
I had an akai am-67 amp and it was a very sturdy unit. I believe it was only 80 watts continous and peaking at 110...but then again that was a long time ago. That sucker drove any type of speakers I hooked up without a hiccup...even 4 ohm cheapo Dai-Ichi speakers...what can I do, I was young and never really cared as long as the music was loud. With that being said, it should drive your Canton Karat easily.

As far as CD players go...do you have a budget? Any concerns about DACs and such??
cheers

joe
tx berny for helpful comments.
have hooked up akai and canton karat for 2 weeks now, and no problems at all. so i think i'll go with it until i got some more dosh to spend on amp upgrade.

re. cd player: am not really on a budget; though planning to invest a max. of EUR 500,-- (approx. USD 550,--). i looked into cd-changers (mega: 200+ CDs), as i like the idea behind it; nevertheless i have been told, they are by far not as good as single CD-players.
any advice of yours v. welcome.

tah
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us