New BDP-1 from Bryston

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4508
http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2010/12/better-way-towards-hi-rez-bryston-bdp -1.html

This looks interesting, although the idea of the BDA-1 and BDP-1 together is pretty financially daunting.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4205
It's been discussed heavily on Audio Circle. James posted about it well before it was released.

Looks like a very interesting product. A purist approach to digital music. They omitted a lot of features like storage and streaming because they felt they compromised the sound quality during development. The way it basically works it you feed it stored digital music in pretty much any format from an external source like a thumb drive, hard drive, NAS, etc., and it plays it. A sort of storageless computer. Not a bad approach IMO. No issues with running out of storage space, HDD failure, noise, etc.

$2k ain't cheap. Combined with the BDA-1, it's about $4500 or so when all's said and done. It won't grace my system any time soon, but if I had the cash I'd look into it.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3353
Looks cool. My only problem with it is that its basically a streamer. So you still going to need external storage or another device in the mix to use it. It has no outbound GUI, and its a linux based SS system. Now the SS system factor is really cool, but for 2K!? If Bryston were smart, which I believe they are, they would combine their DAC technology into the unit and sell it for around 3K retail. Then its worth it.

I have played with 300 dollar streamers that play every single format thrown at them including HD movie support that are also Linux, SS based units. Don't get me wrong, coming from Bryston I am sure they have done their homework and its built like a tank. I would love to pick one up and try it out but its simply insanely overpriced IMO. Thats my only beef with it. The price. Other than that, I think its a super cool unit.

*Embed the DAC!*

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4509
I agree Nick. probably would be close to 5k here in Canada for both items. WAY too much money, for me anyway.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3355
I hear ya. I feel the DAC is worth every penny when it comes to build and sound quality. But 2K for a unit that just streams music is hard for me to swallow.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4510
What flavour of Linux is it running?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3356
Doesn't say which one they use David, just that its Linux. I wonder what soundcard they are using as well. They say its Bryston modified. Cool stuff. The Solid State marketing approach is a smart one on their part. No moving parts does mean slightly less noise, and a lower failure rate.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4511
Probably a good thing they're running Linux. The solid state Netbook I have doesn't know how to cope with Windows for some reason.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3357
lol Wierd. We just full on developed a Solid State Windows 7 Embedded Solution (DVR) for Canadian Tire and its just right amazing. New solid state stuff is amazing just full on pricey as heck still.lol. Netbooks are not overly powerful machines but do the trick.

Did Bryston embed their DAC yet? I want to buy one.lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4206
I asked James about it a while back, because I couldn't understand exactly what it did. So for my application, I could connect my 1tb external HD and control it using my iPhone with an app.

A lot of guys had the usual comments like 'why no wireless,' 'why no storage,' etc. James said they tried all that stuff in development, and it always decreased sound quality. He also said there are serious issues when trying to stream hi-res. The main goal was to make a piece that put out as pure a signal with as little sonic compromise as possible. I guess they achieved that, or at least what they think they is.

It seems very good and all, but again, the price. Bryston doesn't build to a price point; they build the best product they can, then add or subtract stuff like connectivity and amp power output to make a model line up. At least that's what I gather from James' explanation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4207
I've heard thumb drives connected directly to DACs and must say it was easily the best sonic option for that gear. Naim DAC, Uniti, and one other piece from a different company that escapes my memory.

I guess there's something about no spinning parts, motors, noise from wireless receivers, etc. Those sounded far better with regular old redbook than any other way to get the signal. Hi-res was even better.

Maybe that's what Bryston found during development?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4512
Makes sense Stu. If I was gonna go with a media server, I wouldn't go wireless anyway. Nothing but a fat pipe from my router to the server to make sure every 0 and 1 were delivered perfectly. These days I have all my music stored on a 1 TB external HD to a server in my rec room. I guess this would work fine connected to the BDP-1.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4513
"Maybe that's what Bryston found during development?"

I would agree. Bryston tend do things for a reason, not to hit a price point (as you mentioned) or jump on a bandwagon.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3358
Yeah for sure. That company does not mess around. Wireless streaming almost always kills quality to some degree even on low res files. High res files it is rough going and getting into file sizes like Blu Ray is down right impossible. Unless you had fiber optic line running into your house.lol.

Moving parts in basic hard drives definitely makes a slight difference (noticeable to the naked ear probably not, but to measurements yes). I do not see how connecting an external drive(basic drive in a powered enclosure) would make any difference. The files are still coming from the drive using USB (Slower than internal SATA) which still has moving parts. Although using Flash media / Solid State drives would be key. As there is no moving parts. That would include large Thumb Drives, SD cards and Solid State Sata Drives. I have a 30 gig Solid State drive in my system right now for testing (as well been working with them at work) and they are lightning fast, reliable, and are basically one big flash drive. As they become cheaper (still pricey) they will become the norm, eventually making basic sata drives obsolete.

Wireless internal receivers are a big no no. Not only would they harm the sound but they can also cause issues with RF receivers (universal control). Good on Bryston for not including one (they suck). Wireless is convenient only and Bryston pick quality over convenience. I like that, a lot.

The I-Phone app is easy. There is an App for the Droid now called My Remote that is just plain cool. There is one for the blackberry too now(sucks).

