Amps

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15496
Sorry< I don't remember if it was 6 watts or only 5...
But seeing as this is a Mcintosh 400 watt amplifier, and would blow you had clean off, you might ask youself a a question.

Do your speakers feel lucky, PUNK?

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 107
If you're saying the speakers only handle 5 or 6 watts each, yeah. That's akin to what lightning striking your power lines would do to your system if it's not properly protected.

However, If your speakers are rated for 300 watts each, your 400 wpc Mac amp is LESS likely to blow them than a 150 wpc amp made by most companies. That's because Macs are made so well that they are not prone to clipping. Clipping and distortion do far more damage than "too many" watts. I know a guy who had his 1200 watt monoblock Mac amps pushing 1200 watts into his 800 watt B & W speakers for hours with no problem at all.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15498
Mac cannot clip, see power sentry.
At any rate, speaker ratings are meaningless.
I wish speaker guys could understand this.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15499
On a matter of pure useful power, the Mac is a nice handy sledgehammer when asked to do that duty.

I do not consider the Mac a very good 'first watt' setup, but my room kinda defers to that duty.

Better deal for the money?

If you need only a power amp that can also weld?

Classe ca300

I have before, and will again, recommend this amp for the most severe loads available, and deliver smooth and diligent notes at any power level.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
So far, Mac and B & K played through B&W 801s are the 2 best combos I've heard. Of course everyone's ears are different and it depends on how loud you like it. Moderate volume is the norm for me. Even with 80 wpc stereo and 100 watt sub, if I were to turn the volume up just below half no one would be able to stay in the house. My wife accused me of listening to music loud when it was moderate. So I showed her what loud is! No need for a Mac here! Can you imagine?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15505
Average on the meters here is 2 watts. Lots.

But nothing says excess like too much, so the tap is always available.

Ask a few guys on this forum what I consider 'too much' haha.

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
I'll take from that, you like your music pretty loud?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15506
I like to have 2 KW on hand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Please think about your hearing!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15508
huh?

My band days took care of that decades ago bud, but thanks, and I extend your same advise to anybody else reading along.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4050
Where the volume knob is has zero bearing on how loud a stereo can go and how many watts are being used. My NAD 320BEE got pretty loud at 9:00, and ran out of gas at about 11:00. It wouldprobably blow my speakers at 12:00 due to distortion. The logic of 'If it's that loud at 9:00, imagine how loud it would be at 3:00' is fatally flawed. My Bryston B60's volume knob averages 11 - 12:00, and has gone to about 3:00 before it got absurdly loud. Never clipped though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15510
I can, upon request, do 'loud'

Tony Bennet does not need to be loud to deliver the goods.

Led Zep, however, does need the goose, for me.

Dave, Nick..it's not loud, is it?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15511
After I change out the amp(s), things will be much more clear.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15430

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd370798(VS.85).aspx

http://windworld.com/products-page/electronic-hardware/250k-potentiometer-volume -control-audio-taper/

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17 4&Itemid=44

"Potentiometer Tapers
The taper (also called "law") of a pot is important. We need not worry with trimpots, since they are almost always linear, and I do not know of a supplier of anything other than linear trimpots. For all panel pots, we must be aware of the use the pot will have, and select the correct type accordingly."; http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15512
The old addage of '12 o'clock for best output' has always been a crock of shite.

Still is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
I agree Nuck, It depends on how loud your system can get and how loud you like it. "12:00 is best" is like saying that 70 Hz is always the right crossover point for your subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4356
I thought I had heard loud (on a home hi-fi system) until I was at Nuck's place listening to VH's Unchained at rock concert levels, with no distortion whatsoever.

That being said, there must be to "loud" than just sheer wattage. I had a 10 watt SET amp for awhile that would play to ridiculous volumes, even on just reasonably efficient speakers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15513
The whole of Maple Leaf Gardens was powered by 36 SET watts!

Of course, having 112db, massive loaded horns makes an impact.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4362
I didn't know that! I do remember those speakers though....

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
If you have speakers with an efficiency of 120 dB @ 1 watt/1m that can perform well at 1 watt, You don't need many watts at all to get loud!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15515
remember that this is the gardens. The speaker are mostly mounted 130' (40 meters) up in the air, filling a cavernous space, right?
Think volume and timing.
Well, the designers in the 30's were not all that good with sound timing in a hockey arena.
Truly awesome for a hockey game, truly dreadful for singing in, as far ls the building goes.
Empty or full.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Yes, room acoustics certainly play a part.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4368
MLG sorta takes "room acoustics" to the nth degree.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
I guess so! My living room reinforces bass, so I have to keep my sub level low. I can't begin to imagine a room that does that with 112 dB speakers at only 36 watts! I don't think I could stay!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15518
If you watched most of the hockey there over 30 yrs after 1967, you could not stay either!

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
I have a hard time staying in the AT&T Center when my son drags me to Spurs games! I thought that place was loud! I guess it doesn't compare to MLG.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us