The current system...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 572
I'm blitzing the forum with pics, Nuck! Have a good time on your trip, btw!

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Those are the QED screwloc banana plugs on the ends of my speaker cable. Bought some heat shrink off Parts Express to finish off the cables nicely and then attached the QED screwlocs. I'm not sure if that's my permanent solution, but it works well for now.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 573
Upload

Upload

Upload

Well, that's it. Will post some pics of my Tektons tomorrow. The Quads sound great, but struggle a bit with rock music. So I'll be heading over to Alternative Audio for a pair of huge Dynaudio DM 2/8 (trading in the 12L2 and my sub). When I think back to the speakers I've enjoyed in the past, my Tannoy F2 and the PMC TB2i, they were both big speakers. Lots of internal volume. They just created this big sense of scale and openness. So I hope the 2/8 can give me what the Quads do, but with that little bit extra. I am being picky now. I could easily live with the Quads and it's hard to let them go. But I don't use my sub (the Dyn doesn't need one) and I think the 2/8 will excel with rock music.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 432
Well, ater re-carpeting the house (and currently shopping for new accent rugs and area rugs), we're still shopping and buying new furniture. Still have a ton of rearranging and organizing to do (new computer desk, furniture and stuff).

So we're not even half way done, yet. Still a lot of work to do and shopping to do. But I got sick of not having music in my office. So a temporary setup was required. Can you dig the groovy colors? LOL.

Since it's only temporary, I wasn't about to try and drag the Mac C252 out and get in to the shelf unit. Only to have to takem out in another month or two. So the Vincent SAT1 and Van Alstine Fet Valve 500 are working the Jamo C607.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0906.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0899.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0900.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0901.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0904.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0905.jpg

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Or just check out the pics at this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18427082#post18427082

Easier than resizing for this forum.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12425
NMT, use the link button man!

Dan, cool pics. Good luck with Dyns.

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
Okay Art. let's try it again......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0899.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0900.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0901.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0906.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0904.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/NMyTree/JamoC607Pics/DSCF0905.jpg

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 574
If there was a Jamo dealer in my area I'd consider the C 803. Nice looking speakers btw, NMyTree.

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12428
That's it, NMT! Great pics!

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
Thanks guys. Can't wait till all this shopping, buying and re-arranging is over.

The wallet is taking a beating

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3099
Great pics, NMT, Dan and Nuck.

All we need is some sort of worm hole we could slide through and listen to each other's systems.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14854
Thanks guys, and thanks for the godspeed Dan.\Man, just look back a year and where you are now.
Say hi to Chad for me.
The place is money hole, you know...haha!

another shameless link to the best hifi shop for miles and miles...

http://www.alternativeaudio.ca/

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 577
I've only ever bought a few LPs from there (I'm actually cleaning LPs now, just taking a break!). It's a bit of a drive for me, an hour and a half or so. This will be my first equipment purchase. The guys at AA have always been great when I've been there though (I think it's been two times so far). I'm looking forward to it, I've always wanted to hear a Dynaudio speaker.

The two best that I've dealt with are Ovation and Audio Eden. The future for Ovation is up in the air though. They might be closing up shop, at the very least they will be moving as they've elected not to renew their lease.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14856
You will not be disappointed, Dan.
The shop is top drawer, nice place, no coffee. No bulllshit.The bathroom is clean,LOL!

These guys have lent me stuff long term many times.

Pass on the Dyn 220's or the new range of mid floorstanders.

Have fun!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12432
Oops MR!...lol!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3100
Woops Art!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 583
response to leo's post from another thread...

I've had my speakers for a couple months or so. Lots of moving around. I think their location right now helps to enable good punchy bass. When I pushed them further out this was lost, I think because they were slightly further away from a corner (the desk and wall). Pushing them further out also seemed to make music seem too distant and muddied the soundstage. Maybe they are just as far apart as they can get. 6' apart in a room that is 13' long, so there is about 3' to either side. I can only move the listening position back so much every time I move the speakers further out since the other dimension is only 10'.

