Cheap cdp Nad vs Rotel

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 705
For my new work shop set up: I am excited about getting my house Nov 1! The 20x30' shop is separate from the house.
You may have read that I started this system with the Dynaco A-25 speakers that I just picked up in Seattle and powered by my huge old HK 6950R integrated amp. Now I just need an inexpensive cdp.

I see some inexpensive ones on AudiogoN: NAD C545BEE cd player $280 vs Rotel RCD 1070.
I have a Rotel RCD 1070 in the house already which I think is way under rated.
New price $700. The Nad was $500 new. I read rave reviews about the BEE series gear but have not heard it. I googled it and found a few people with reliability problems, ie skipping. Not enough to convince me that it was common. Nad claims to be on top of that.

I just bought a 2d Apollo for my bedroom set up to go with my newly repaired Onix OA21S integrated amp. Sounds good.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13268
NAD CD players sound excellent however the build quality has always been an issue. I have a tech nearby so I don't sweat it. I'm probably going to pick up a 515 for my wife's setup to match her C325BEE amp. The BEE amp is outstanding. Better sounding than my old Mira 3.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15425
if ya already have a 1070 (non hdcd) player why no try something else?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 706
Good point Nuck.
I just noticed that I have a 1072 but the one for sale is 1070 which I am not familiar with. There is a 1072 on AgoN for $50 more. I like my 1072 more than I should but it goes with my level of electronics. As you say, it would be interesting to try a different one.

Art- I notice that Stereophile and Absolute Sound both love the BEEs. They also love the Rega Mira 3 more than you though.
I guess I could gamble on the reliability. No recourse here in AK though, plus it being used.
Really, any cheap reliable cdp would do for the workshop. That monster HK integrated amp is overkill for that set up but it got kicked out of the bedroom by the Onix so it is just sitting on the bench.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3219
Kevin, the 542 was a giant killer in its day but consider the entry level 515bee at also a cheap price and would come with a warranty. The latest NAD cdp's had their issues late 09 and early this year but NAD, and customers claim the issues are mainly ironed out. I dig the 542 though. I love the 325bee. I am thinking about picking up a 326bee to play with.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 708
Thanks Nick, I appreciate your interest. I like the Nad brand.
I am still watching the used ads on AgoN and eBay. At these low prices I shouldn't really worry too much. Almost November! I will remodel and work on my house for 5 months before moving in so I have some time, but it would be nice to have the shop music set up from the start, especially since I have the amp/tuner and speakers already.

There are 4 Nad cdp pretty cheap right now.
C525BEE $300 new;
C545BEE for $370;
C615BEE for $215
and another C615BEE on eBay bidding at $180 so far.

Looking at the used there are a lot of other brands and choices of cheap gear. For example:
HBB cdr 830; and other HBB
TASCAM CD-501 Professional $150 and 3 more Tascam models
Marantz cd5003 at $200 and other Marantz units
Cambridge Azure 640c v2 for $350 and other CA units
Onix at $200
Rotel units selling fast.
Arcam DVA 72 for $300, Alpha 7 for $230

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3409
Less than $100 with a warranty...
http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio/DVD-CD-Players-/_i.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=hirez&m=268609

...I'm just saying?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 709
Thanks for the idea Christopher. It is going with an HK 6950 Integrated Amp. I had not looked at CD/DVD or universal players because I have an unfounded prejudice that a combination player would not be as good as a dedicated unit of the same price range, especially low end. Some day I would like to get a higher end Oppo Universal player for my main system.
You noticed that I had started to consider cd/cdr units. HHB, Arcam, Tascam which I could use also to burn cds if I ever figure out how to burn vinyl. I have one Pioneer cdp that is not bad as a player, clear if not so much warmth. Still, the same logic which may not be true applies with this combination. I would guess less so with a cdr than with CD/DVD.

As for Nad, I can't find the dates of release. Can I assume that the higher number is newer, ie 545BEE is newer than 515BEE?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 717
Pioneer cdr that is ok.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3414
Sorry, quick edit...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3415
Kevin, if you are considerring used, and a wouldn't mind a universal player which originally retailed for $899...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-DV-7600-DVD-Player-Great-Condition-/160493171511

For $150, it's a steal! I am listening to to the very same player as I type.

http://us.marantz.com/products/397.asp

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 722
Wow, that is a steal. My immediate thought is to put it with a TV instead of in the shop though. For that price, it can't hurt to bid!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 725
I went for the NAD C515BEE for a couple hundred on AgoN. In the mail now and should arrive about the time I get the house.
I did bid on a couple inexpensive Marantz DVD/universal players on ebay but did not 'win'. I appreciate that good idea Christopher.

Thanks guys for the help getting this inexpensive system for my shop going.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13336
Let us know how it sounds to your ear when you get it.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 726
Will do. Naturally I will listen to it with each system, ie Rega, Rotel, Onix, but it will end up with the HK.

Username: Gerbilaudio

San diego, Ca U.s.

Post Number: 1
i acquired a nad c 542 on steroids, since i already have a stock that matched my t 773 receiver, the hdcd was modified by R.A.M the detail is unbelievable when you use a yaqin sc 3 tube buffer coupled with a dakiom r 253 or 263 feedback stablizers, it just puts you in nirvana. you have to send 159 bucks on the buffer and another 89 bucks for the stablizers but it's worth thousands in sound. The R.A.M cost over a thousand according to the previous owner. I didn't see anything modified by the company that was less then 2000, but for 350 and adding the enhancers costing close to 600 can easily defeat the megabucks players NO DOUBT in my mind since i've been tweaking various systems for 30 plus years. smart people use pro audio equipment to tweak systems. The people who purchase emerald physics loudspeakers know what i'm talking about. I use dbx, bbe, aphex,behringer, peavey, art etc for various applications. with my setups and experimentation, I can bring out of a sound from a recording that literally brings out a cockroach take a dump, kidding! when you are able to bring out a musician breathing, making sounds other then the recorded material, that's detail!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 736
I finally got the NAD 515BEE, like new. It sounds very good. I put it with the new old Dynaco A-25 speakers (Rotel 1072 int amp). I just got in the house which I will remodeling all winter. I did not compare the cdp or speakers to my other gear, but just set it up and went to work.
A good start was Trippin Live w/Dr. John
Giants with McCoy Tyner and Bobbie Hutcherson,
Last of the Blue Devils w/Jay McShann and a great band.

My personal improved version of 'This Old House'

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 738
I also took Christopher's advice and got an inexpensive DVD/universal. Oppo 980H for $150. Sounds very good for that price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3479
Congrats on the new player, I've only heard good things about the Oppo.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 739
Thanks. I thought it may serve as a shop cdp but my wife has adopted it for her TV as a dvd/cd player.

I am impressed enough that some day I will get a high end Oppo for home theater.

So I guess the NAD 515 will be the work music player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us