Need help with buying a system

Username: Xfritox

Post Number: 1
hey everybody i recently came into some disposable income and have decided to buy a stereo system but i need help with the reciever and amp. ive decided to get 2 cerwin vega VE-15F's for the speakers as for the receiver i was looking at the Onkyo TX-8555 and for the amp i was looking at the Cerwin Vega Pro Cv-900.
what cables would i need to make this work or is there something better that you can suggest to me? i have a budget of 1200 dollars and the speakers are $600 for the pair. im mostly going to use this stereo to listen to my music and for my xbox 360. im willing to expand my budget a little if it means a much better system.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2033
You would appear to be buying one thing too many.
The receiver will supply power to the speakers and provide switching and even FM. The Vega Pro? Another amp.
You either need to junk out the Onkyo and buy a 'pre amp' for the Vega or forget the additional amp altogether.
The Onkyo has plenty of power for CVs. Unless you like it REAL loud or are in a pretty large space.
What are you using for a source? Not MP-3s from an Ipod, I hope?

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1276
You want a receiver and an amp? Just to clarify, you are aware that a receiver is a tuner, preamp and power amp in one unit right? My suggestion is if you can afford it (depending on how much you are willing to expand your budget), get either good seperate preamp and power amp or an integrated amp (preamp and power amp in one unit) and a tuner if desired. If not, get the best receiver you can afford. Rather than just settle on Cerwin Vega, listen to different speakers to see what you like. You'll want to get the amp and speaker combo that sounds best to you that is within your budget. You'll also want to take into consideration that some speakers are easier to drive than others. More on this later.

Post Number: 2
i want the amp and the receiver to get the most out of my speakers that i can. as for inputs im going to hook it up to my cable box computer and my xbox. as for the speakers i really like the looks also i hear they are good for metal and bassy songs unless you guys have any other suggestions around 300~400 dollar range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1277
Still, either a receiver, integrated amp OR seperate preamp & power amp rather than a receiver and power amp would make more sense. If you are only planning to use the receiver's preamp, why not go with seperates? Otherwise you are paying for the power amp in the receiver and not using it. See what I mean? Ultimately, it's your money and your decission, but I discourage wasting money.

You might also want to consider book shelf speakers and a subwoofer. Book shelf speakers tend to sound better than floor speakers due the reduction in refractions created by the cabinet and resonant frequencies within. I don't listen to metal anymore, but I've let my son play his Metallica cds on my system with book shelves and it sounds fine. Yes CVs are popular among metal fans and with good reason. Something to think about. The Mirage Omni OS3s are $250 each and the Mirage S8 sub at $369 work well with every type of music I've played through them. Jazz, classical, rock, even a little country. I power them with a Denon DRA-397 stereo receiver. I would encourage you give this a listen. You might like this or you might not. It doesn't hurt to give it a listen. It's like buying a car. If your best friend likes the Pontiac G6. Does that mean you should go out and buy one without a test drive? HECK NO! The same is true with audio gear. Hearing good things about CVs or any other speaker is no guarentee that you will like it. The amp used to power it will play a part too. Although a particular amp might power a pair of speakers with ease is no guarentee that you will like how it sounds. Part 1 is hearing it in the store, part 2 is hearing it in your home. Many stores will allow you to return gear within 30 days if you don't like it. Of course trying the speakers in different spots around a room, at different distances from walls and from each other is also important. You need not lock onto equipment you've not heard yet and determine that is what you want.

The best advice I can give you is to shop around, listen to different combinations and see what sounds good to you. Take your time. You want to be satisfied with your system right? As Leo pointed out, the Onkyo will power CVs nicely unless you like it really loud. However, you might find this combo doesn't sound good to you. Most CV fans I know like Harmon Kardon receivers or integrateds with them.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2037
Ross, you need to consider what you are doing.
An amp AND a receiver?
A receiver HAS an amp. And a preamp. And a tuner...(that's radio for those who live in Peoria.)
Buying a receiver is enough to power the CV speakers. and than some.

Take the money you were going to spend on the amp and receiver, and buy a better receiver. Perhaps an Outlaw RR2150. Nice, good quality and will 'last'. It'll also play loud enough to offend the neighbors.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
It has both USB (tunes from the computer) and an Ipod connection. You can easily add a turntable later while the sub out will allow you to offend EVERYONE with huge bass from the sub I know you're going to want, later. CV speakers are pretty good at turning watts into sound, so the 100 or 120 or whatever, will go a pretty long way. Too much money new? Some pre-owned show up as users get upgrade fever. This receiver will see you thru a couple sets of speakers, 'cause I know the first are gonna' be blown up sooner or later!

Please ask some more questions::

Post Number: 3
ok i decided to ditch the reciever and amp and am now looking into more high end receivers. while looking i came across the Harman Kardon HK 3490 what do you think about this one? also what do you suggest for other receiver options under $500?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4611
Ross, are you going to be using this to listen to the radio at all? If not, ditch the receiver idea and get an integrated 2 channel amp. Something like a NAD, Rotel or .... wait for it.....

