Table Radio vs Micro System advice

Username: Zx6rfool

Virginia

Post Number: 1
Im sure this topic is not new, and Ive been reading through some of the older threads for info. However almost every year the options expand, or are replaced with better quality units.

While Im building my home theater upstairs the temporary kitchen radio I have has been, well saddening to listen to.

Looking at All in Ones vs Micro Systems for the kitchen, must have a CD player.
kitchen opens to a dining and sitting room all in all its about 15'x30',
As an aside, Im partly leaning towards an all in one, as my garage is accessed through the kitchen, and in the warmer months we will BBQ in the driveway and an all in one would be very easy to grab from the kitchen and set up in the garage.
Open to advice and suggestions, Im considering some of the following, and wanted to get impressions;

All in Ones
Cambridge Soundworks i765
Cambridge SoundWorks i765 All-in-One Music System | Cambridge Soundworks

Teac SR-L280i
Teac SR-L280i Hi-Fi Table CD Radio SR-L280I B&H Photo Video

Sangean WR-3
Amazon.com: Sangean WR-3 AM/FM Digital Table Top Radio: Electronics

Yamaha MCR-040
Amazon.com: Yamaha MCR-040OR Micro Component System (Orange): Electronics

Micro Systems:

Onkyo CS-445
Amazon.com: Onkyo CS-445 CD Receiver System: Electronics

Denon DM38
Amazon.com: Denon DM38S Micro AM/FM, CD System Featuring USB Input and iPod/iPhone Connectivity: Electronics

(or similar previous year model for less would be more realistic DM33/37)

Sony CMTBX20i
Amazon.com: Sony CMTBX20i Micro Hi-Fi Shelf System (Black): Electronics

JVC EX-A10 (If I can find one)
JVC EX-A10 Review - Audio Shelf Systems - CNET Reviews

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15876

The only advice I would have at this point - given the number of units under consideration - is to lean towards a product that has been built with longevity in mind. Too many of the mass market lines such as Teac, Sony, JVC and Onkyo are intending their units to be disposable after a few years. Pretty much anything is I guess if you don't care to invest in a product but companies which are more in the business of selling the product you want and not much else are IMO more likely to provide a well built unit that can be serviced if repairs are required. A good friend had been working as a service tech since the '60's and finally got to the point he could retire. He did so as he felt he was spending too much time on junk that wasn't meant to be taken apart let alone put back together.

I'd add Boston Acoustics to your selections and Tivoli too. NAD has a basic mini receiver/CD to which you would add your own speakers; http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC715

Username: Zx6rfool

Virginia

Post Number: 2
Boston, and Tivoli are nice, but Boston does not offer an option that will play CDs, and Tivoli is a bit out of the price range if I want to add a CD option. The NAD is nice, but with the addition of speakers is way out of the price range Id like to stick to.

Thanks though, I appreciate the options
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us