I've tried toeing the speakers out too, but this resulted in a loss of focus. Toeing them in any further again seems to result in a loss of focus.

I've got two things I'm thinking of doing...first is maybe putting something on the wall behind the listening position, just to help absorb some sound. Right now it's nothing but a bare wall. Overall I think the room is well damped. Lots of furniture, wall to wall carpeting, and the ceiling is damped too. I know you want a well damped room but not too much. There needs to be a bit of life as well.

The other thing I'm thinking about is isolation, both the speakers and other components. Perhaps either vibrapods, isonodes, or this product from edenSound. I like the ability to combat electric shocks, which is an issue here in the winter when there is lots of dry air.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/edensound.htm

Thinking these might be an affordable upgrade too: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/pangea_ac9_ac14.htm

I'll have to think these things through a bit, especially isolation of the speakers. I know some folks believe that they should be isolated from their stand, but others think that they should essentially be made part of the stand, I think so that the stand dissipates some of the energy to the floor.

So far all I've tried on the speakers is Blu Tack, but wasn't a big fan. Right now I've just got the pads that Quad puts on the bottom. Personally I've had good results with these self-adhesive vinyl feet that I buy for like $1.49 at the grocery store. They are clear and are labeled as "Eco Vinyl". They feel like soft rubber and have nice grip, and probably do a little bit of isolation too. The reason I started buying them was because my first speaker (Energy C-1) came with something like them. However, I quickly learned that most other speakers don't.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3102
I was thinking about your set up Dan, and I was going to say that I don't think your Quads are finding their potential that far out into the room. As they are rear ported they will be at theit best closer to the wall. However, I can see why you can't do that with that credenza between them. Judging by the pics, I think floorstanders won't work in that small area, so if the Quads won't rock your boat, maybe bigger standmounts might, but if your listening position is almost against the rear wall then you are already at a great disadvantage imho.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3103
Just add Dan, those Dyn's get great reviews, but are also rear ported and unless you can do something about their positioning (and yours), you may end up with similar problems.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 584
Hey M.R., I'm not right up against the wall, I'm actually 2' off of it. I kind of think I shouldn't be right up against it. Perhaps long-term I'll have to find another place for the credenza as it really hampers my options.

Is it not conventional wisdom that rear ported speakers should actually be somewhat away from the rear wall? Too much bass reinforcement if you are up close I believe. Front ported speakers by comparison always have room to breathe.

The RS5 are a very small floorstander, other than the exceptionally bright top end they did a pretty nice job. So a small floorstander probably works in this room. MA is one other speaker that's crossed my mind (the MA RX2, like the Dyn an 8" bookshelf design). Supposedly Monitor Audio toned down the highs as part of their new line. I still shy away from the metal tweeter though. Dynaudio is probably the safer bet.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3104
Dan, with a listening position a foot from the rear wall you are up against it with any speaker. It's about refelections and standing waves - something you might want to research (room set - up & listening position etc). I understand about room restrictions, I have some problems in that area myself, but given your room size and layout (according to your pics) you have real problems. I understand why you were having top end problems. For an experiment, put some music on with some high top end, sit in your position and cup your hands behind your ears (give them the Mickey Mouse effect). Do that and remove them and repeat. If you hear the difference, your room is also doing that to your music as well as other things.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 585
I'll try what you suggested. The top end problems are not so much an issue now with the 12L2. I may just hang a couple of paintings on the wall behind me as a very easy first step. I don't think this will get the 12L2 to sound bigger or anything like that, but it might help in other areas.

I initially typed that the listening position is 1' off the wall, it's actually 2'.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12440
Did you listen to some LP's last night, Dan?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 586
Nope, I'm planning to listen a bit tonight. Though I might just finish off the cleaning first and then dive in next weekend. Weekends always seem to fly by with not nearly as much listening as I was hoping.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3771
Man, I've missed a lot since I've been away! Nice pics guys.

