I'm rebuilding my Theta mono tube amps & need to buy quality,great sounding, moderately priced film & foil polypropylene 0.47uf 600/630 volt coupling & by-pass capacitors. Does anyone prefer the sonics of Audio Cap Theta series($12), Multi Cap PPFXS($13), Auricap ($22), Mundorf ZN series($11) or Sonicap Generation I ($5). Cap length can't exceed 1.3".For several reasons,leadsmust be solid,not multistranded. On a price performance basis, I'm thinking Honda & Lexus ratherthan Mazeratti or Ferrari quality. Only the Auricaps seem too costly. I realize that sonics are subjective but would appreciate your recommendations?

Username: Riverman47

Post Number: 1
I'm rebuilding my Theta mono tube amps & need to buy quality,great sounding, moderately priced film & foil polypropylene 0.47uf 600/630 volt coupling & by-pass capacitors. Does anyone prefer the sonics of Audio Cap Theta series($12), Multi Cap PPFXS($13), Auricap ($22), Mundorf ZN series($11) or Sonicap Generation I ($5). Cap length can't exceed 1.3".For several reasons,leads must be solid,not multistranded. On a price performance basis, I'm thinking Honda & Lexus ratherthan Mazeratti or Ferrari quality. Only the Auricaps seem too costly. I realize that sonics are subjective but would appreciate your recommendations?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15406

Not only are sonics subjective, each passive component will slightly alter its character within a circuit. The final product then must match well with the other personalities in the system. What you read in "shoot outs" is sometimes no more useful than saying nothing. My experience with the caps you've mentioned extends only to the precursor to the Auricap, the Sidereals. They've served me well for almost three decades. There were virtually no other high end/boutique caps to choose from at the time. I re-capped the entire signal chain with one brand of cap so there's no telling what the result might have been had I had the ability to be "pickier" about which cap was best suited to a specific location.

I would head over to DIY Audio forums with your question. You're more likely to find more recent experience with the caps in question than you'll have here.

However, you're really in the wrong forum for this question. Not enough tweaking of caps and so forth to have many opinions here.

Username: Riverman47

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your advice. I'll do that.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1714
From the For What It's Worth department::

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Don't forget it's all OPINION and subject to the vagaries of the rest of the circuit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us