Display problem,connecting speakers to Tv

Bronze Member
Username: Katmai

Post Number: 30
Display problem with a/v receiver,dvd recorder,Tv connection

I want to connect speakers to Tv.In the past I just connected audio out of satellite receiver's or Tv's to dvd-in of my a/v receiver's.The problem was,I think it influenced my previous dvd recorder in a bad way.After connecting it,some strange sounds started to come from my dvd recorder.I sometimes connected in this way to Tv,and sometimes removed all cables and connected my a/v receiver to my Pc,and there is no problem with Pc.But unfortunately,my previous dvd recorded started not to record onto any dvd.I am almost %100 sure that my a/v receiver connection caused this.

But why does this connection influence my dvd recorder in a bad way and not my Pc?I am told that I should connect in this way:dvd recorder's video out>a/v receiver's dvd-rw video in
dvd recorder optical out >a/v receiver's optical in
a/v receiver's dvd-rw audio and video out>dvd recorder in
Satellite receiver audio & video out > a/v receiver sat audio and video in
a/v receiver's monitor out>TV's video in

I used standard rca cables and a scart cable(one of the tips is scart and other tip is three RCA cable)

Is using video outputs-inputs a must?Why not just using audio inputs-outputs?

I tried this connection.But there was a problem.No problem with the satellite receiver,but when I select dvrw/vcr mode from a/v receiver,the dvd recorder's menu on Tv becomes an abnormal picture,menu's shapes become abnormal shapes.And when I try
to record a Tv programme,it records very badly.sometimes blank display sometimes moving display sometimes very bad,out of order pictures.

When I switch to Tv/sat mode from a/v receiver,no problem with the Tv programme(not recorded of course),the display is very good.But when I switch back to dvrw/vcr mode,problems begin again.

I noticed that,if I don't use "a/v receiver dvdrw/vcr video output > dvr-vcr video in" no problem happens with the dvd recorder's menu,the menu display is nice.But of course it is not able to record Tv programme's.

I tried almost every setting with dvd recorder's options under it's menu options about video but they didn't work...

I don't think that the problem is about "a/v receiver dvdrw/vcr vide output > dvr-vcr video in"'s cable,because I tried the same cable with Satellite Receiver(with a different connection) instead of dvd recorder and there was no problem with the display.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15865

Boy, do we hate to see posts like yours show up here. For example, under your post was an ad for an AV receiver showing its backpanel. There isn't enough room on that unit to squeeze in one more connector. I suppose the next big thing in AV technology will be a switch over to another cable type with a new connector that replaces all of the existing cables in your system with one monolith. This should drive AV receiver sales for the next few years as everyone rushes to have the new connector and doesn't concern themself with how it all works together.

The reason we hate posts like yours is there are no one way to do this answers to any set up in an AV system. With the choice of two or three connection options for almost any input/output how you want the system set up is generally what drives how you make your hook ups rather than what is right and wrong. That's not to say there are no right and wrongs, just that there are often several options that work is you set the system up to recognize the proper in/out configuration.

With each new connection decision you'll have to get into the set up menu of at least the receiver and probably also the source component to re-arrange the switching to allow the proper in/out configuration to make the connection work well. If you miss a set up switch, you're screwed. Without being in front of the system and without knowing whether or not you might have missed a switch in your set up menu, it's near impossible to tell you how to make the corrections required to get the results you desire.

At this point the best advice I can give is to basically begin over from the start. Get into the set up menu and return all of the audio and video switches to their default position. Then add one component at a time and check for proper operation. If you're satsified the set up is correct, then you can proceed to the next component. In's always go to out's and out's always go to in's. However, most AV receivers cannot process, say, an optical audio input and have it output as an analog out to be sent to another device. The same works in the reverse, analog ins cannot be sent out as optical.

Take heart in the fact no one component "influences" another. Either you've made the proper connections and you've done a proper set up or you haven't.

"... unfortunately,my previous dvd recorded started not to record onto any dvd.I am almost %100 sure that my a/v receiver connection caused this."

Probably not. Why the unit malfunctioned I can't tell you but improper connections of the ins and outs isn't likely to cause any failure in a recorder. Either the connections work and they always work or they dont work at all. There's no "sometimes" involved in the connections, there are only "sometimes" in how well you program the recorder. About the only thing that would change that is a power outage which would alter the reciever's set up menu. You would have noticed such a severe power disruption.

I suggest you sit down before you begin to make your connections and sketch out how you propose to make your system work. Consult your manual to make certain it can process the signal flow you desire through the various connection types you choose. Then do as I suggested above, make one connection at a time as you monitor the results of your connections and set up switching. That's the best I can do over the forum.

Where'd you buy the system and how long ago was it purchased. Most retailers are willing to provide some after the sale advice and even some in house set up work to a previous client. There might be a slight charge for the house call but, if all else fails in your efforts, it might be worth a few dollars to get this problem resolved.

Bronze Member
Username: Katmai

Post Number: 31
Thanks for your answer.Seems like I hadn't tested the video out cable well,though I was thinking that I tested and it worked with another connection.But yesterday I tested that cable again(or maybe my first test,I think I had tested that cable with satellite receiver video out->a/v receiver Tv/sat in and it had worked but maybe I remember wrong) with satellite receiver video out->dvd recorder video in and saw the same problem which I had with dvd recorder video out->a/v receiver Dvr/Vcr in.

But I am really afraid to connect dvd recorder to a/v receiver because I am not sure if it influences the dvd recorder or not.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us