Amp to Get for NAD 3240PE as Preamp

This is a continuation of my question about using an NAD 3240PE integrated amp as a preamp that was posted on the preamp bb. It is a newbie question, but I have only had a receiver and an integrated amp in the past.

I am looking at amps to go with the 3240 and I have seen some models with all sorts of pots (knobs, controls, whatever), some models with left and right volume, and some with only an off/on switch.

If the preamp controls volume, left/right, tone, etc., why does an amp need anything except an off/on switch (maybe an A/B)? Am I missing something?

Hawk
Jed:

Good question, actually. There is no need for an amp to have "pots" IMO, but I think in some cases it is to make the amp appear more impressive than it really is (marketing) and in some case, with high end manufacturers, they are giving their amp the ability to adjust relative volume between the channels due to any imperfections coming from the pre-amp or because the amp is not going to be used in a stereo context, but as two mono amps for different applications (i.e., when a stereo amp is used to drive a speaker in different rooms such as for background music in a shop).

I remember your earlier post. What exactly are you looking for in a power amp?

You may remember from the earlier post that my NAD 3240PE integrated amp drops out and crackles back on during soft passages of classical and voice. I was hoping that the 3240 amp section just was no longer able to adequately power the Mirage 90is and Polk Monitor 5Bs. (The outdoor Jamos don't seem to have the problem, but they are rated at 20w. Headphones don't have the problem either, also probably low wattage.)

From one of the threads I got the URL for Audio-Direct and found there the AMC 2100. It boasts 100w for less than $250. I thought this would be a cheap experiment to see if the 3240 can serve as a preamp and eliminate the crackling and popping.

Hawk
Jed:

I don't know anything about the AMC amp, so I have no comment on it. I will say that I think your plan is a good one. However, if you want an alternative, here is a link for an outstanding amplifier that is just a tad more money and probably has more real power:

http://accessories4less.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=1018641-EVEREST-8WNFNV50&ic=ADC%2DGFA5300&cc=&tpc=

I love these Adcom amps. They are very clean and a wonderful value.

Good luck.

Thank you, Hawk!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us