Moving to bigger room

Bronze Member
Username: M_sky

Post Number: 12
Hi everyone,
Wouldn't you know that just when I have my system just where I like it, we're moving to a new house. The 'great' news is that our main living area will be a 1.8x larger space ...from a 'lively' 18' x 14' with rug over tile floors to a 19' x 24' with wooden floors. So I'm thinking the Rega R3s at the end of my P3-24/Fono/Nait 5i-2 may struggle a bit. Starting to think ahead, will an RS5 do well enough in that size room or do I need to look up the RS chain? I really like the Rega speakers but, in the same price neighborhood, have heard equally good things about the Epos M16i, Focal 726v, Neat Motive 1s & Totem Hawks (none of which have dealers near me, save Epos). Also, they'll need to be no more than 2' away from back wall per my domestic permits officer (aka wifey).

So, thoughts on which speakers would cope well and keep a similar or better presentation than the R3s in a mid-size room?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4000
Get everything in the new room before anything else. They may actually sound better with a bit more room to breathe. You may need to twist the volume knob a little more, but probably not that much. Rega speakers work well close to wall, if I remember correctly. No two rooms are alike, as you'll find out.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1583
Wooden floor?
On joists or on concrete slab?

Any other big design features like a fireplace or stairs going up or down?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13180
Stu's advice is good. Stay away from the Epos unless you like bright speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1581
I thought TW said they were warm...no?

But then again, the SDAT.......

Bronze Member
Username: M_sky

Post Number: 13
Will definitely try the R3s first, but they already struggle a bit at times in my current smaller room. I would think the larger room would be pushing it. But who knows until you try it???

Good to know on the Epos, I had a pair of JMlabs I loved, but bright & harsh aren't for me at all. Also, wood floors and fireplace, no stairs.

BTW, I've also heard Vandy 1C's work well with the Nait 5i. Anyone heard these together?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us