Add digital output to a non-digital-out CD player

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 139
Hi....
A few Magnavox CD players using the Philips chip set can be modified. Look for a SAA7220 IC. If it has one, then it can be modified. If you have knowledge modifying electronic tools, follow this method:
Take pin 14 of the SAA7220 IC and remove whatever terminating resistor is on it. Connect it through a 560 ohm resistor to the input of a wide band pulse transformer. Tie the other end of the primary of the transformer to ground. Pulse Engineering PE65612, Schott Corp 6712540, and Scientific Conversions SC916-01 all will work. Bypass the primary through a 620 ohm resistor. Connect the output of the transformer to an RCA jack. Do not ground either side of the RCA jack. This output is now S/PDIF compatible.

Thanks for the tip to Positive Feedback

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2211
If I could find a laser for my ANCIENT FD-1000 14 bit player, would this mod apply?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16024

How about my Atari 400?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4706
Sounds like a lot of work.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2212
For the dedicated....and I mean certifiable DIY guy with an eligible player, NO amount of time would be too long or effort too much to give something like this a try.
Right now, hock shops and DAV stores across the country are being scoured for Magnevox / Phillips CD players.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16028

For my Atari ... nothing is too good.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2008
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?