Focal/JM Labs

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 584
Just wanted to get your opinions on Focal/JM Labs products. I recently heard this brand for the first time (Focal 836v) and was very impressed. Yes, the bass response was lacking but the clarity was great. I rarely see this brand come up on the threads and was curious as to why.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13903
Great company that builds a quality product.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4644
Always liked the look of those speakers. Never heard them, though unfortunately.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4344
Focal makes some very good stuff. Great sounding, very well made, and most stuff is priced very competitively. I've often contemplated the 706v. Very cool looking and sounding speaker for not a ton of cash. Then I come back to the realization that my Yaras are a far better speaker, as they should be for 3 times the price.

There's a lot of great stuff we rarely discuss. I don't think very many, if any of us own or talk about Aerial, ProAc, McCormack and Audio Research. Great companies that a lot of us could probably afford their bottom end stuff new and/or their middle of the pack stuff used.

Some stuff just kind of doesn't get discussed. No idea why.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13905
I owned ProAc's and discussed them...a bit. Can you say listener fatigue.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4345
You're the only one here I know of who's owned ProAcs. I'm pretty sure you had them connected to your Primaluna integrated. I remember you couldn't get it to sound right. Was it the speakers, integrated, or both?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4651
Interesting point about Primaluna. I was in at a local dealer awhile back and the manager was telling me that they were auditioning some tube amp lines to start carrying, and Primaluna was one of them. He was not impressed with them - described them as harsh and abrasive. I've never heard them, so I can't comment.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 941
As far as I know, PrimaLuna is rebadged Cayin. As far as Chinese gear goes it seems to have a decent reputation.

Username: Gonzaga_92

BC Canada

Post Number: 4
I have the matching subwoofer, to the system(SW-800v)Compliments my P.A main speakers very well. Only 11" driver I have ever seen before, but good idea, the speed of a ten, thump of a 12.

Used mostly for bass heavy music, works very well. no muddy or boomyness whatsoever, even at 120hz, but I have it set at 70hz. Very deep and clean bass.

I have the Focal set in the left rear corner of the room with my Mission positioned up at the right front, in between my mains.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13906
I think it was more the amp than speakers, Stu. However as you probably know over at Pink Fish ProAcs are often described as being bright. I've listened to ProAc's on many occasions and would say that careful system matching very critical, and not just for good sound but to make them listenable. I have enjoyed them a couple of times. I think it was a combo of that poor sounding Prima Luna Prologue 2 and ProAc's bottom of the line speaker that just didn't work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us