DIY sub(s) help

Username: Lazlo

Post Number: 1
First off I know this is not the best sub setup for home theater, but the fact is I have this stuff laying around plus the rest of my "home theater" is nowhere near the best stuff. I think it would sound better than buying a $100-200 powered HT sub. I have 2 12" 8ohm rockford fosgate subs and a harmon kardon HK-3480. The reciever is rated at 120wx2 @8ohms. Here are the sub specs:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/fattach_get. php?p_sid=pXhwgHak&p_tbl=9&p_id=272&p_created=1083013881

I know how to build boxes for cars, and I gather that HT subs are just tuned more for flatter response and lower extension, correct? What size and type of box should I be aiming for for these subs? I'm thinking that both channels of the reciever must be connected for either of them to work, so I can't go with just one of them(not even sure I want to). Would seperate boxes on either side of the towers be good, or one big box perhaps built into a stand for the TV, and if one box should the woofers be divided or in a common chamber? Do I get an RCA splitter to hook up the sub out to the 2 RCAs on the reciever? Do I need a seperate crossover or will the sub out on my main receiver do that already?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1629
Crossover may be the sticking point issue. AND, at this hour without even a cup of coffee down the hatch, I can't think of a workaround with what you've got.
I think 'perfect box' is still available as a PC download...freebie.
Check out the options available....ported and sealed would, of course, be the 2 most popular....

Could you spring for a 'plate' amp? Parts Express and Madisound, and maybe a few others could fix you right up. Parallel connection gets you to 4 ohms, which is doable. I don't know if you've noticed yet, but anything much under 4 ohms is the exception in home audio...not like cars where they can get pretty wacky.

Other options, enclosure-wise, include a simple open baffle, transmission line or even isobarik.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us