Small, compact hifi system to extend my headphone amp

Bronze Member
Username: Dohara

Post Number: 11
Hi

I'm looking for a small shelf system to extend my headphone amp. My current setup is

Wadia 171iTransport -> Nuforce Icon HDP DAC/amp -> headphones.

The Nuforce HDP has got a pre-out that i want to send into the mini system.

Can you give me some hints please?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15623
Hi David!

How much you wants to pay?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hi Plymouth

As for the costs i'm ok to spend at around 1500 - 2000$ but it has to cover the amp and the speakers.

Both the amp and the speakers should be small enough to fit to the shelf, which is 26 cm. (so the max depth should be some 22 cm so that i can have enough room for the cables)

I've been looking at the Wadia 151 power DAC/amp (20-20 cm) for a while but have not found out so far which bookshelf speakers would match. I'm of course happy to try other small amps as well.

The Nuforce is very good as a DAC so i don't want to buy something that is beneath that quality.

so small amp, small bookshelfs, 1500 - 2000$ budget and good SQ.

Let me know about your thoughts.
Cheers,
David

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I've just taken a look around and found the following amps that match the size reqs.

- russ andrews RAVE usb 1 amp
- nuforce Icon Amp
- kingrex
- peachtree audio

As i already have the Nuforce HDP, the Nuforce Icon Amp could be a logical step here.

iPod --> Wadia171iTransport --> Nuforce HDP DAC/pre-amp --> Nuforce Icon Amp --> Speakers ???

These amps are considerably cheaper than the Wadia 151 Power DAC/amp. If you have any other amp in your mind please let me know so i can come up with a list to the sales guy.

As for the speakers, well, i'm still in trouble.
Found some with the expected depth but don't know much about them.

- Alesis M1 passive speaker - It's size is ok but it has got a bass reflex hole on its back. It would be 1-2 cm from the wall. Is it a problem?

- Paradigm Micro Monitor (WxHxD - 24.7 cm x 16.5 cm x 23.1 cm)

- TASCAM VL-M3 with a built in 24w power amp. Dimensions: 3.9" W x 6.0" H x 5.4" D
If it has the power amp then i reckon i should not buy a separate power amp to drive it.

- Cambridge audio SL20 bookshelf - 198 x 129 x 178mm
- Cambridge audio S30 bookshelf - 226 x 160 x 235mm

- TEAC LS-H250-BK - 190 x 280 x 210 mm

I think i'd like to have passive speakers. Not sure if i could/want take any use of active speakers.
Not sure what would be a matching set. Please let me know about your thoughts.

Any idea is welcome

David

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 464
I'm a little confused David, what are you trying to accomplish?

Denon recently introduced a system that's very internet oriented, but has a cd player and iPod dock built in too. It looks like and basically is a mini receiver. It's $600 plus an additional $200 if you want the speakers made for it. Since you already have speakers, may as well skip them. It has 2 analog inputs, one optic digital, a usb port and an ethernet connection. It sounds nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us