I will pick one up down the road to play with. I am curious to see what sonic differences a full solid state system can make. I have always been a fan of no moving parts when it comes to PC technology.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4514
"The files are still coming from
the drive using USB (Slower than internal SATA) which still has moving
parts. "

Now that you mention this, I can see how it would be an issue Nick.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3359
Yeah, on paper It would make no difference. I rather an internal drive fully shock mounted in an enclosed chamber using dedicated power and full Sata2 connectivity. I rather Solid state over any of the above.lol. So fast. 32gb Thumb Drives can be had for under 50 bucks now. 64gb ones now on the market. 128 coming before x-mas.

I would love to move the Media Center downstairs for the movie management and my wife loves using the TV Tuner for the cable as a PVR. So it would stay, but I could hard wire(network) the Bryston unit to the network and stream my music from the Media Center to the Bryston in the two channel system. I get those thumb drives for cheap as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4208
Nick,

Is the SourceAV thing your gig? If yes or no, it doesn't really matter. You've made the media centers, so maybe you're the guy to ask this to...

I was thinking about what would make the perfect music server, foe me anyway. It's more of a curiosity thing, as I don't have much spare cash these days to have anything built. It's a combination of what I think is good and bad about a few different ones...

User upgradable memory - kind of like upgrading your own RAM on a laptop
All SS memory - no moving parts
No internal DAC
Balanced outputs (AES/EBU?)
Coax and optical out
Music only - no video
On screen display, iPhone control
OSD doesn't need to be Blu-Ray quality or anything like that
No wireless - Ethernet and/or USB - file get transferred this way
Touch screen like the Naim NDX, Olive stuff optional
Typical CDP sized chassis, or the size of your old BDA-1

Expensive? doable? I was thinking something like 500 gb flash memory standard, upgradable either at the time of purchase or by the user.

Forgot to add -
Plays all formats and hi-res

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3361
Hey Stu. Yup SAV is me. I started building Media Centers for people so I could sort of mix what I do for a living (Design and build high end Digital Surveillance systems) and my passion which is music and movies. I sort of do it for just a hobby at the moment, but I didn't expect to sell as many as I have already which is a good thing, and also bad at times.lol

Definitely doable my friend and would be one fantastic music server. It wouldn't be overly expensive except for the two exceptions which is the built in touch screen and SS internal storage. The dual LCD touch screens that are built in can get pretty pricey. What you COULD do instead of the internal touch screen and believe it or not would save you money, is to have an HDMI output that would route to a say 23 inch touch screen that could sit on top of the unit. 23 inch 1080p touch screen cost would run about 330 for a basic one. The internal touch screens cost around 400-500 for a good one and come in around 4 to 6 inches usually. When the system is built they have to be connected to a similar internal video output or routed from the back of a video card inside the machine. OSD would be blu ray quality as its very cheap to do so. That said, adding external or internal touch screens is very very easy. You could easily do it yourself. The reason I say this is because you could save the money right off the hopper which would pay for the 500gig Sata Solid State drive. This would lower the cost considerably as you could use any monitor or tv you have in your house that is not being used.

I-Phone control is very slick and easy and you can even have a I-Tunes app added into the OSD that syncs with your I-Tunes and automatically streams the music to the Music Server.

Everything else is inexpensive even for the highest level PC based parts. Coax/Optical and balanced outputs is not a problem as well as all file formats at high res. You can even have manual sync options for the sampling.

A system with all of this including the built in touch screen and 500gb internal Solid State drive storage should run you in and around 2k to 2300k mark(a quick average). Drop those two items and you instantly drop around 900 off that. Cheers Stu.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3363
Just to add Stu, Longer you wait on a similar unit that you spec'd cheaper it will become. Solid State is becoming cheaper by the week.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4213
I was thinking that, Nick. I doubt I'd realistically need more than 500 gb, hence my inquiring about user upgradability. The stuff I listed wasn't exactly what I'm looking for, but thought they'd make a great server. Here's what I'd want if I were ordering now...

500 gb SS memory
Coax and toslink out
Plays all music formats
OSD and iPhone control
No wireless
No video
No touch screen
No DAC

Basically a stripped down, quiet music only server that I can connect to my DAC. I wouldn't mind being able to connect a touch screen down the road. That sounds pretty cool.

Quite possibly next year, depending on the career change and it's job market.
Slim chassis if possible - matching my B60

Gold Member

Post Number: 4214
Out of curiosity, how much would that run? Obviously we'd need to discuss specifics, and I'd never hold you to an amount in a year or two that you ballparked to me today. Some things get cheaper while other things go up.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3364
Oh yeah that would be a nice setup. Yeah what you require would be no problems at all Stu. If built today it would come in at around 50 percent less than the spec'd unit above and by next year even cheaper as the 500gig SS drives are coming down fast. When the time comes I would love to quote you for what you desire. Cheers.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3365
Sorry Stu crossed posts. I will do up a final Dec 2010 price for you and PM you when I get home tonight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4215
Take your time, Nick. I'm certainly in no hurry. It's more of having a ballpark figure in my head for down the road.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15621
Oh goodie, I get a new 8T SS hard drive to buy.
With liquid cooling.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3366
lol and think it would only cost you 12 grand. Just in time for the holidays.lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15625
Next year it will only be 6k$?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4608
One on the used market already:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/210996-bryston_bdp1_see_photo/

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3428
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/212527-bryston_bdp1_digital_music_player_ see_photo/

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4623
A few of them popping up on Agon this week too. Makes me wonder if there's something about them people aren't liking. Maybe usability?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us