Yamaha R V1105 won't turn on

Username: Breckrider

Memphis, TN USA

Post Number: 9
For a while it would randomly turn off but I could just turn it back on. now, it only clicks when I hit the power button on the remote. It won't come on.

I've unplugged everything from the back one at a time to see if that would make it come on but it doesn't. That includes the speakers.

Any clue? It's a pretty good receiver but old. I've had it almost 10 years. I'm sure there are things out there better but hate to spend the money if this one can be repaired.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4670
10 years? It owes you nothing. Let it die peacefully and buy a new receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16047
Virginia Leonard

1)Unhook the speaker then see if that turn on.
2)Check if the fan on the heat sink is clean and rotate.
3)If it does not work, replace the IC power amplifier.

Usualy the fan stop or the dust block the heat sink then the amplifier over-heat which cause the defect of the power amp IC's.

Bronze Member

Memphis, TN USA

Post Number: 11
Oh David, that just hurts me. Seriously, I just hate to put it in the landfill. Although, many of you are right. It's old technology. I probably should upgrade but it's been a good receiver for a long time.

Plymouth...I tried that. I unhooked each speaker one at a time until all of them were unhooked. I haven't checked the fan. I can do that next.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15981

Several big box stores do recycling of electronic devices. To my knowledge Best Buy will take back one item per day whether they sold the product or not. Check the Yellow Pages or the internet for other recycling centers in your area. Larger cities are beginning to organize recycling events one or more weekends per year. Call your local city services to check their schedule. Unfortunately, most second hand thrift shops have stopped taking in electronics that are no functional and they would more than likely just place the receiver in the junk pile to send to the landfill.

If at all possibe, do not send the reciever to the landfill, it contains numerous heavy metals that can leach into the water supply.

Bronze Member

Memphis, TN USA

Post Number: 12
Yeah, we have a recycling day twice a year. If it comes to that, I'll take it in then.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14146
Use Freecycle or CL. Plenty of folks who would love to try to repair it. I would definitely see if you can give it to someone to try and repair it and use it. Recycle, reuse.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4688
Here in Ottawa, the city waste collectors won't take e-waste, but I've found that putting my broken electronics (sadly, a lot of them) will disappear by the end of the day if I put them out on the curbside on collection day. Somebody is taken them and maybe putting them good use.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us