Marantz: CD-67 SE II, CD-63 KI, CD-6002, CD-6003 >> Repair, Upgrade or Replace?

Username: Nottstu

NottinghamUK

Post Number: 1
Here is my dilemma, I'd welcome any opinion/ advice or suggestions.

I have a Marantz CD-67 Special Edition II which has met my needs perfectly well until recently when it's become temperamental about which discs it will play and which not. I only ever give it 'proper' plain vanilla shop bought factory made pre-recorded CDs that have been carefully looked after but even discs it used to play perfectly happily now frequently produce nothing but the forlorn declaration "disc" on the display panel and no amount of speaking nicely to it will elicit any sign of the disc's presence being recognized.

So, does this sound like a common problem with a likely 'standard' fix that would be worth doing or should I say a sad farewell and get a new(er) machine?

If repairing should I get an upgrade done while it's opened up and if so how much would I have to spend / what work would people suggest to end up with sound quality in the region of the Marantz CD-6003, which the man in the shop could have easily sold me except that it would take a bit more saving up for.

If replacing, I'd probably look at a CD-63 (or 67) K.I. or a CD-6002, any which seem to sell for similar money on ebay but which is likely to offer the better sound quality, a best version of an older machine or a 'standard' version of a newer one?

Alternatively, I wonder about a CD-6000 which I suppose should offer a slight sound improvement over my 67 SE II and leave a chunk of cash over towards an upgrade of that, or finance a major raid on the Oxfam Vinyl department.....?

I mainly listen to anything from Prog Rock to Irish traditional, with a fair spattering of anything where you can hear the words.....

Any opinions, advice or other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us