Outlaw 950/770 vs Marantz 9300 - need advice

Paul Berry
I am planning to upgrade my current home theater system with a new amp/pre-pro or a receiver. It will be replacing my Denon 3300 which will be demoted to the workout room in the basement. My budget for the amp/receiver is about $2,500 - $3,000.

The parts of my system that will remain in-place are Monitor Audio silver speakers all around and a Paradigm PW2200 sub. The room measures about 15X30. Now and in the future the system will be used about 75/25:music/movies. We listen mostly to classical and jazz in our house. I like the enveloping sound of 5-channel stereo on the Denon and hope to improve the effect with the better processing of today's equipment.

At this point I have narrowed my focus to the Marantz 9300 receiver and the Outlaw 950/770 pre-pro/amplifer. With my main priority being sound quality (especially detail and precsion) I expect that the Outlaw system may have an advantage. Will it, and by how much? Some comments in various reviews have indicated that the sound in higher frequencies is a little harsh and analytical. Is that comment only relative to more expensive separates or also receivers like the Marantz?

As for the Marantz, it has a better remote, THX Ultra certifications, a headphone jack, and a phono jack - all of which are minor advantages. Its 140 w/channel is probably sufficient for my use, although less robust than the 200/channel of the Outlaw system.

Given my priorities what do you recommend? I hope to make the purchase within the next two weeks. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Anonymous
I understand that the Marantz is a lot more expensive that the Outlaw combination. My preference will stay with Marantz (the SR-9300 is future proof also). Also, think about using the new SR-7400(cheaper and also upgradable) as a pre and either look into monoblocks or other type of amps (maybe Bryston amps) for a pre-pro combination.

expert
Unregistered guest
Get the separate package. Once you get the outlaw 950/770 combo you will toss away any receiver. I can guarranty this 1000%. If you don't believe it, you can have a 30 day trial from Outlaw. They'll refund you in full if you don't like. I've tossed away my $3000 receiver, went to separate and NEVER look back. Everytime I think about expensive receiver I am so regretful for the waste of money into receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Xtremeht

Post Number: 11
Go with the separates, receivers are convenient but the sound quality is so much better with separates and outlaw has pretty good reviews.

Unregistered guest
Separates. The Outlaw units are terrific for the price. No receiver has amps this good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us