Huming NAD315BEE AMP

Username: Knibb

Post Number: 1
Hello all
i have a NAD 315BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier wich has a ONKYO iPOD DOCK connected

About 3 weeks ago i went on holiday for a week and left my amp on over this time. when i returned it was makeing a very annoying huming/buzzing noise and i wasnt sure why... the amp had not been used whilst i was away and when i left it was fine

i have since brought new speaker wire and new phono leads to try resolve this problem but still the bum/buzz is there. i would appreciate any ideas one how to resolve this issue

Billy

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15397
Use an extetnsion cord and plug into a different circuit first.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1582
OK when you left? Buzz/noise upon return?
Nothing changed by itself, right?

After trying Nuck's suggestion::
I'd call the power company and ask if there were any brownouts or other power interruptions while I was gone. Ask neighbors if there were any 'glitches'. This'll nail down the time.

I had a power glitch many years ago which took out an amp. Power company coughed up when I told them exactly what(brownout) and when(exact day/time).

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3204
Good suggestions. Also, if you have a sat/cable receiver in the system unplug the coax feed going into the back of it.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15209

You first want to establish where the noise is coming from on a general level - what component/cable/AC source is causing the problem. You can find archived threads regarding ground loops and buzzing/humming systems throughout this forum. It would do you well to spend some time reading about the process of tracking noises as it is a logical process that steps from "if this, then that" and "if not this, then proceed to that". You can also take a look at this page; http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

With the information you've provided I would doubt your problem is a ground loop but you need to prove it to yourself. You can easily do so by disconnecting all interconnects and any other cables other than speaker cables. After the component is cleaned off you want to know whether the noise still persists and if it presists on all inputs (tuner/DVD/CD etc). If it does, the problem is within the integrated amplifier itself. If it disappears when you have cleaned the amplifier, the problem is very likely within either your connections or a source component feeding to the NAD.

That's IMO where you need to begin. Once you've established where the problem exists, you can tackle what to do to resolve the problem. My guess would be your absence and your nosie are not truly related. The amplifier is more than likely going to need repair. If you establish the amplifier is the source of the noise by doing as instructed above, then you really should short circuit any other attempts to resolve this problem yourself. The amplifier should go to a competent technician for repairs.

Username: Knibb

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all your replys guys im going to try a few things out when i get time and post the result ....

In the time i was away my dad did change he houses main distribution bord could that have effected my system in anyway ? but my he does have The same system as me part for part and his has not changed in anyway.

i have tried moveing the amp with just the speakers to a few other spots around the house with and with out a extetnsion cord and it's still there?

Thank you.
Billy

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15214

"i have tried moveing the amp with just the speakers to a few other spots around the house with and with out a extetnsion cord and it's still there?"

If you are saying you've stripped the amplifier down to just amp and speakers, then, yes, the problem is almost certainly in the amplifier. If you carried a source with you to another room and used it to check the amplifier's operation, then you still need to determine whether the noise exists in the amp or in the source player/cables.

Your father's rewire could have reversed polarity of the outlet. You can buy an inexpensive outlet tester at any home improvement/hardware shop. This will determine whether your father did a competent job or whether he missed a connection. The amplifier should have a polarized AC plug where one side of the plug has "ears" making it impossible to insert the plug in reversed polarity. Also pick up a ground lift adapter at the store and cut off the ears to allow a reversal of the AC polarity at the receiver. Once again, if you've stripped down the system to just the amp and speakers and the noise persists, insert the ground lift and reverse the polarity of the AC feed. If there is noise at this point, send the amplifier to the shop for repairs.

Since it would appear other people had access to the system in your absence there could be several reasons for the noise appearing without explanation.

You could, of course, swap amplifiers with your father's system. Though, if you do as instructed here, there shouldn't be any different results than you can determine on your own at your home.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us