Speaker Level Powered Sub

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 63
If you connect a powered sub at speaker level, what is the draw that is acrued on the amp? If for example it is a amp with two channels, two amps but four sets of binding post, does connecting the sub have any negative affects on the quality or the watts coming out for the main channels?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15454
Chris

The high level input on a amplified sub does not drain the amplifier power on the amp speakers output because the impedence is very high compared with the low impedence of the amp output, but if I was you I would connect the sub through the low level input for a better reproduction of the sound.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1792
First, some sub manufs like the speaker level outputs....REL for example. Others will prefer line level.
Second, are you going to run your speakers full range?
If so, you could run wire as tiny as magnet wire to the sub only and not bother using the sub as 'pass thru' to the mains. Leave the current wire to the mains speakers undisturbed.
If you want to ease the strain on your main speakers and amp, you'll need to go thru the subs speaker binding posts.
Does your sub have a switchable crossover?
Plym is right....at speaker level almost NO power is 'used' by the sub.
If you are so inclined, EXPERIMENT away. You've got nothing to lose but some time.....and maybe the cost of some speaker wire. I've heard tell of fans of Home Despot extension cord being used as speaker wire.....it's either 12/2 or 14/2 .

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 299
If your system is stereo only and your receiver/pre-amp has a sub out, you should use the sub out. Like Plymouth said, the sound quality will be better. If you don't have a sub out, you'll have to use the speaker level. If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 channel system, you may want to set your center and rear/surround speakers on "small" and your front L & R to "large" on your receiver and connect your sub at the speaker level. I say this because most theater receivers shut off the sub out when in stereo mode.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15462
Super

"I say this because most theater receivers shut off the sub out when in stereo mode"

My Yamaha does not cut the sub in stereo mode but maybe you are right!

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
Most is the key word Plym. It's those things that's usually left out of the owner's manual too.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15545
Commonly known as bass management.

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Yes, bass managemnt. I guess that term escaped us all except you Nuck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15547
\
just makes it easier to tell, is all, that's the most commonly used term in ads etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
I know, been a long day...

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
I know, been long day..

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 64
Thank you all. As of right now I have a H/K 445 with plently of binding post out puts and a sub direct line level out. I ask because I am thinking of going to an integrated to gwt better sound in stereo. Speaking of REL, are these considered good subs for the money I was thinking of the T2 to upgrade from my Boston PV500. I would hopefully be matching with B&W 684.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15561
REL is considered amonth the better musical subs, indeed, but there are better units for the movie/music transitions.

Chris, this can and will become a focal point for the music, if you intend on a 2.1 setup. Absolutely critical. If your musical tastes, room and requirements can get away without a sub, then do so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us