Interesting what you say about the Quads Dan ("The Quads sound great, but struggle a bit with rock music"). I've had my eye on some Quads for some time, but I've heard mixed reviews on how they would fare with my preferred genres of music. I think they may actually be too laid back with the type of music I like, especially now with the current tube rig.

I've yet to drag the RS6 downstairs to try on the tubes. I think the sharp top end might actually be a good fit.

I know what you mean about the weekends flying by! By the time we get the kids to bed, etc... it's time for my bedtime.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 587
A couple of examples...Tom Petty's "Into the Great Wide Open" sounds outstanding on the Quads.

Softer songs on the Stones' Voodoo Lounge sound just as good. It's a good quality rock recording. But the harder stuff on that album sounds a lot smaller than I've heard from other speakers.

If you read WhatHiFi's review of the 11L2, they indicate vocals are often somewhat underwhelming. This is my experience as well, I find they often lack some immediacy. It's not a huge shortcoming, and I guess it's easy to nitpick almost anything and not all that easy finding a speaker that ticks off every single box.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2371
From the RPG web site;

Upload

2D Quadratic Residue Diffuser

Designed utilizing modulated quadratic residue number theory, the performance of these units is similar to their 1D counterpart, only in 2D! The scattered energy is in the form of a hemi-sphere. Now available in a lightweight expanded polystyrene as well as molded gypsum and furniture grade wood units, this panel technology brings high performance in a low profile -- great for applications where headroom is at a premium.

Or you can go to IKEA and buy a 4 by 4 cube shelving unit and stack your albums hapazardly in the shelves like I did on each of my side walls next to my speakers. Works great at diffusion.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 588
Interesting Michael. I wasn't sure exactly what diffusion meant, but think I've found a nice explanation here: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/2071-what-s-sound-diffusion-.html

I have a CD/DVD rack that's up against the wall to the right of my system. It looks like the one below but is actually twice the capacity. Just imagine another set of shelves beside the one in the pic. Maybe I'll move that behind me and see what it does.

Upload

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2372
Dan, knowing that will make things easier for you. That rack should certainly help if you move it behind your listening position. I went back up and looked back at your pics but I could not see where you have it place now. It is possible that moving it could create a different negative scenario too.

When I say haphazard I mean albums (or discs in your case) that are not all perpendicular to the shelf below it, that plus some are up to 40% pulled out and others are pushed back deeper than the edge of the shelf. The idea is to create an uneven surface as possible across the front of the shelving unit using your media for this diversity.

Let us know how this worked for you.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 589
You can't see it in the pics. It's to the right of my system. The 2nd pic is of the RS5 speaker. You'll see a door in the background. On the right most part of the pic you'll see black running from top to bottom. That is the side of the CD rack. You can also see the bottom corner of it in the 4th pic. It's just over 3 feet long and almost 6 feet tall and so will cover the back of the listening position very well. Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know how it works out.

I still may go for the Dyns as my sub is sitting and doing nothing, and from what I've read they excel at rock music, and of course are a bit more full range than the Quads. But I have a feeling I'm in need of some diffusion regardless. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes while I still have the Quads.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 597
So I moved the CD rack behind the listening spot. Glad I did. The improvement is very significant. There is definitely a larger sense of scale. Still not quite what I want I don't think, but now it sounds right. The biggest improvement isn't there though, I think the bigger sound is more of an effect (rather than a cause). I'm not sure what the audiophile word is but before it was like certain parts of the frequency range were being canceled out by reflections off the back wall. The sound has definitely cleared up, I can hear everything going on in the music and it just sounds a lot more coherent. I think when all that is working then that sense of scale is a natural result. Thanks for the suggestion, Michael.

I've got a few more pics here, first the move of the CD rack and then I might upload some of my cooler looking LPs. I'll finally be listening to some vinyl tonight!

Before
Upload
After
Upload
Picture disc, front
Upload
Picture disc, back
Upload

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3118
Looks good Dan. Glad the furniture placement has helped.