Cambridge Audio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1279
David's right. To get truly high end under $500, you'll have to buy used and receivers are not generally considered high end. However, you can usually get used high end gear in good shape in this price range. If you go with an integrated, you can always add a tuner later if so desired. Remember, take your time, shop around, be patient. This will serve you better than impulse buying. It took me a little over a year to decide on a receiver and speaker combo. I ended up with what is IMO, the best combo within my price range.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15773

"ok i decided to ditch the reciever and amp and am now looking into more high end receivers. while looking i came across the Harman Kardon HK 3490 what do you think about this one? also what do you suggest for other receiver options under $500?"

How are you making these decisions? By shopping and listening or by looking on the internet for something that "looks good"? If you're doing the former, you should be able to make better decisions than should you be doing the latter. Having the opportunity to use and listen to audio components is always an advantage no matter what level you're at in your shopping skills. That doesn't mean buying something from Best Buy is better than buying something from a retailer who knows their product just because you can see the amplifier sitting on a shelf at the Big Box store connected through a switch box to two dozen different speakers against the wall. You need to be talking to a good retailer in the business (who has been in the business for years and who has every intention of staying in the business) of audio sales and not the guy putting in time at the mass market box pusher just until he can afford a car stereo at employee discount.

"... as for the speakers i really like the looks also i hear they are good for metal and bassy songs ... "

No offense meant but you sound like you're fairly new to buying better quality audio components. I'd advise against choosing speakers based on their looks, you have to like their looks but looking at speakers isn't what you do to actually use the speakers. Besides, there are quite a few speakers with the generic "look" of the 15's. I assume you've not heard these speakers. So, how are you getting your information about whether they sound good with the music you like? You like your music loud and bassy, right? CV's will do that but how you place them in your room will determine quite a bit about the bass response you get. How big is the room and do you have any specific restrictions on where the speakers and equipment can be placed? Just plopping the gear down will probably result in a lot of wasted money vs getting the best from the equipment.

Where do you intend to buy the system? Over the internet? Have you picked a retailer or are you just intending to buy from whomever has the cheapest price?

What all the questions amount to is asking how you intend to put together the system and whether you're able to hear the equipment beforehand or possibly get some good advice from a shop that will be able to guide you toward what might best suit your needs and desires. We really can't do that here. As you can see there are quite a few different opinions about what you should buy and they often amount to not much more than what the person posting likes and dislikes.

The CV's play loud and they tend towards heavy bass so, if that's your wish, go for the CV's. For an amplifier, I'd recommend one that has local service. In other words, while there are good amplifiers to choose from that might not be available for sale in your area, they probably also don't have service centers in your area either. Banging out heavy metal at high volumes can be tough on an amplifier and, if you need service, you want it to be as efficient as possible. You give no indication where you're located so I can only say either buy the amplifier locally where you can get service should problems arise - a good, local, independent audio retailer - or buy on line from a reputable dealer. Do not go eBay! Do not base your decision just on who has the cheapest price, there's a reason they have the cheapest price and it is seldom to your long term benefit. If you happen to find a local dealer who sells the same product, ask for their pricing but don't play them off against an online dealer who has a very different structure for making profits. Profit is how a dealer stays in business and you want that dealer to be in business when you either have questions about your system or you need service or another component. So pay the local retailer a fair profit and figure you've done your part toward having good audio in your area.

Here's a couple shops I'd suggest you call for information if you have no local audio reatiler of any quality;

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=100

http://www.harmanaudio.com/?utm_source=HK&utm_medium=w2b&utm_campaign=HA

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

These are not fly by night retailers operating out of their garage. They don't push what they need to get rid of and they don't take your money and then order the gear from the distributor so their service is fast, honest and efficient. Nor are they likely to steer you in the wrong direction or abandon you if the amplifier does crap out - things break whether it's your fault, the fault of the manufacturer or no one's fault, stuff just breaks sometimes. These retailers tend more toward appealing to the person looking for better quality sound rather than just the cheapest deal so they can advise you on which amplifier is best suited to your needs. The Outlaw product leo mentioned is also a very good receiver if you want the addition of a radio and it's still a good product even if you don't care about radio. The point being, buy a reputable product from a reputable dealer if this is your first, second or third venture into higher quality audio. Between Audio Advisor, Spearit Sound, HK and Outlaw, you should be able to find a receiver/amplifier that will suit your purpose and get good, reliable advice also. Make a few calls and you should end up with a decent system.

Cables are pretty simple and all of the above mentioned retailers should be able to help you there. You're really just looking for good quality construction in a cable running between two components, anything more than a $40-50 cable would be overkill and you can probably find what you need for less depending on the length you require. Buy basic speaker cables, nothing fancy. Some entry level Monster or AudioQuest will suit your needs. It doesn't need to be fat or thick or orange or blue, just good. The receiver/amplifier will most likely take banana plugs so for the sake of a good connection have the speaker cables terminated with bananas and then you have a pretty much plug and play system.

Does that help?

Post Number: 4
ok thanks for all the help i looked on google maps and fount out there are a bunch of home audio stores near me so instead of looking online ill go check out these stores.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
Let us know what you end with Ross. Okay?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1301
"You have to like the looks..."

I have to disagree there Jan. While I prefer to like how my speakers look and I do, if they were ugly and still sound like they do, I'd still have bought them rather than beautiful looking speakers with hideous sound. Unless of course the speakers are nausiating like a pair of floor speakers that look like 2 big old piles of cow p00p. I wouldn't buy those no matter how good they sound. Just saying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us