Have you tried listening to the t/t without the dust cover on?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 598
Not yet. I think I'll try it with the cover on first, then without it to hear if there's a big difference. I know most people recommend taking it off.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3780
Cool LP Dan! The Quads are beautiful man. Love the maple finish.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3120
Yeah, that birds-eye maple looks great.
Mine are plain maple - still nice, but not as eye catching.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 599
Thanks David. There's no CD that looks like that, that's for sure!

I didn't know Quad made a plain maple finish. Piano black (might be my personal fave), rosewood, cherry, bird's eye maple is all that I knew about.

The good thing about the finish that I have is it really doesn't show any scratches. Unlike black, which I'm convinced will get scratched even if they go untouched.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3781
Lots of lacquer on them huh? I was kicking around buying a pair of used 22L2's a couple of weeks ago, but hesitated too long.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12465
Looking good, Dan.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2374
Dan,

I am glad that did for you what I thought it might. Thanks for posting back. As to the dust cover on while playing music, no contest, take it off, remove it completely from the turn table if possible while the turn table is in use. If you do not have one get a bubble level and place it near the spindle on the platter. You cannot balance your table with the dust cover on because if you have the dust cover on and down you will introduce critical vibrations to the stylus and cartridge that you can avoid by not having the dust cover on. if you slimply tilt it back you unbalance your turntable making it next to impossible for your stylus to track in the grooves accurately.

One last thing, if you like GNR go pick up Slash's new CD. You won't regret it. Cheers!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2375
Dan, one more thing, you are too neat with the placement of you media on your rack. It will really work better if you could mix it up a bit, perhaps even sharing a single shelf with CDs and DVDs mixed together. Scroll up to see what I initially suggested.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3782
Slash's solo album is better than Axl's last solo album (aka Chinese Democracy), and I doubt it took it 15 years to make!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 600
I'll be mixing up the placement of the CDs and DVDs a bit once I get them sorted. I like to organize discs in alphabetical order. Once that happens I will move some out and some in as you suggested. It's definitely not organized right now (only the top left rack is, the remainder are basically in piles of listened-to and not-listened-to-yet discs). But I know what you mean, discs aren't stacked random enough. Still, the difference in sound just from this change is pretty amazing.

I don't have a bubble level yet, but I'll get one shortly and try what you suggest.

I haven't checked out Slash's CD yet but I've heard the first single. Pretty good. I'll be buying a copy shortly. I've got respect for both Axl and Slash. GN'R wouldn't have been nearly as good without either of those guys. Slash knows this and that's why he'd like to reform GN'R. Axl knows this I'm sure but is too stubborn to give in. Axl's got some great tunes on his CD, though they are way over-produced. Anyways, Axl's on tour now and he's really ripping it up. He's about 48 years old, but in great shape and his voice is as close as anyone could ever hope it would be to his prime years. A reunion right now would be pretty sweet, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3121
his voice is as close as anyone could ever hope

Is that what that is - a voice?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 601
Hey, for jazz it might not work. But for a dirty bluesy hard rock band it's perfect!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2376
Egos have gotten in the way before with bands, Beatles and Pink Floyd no less.

I think it would be great if Axl and Slash could reunite.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3122
If only Axl could sing as good as Slash plays guitar . . .
My opinion only of course, Dan.

I like quite a bit of heavy rock (more in the past), but could never take GnR. But record sales indicate I'm not in the majority.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2377
I'm thinking you mean before glam, glitter and hair bands M.R. What were the hard rock groups you favored? Grand Funk Railroad? Rare Earth? Deep Purple? Black Sabbath?,or maybe later ala Creed? Oasis? Nirvana?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3123
Yeah Mike you're right on.

Mostly Deep Purple, Sabbath, a bit of Iron Maiden and Uriah Heap - a bit of other yesteryear stuff - but heavy rock was never my fave genre - tended more to rock, blues especially, and introduced jazz in my later years. I listen mostly to those pending time of day, mood, liquor and company.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 603
Got 7 more pics of some cool looking vinyl, just for the heck of it.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 604
Upload

Upload

Upload

So far I've been listening with the cover on and down, but will be testing it with the cover off soon.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2379
I like the translucent LPs! I have a few too, Wish You Were Here in the same blue and a Stones LP in white vinyl among some others.

Nice pics Dan, thanks.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12468
I get the worst results with the cover down, better with it up and best with it off. I also generally get better results without the clever clamp, though not always.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 180
I've been collecting a few odds and ends over the last month or two.
Extruded aluminum - 140 mm sq x 1200 mm ... 4 pieces
4 sets of brushed aluminum Dayton Leveling Spikes
Picked up two glass shelves last week 3/8" thick x 24 x 18 with holes drilled in the corners
Got an 1/8" sheet - 12" sq of neoprene rubber from Grainger's (glad our old commercial account was still active)
Yesterday .. picked up a 1" thick slab of granite, same dimensions as the glass shelves.
This morning, in Chattanooga, picked up a 2" x 9.5" x 98" long slab of kiln dried maple. I've been looking for it for quite a while, questions to various vendors finally played out.
They cut it in [3] 32" long pieces so it would fit in the trunk, on top of the granite.

Can't justify buying the tools I'd like to finish the wood (planer, jointer, etc) so I'll be dropping off the wood on Friday to a local cabinet maker.

This has turned into an investment, not near what the components that will fit on it cost, but still .. an investment.

Business has me busier than I can recall in a long time, and too much travel thrown in.
It will be May before this can all come together, but now .. its only time, as I've collected all the parts.

Pics .. ohh they'll come

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14869
Mad scientist time!!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3282
It's not my system, but it caught my eye, and reminded me of how little you need to spend, and how little space you need to allot, to have a great little set-up...

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3175
I might pick up the new Trends T-Amp to play with and it like it with some easy to power speakers it will go in the office. Cool Pick Christopher.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3283
There are several knock-off T-Amps for sale on eBay, these have caught my eye...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=t-amp+ex&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4205
40 bucks you can't go wrong.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3284
Pretty...

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3178
Wow..40 bucks. Here I was going to spend 245 on the new Trendz unit. Might try one of those first.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15343
Toss 40$ on flea bay and get a dead unit?
It is 40$ for a reason...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3179
Good point!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3285
That's why they have Seller Ratings....300+ Sales, 99+% Positive Feedback.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3286
Can anyone point me to a link where they sell the Sonic Impact T-Amp Gen.2, 'cause I can't find one?...I think the company is kaput?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15345
Upload

Got a surprise delivery from pigman today...
The Maple goods are here!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15346
Upload

70 lbs of fine smooth Maple, lads!

Mitered, doweled and from the hands of a craftsman selected by the owner of the mill.

How should I finish them?

The speaker slabs are very soon going to be the plinths for the Gallo's in a transplant.

Footers?

I am thinking thin sharp spikes to go to the wood underneath.

The MC 402 just got a lot heavier....

Cheers!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 765
How should I finish them?

Looks great Nuck. Here's one vote for cherry. It'll match the base of your Gallos and look great under the black of the Mac.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3287
Are you going to spike them?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15347
I am going to diamond mount the speaker plinths to the floor, CM, then pop in jackposts from underneath.
the amp is ok as is, I think

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4208
Nice!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15348
Gonna open the Gallo's plinth (Gallow's Pole?) to check the mount (gasket?) and Lc to drill and mount the masts direct to the new maple plinths.
Stay tuned, mapleshade lovers...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3288
I'm on pins & needles....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15349
I see a cliffhanger coming up...

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1230
Looks good, Nuck. Maple don't like to take stain too well...rub some tung oil on/in em and enjoy.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4213
What about clear varathane?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3289
http://www.minwax.com/products/one_step_stain_and_finishes/express-color.html#Co lors

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1509
Nuck,
How much of a difference in your Gallo's with woofer 'in' or 'out'?

Just rotating my panels in place made a *dramatic* change for the better.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 191
Nuck,
For wood that beautiful, I'd recommend keeping it as natural as possible, akin to your music.
The 45mm slab that my Cary rests on was sanded down with 320 grit till it was smoother than a baby's backside. Ask DM for a reference on that RA value.
I sprayed my slab with several coats of Lacquer Sand & Seal, then top coated it with a sprayed Polyurethane.
Maple doesn't take to staining too well, & IMHO, hides a most beautiful natural grain.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15354
Thanks guys, all under advisement.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2415
Leo,

It makes all the difference in the world in my set up. From rich full fast bass when pointed out toward the side walls as Nuck and Bryan have theirs to nearly bass cancellation in my room when facing towards each other.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3180
Three things.

1.) 40 dollar amps = Boing!!
2.) Nucks Slabs = Shwing shwing!!
3.) Seeing Wodek on the forum = Boom!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3290
If anyone bites the bullet on a MUSE T-Amp, be sure to let me know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3291
...and if you do, be sure to pick up the "EX2" version.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15358
I tried inside position once, for about 10 seconds, then went back.
The cancellation was large.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1520
Feasible / possible to swap phase on 1 woofer only?
I'll bet it creates a huge image shift, and NOT for the better!

Man, when I rotated my panels in place, it was like buying a new system. At that point, I had to swap phase on my sub, too, to restore bass. The positives overwhelm while the only negative is that the speaker connectors are now on the 'front' where someone can do a ooops.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15360
caution tape?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1521
I'd recommend clearing a 200 meter radius around 'test site'. A couple large in movie tickets and popcorn vouchers would work.

NO adult beverages for at least 24 hours prior to test. Clear heads must prevail.

But if you are in the 'happy place', dont' touch that dial. I've got exactly 1 test left to run...that of speaker toe-in. Not that I'm unhappy in the least, but just for the sake of finishing what I started.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3983
Facelift...

Upload

Not a new B60, just replaced the faceplate. Looks so much better in silver IMO. Shoulda did it a long time ago.

Sorry for the poor picture quality. Took it on my iPhone. Gotta figure out which box the camera is in.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4238
Looks good Stu!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3192
Awesome Stu. I do dig the silver as well.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13130
I love the B60, great looking amp and a stellar value.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1571
Upload
Upload
Upload

Here you go Art :-) I had to shrink everything down to fit. I have another shelf with CDs that isnt in that pic, and one yet to bring up here.

Time for me to look for bigger units...lol

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1572
I have had the appj / miniwatt for about a week now.I will post impressions on it once I am sure it has run in (was basically NIB on audiogon...and sounded it). I gave Art several brief comments on it in the "music" thread.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1573
CDP: Marantz SA-8001
Amplification: Marantz PM-7001 and APPJ PA9092A
Interconnects: Audioquest Copperhead RCA
Speaker cables: Audioquest...can't remember the series.
Speakers: Tekton Design 4.5 SDFR

Also have KEF iQ3 and Magnepan MMG in storage. I am hanging on the maggies a bit longer.

TV is an akai LCD HDTV. Really don't watch lots of TV.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3313
That is a killer budget system, congrats! Now try floor-mounting the Tektons like this http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/products.asp?dept=63 and tell me what you think.

Upload

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13152
Very nice, Gav! Thanks for getting those pics on so soon.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1577
thanks art! I am really digging the tubes. This little amp has a certain addictive immediacy and intimacy. The Rantz is certainly a brute, but that is not needed with these speakers.

The tonality of the amp has really changed as it has played. When I first received it, I let it warm up for 30 mins... and brightness city! Now it has fleshed out nicely! It makes me think that it really was not used at all :-)

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1578
I am shocked at the amount of drive it has... When I first put it in, I was thinking "Oh,Ok 3.5 watts"

Step 1: put CD in

Step 2: Gavin turns volume up

Step 3: Gavin sits down

Step 4: Gavin runs like hell for the volume

Yup... never again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us