Mordaunt-Short Speakers

Username: Trumpet

Post Number: 1
Hi .... I've just recently acquired a pair of Mortaunt Short Classic 20 speakers... these are bi-wireable, but i've was told that they can be hooked up by just using short "jumper" wires & run them down to the bottom connecter posts...... this has been done & the mid & upper range sounds gorgeous, but the bass respones is very poor.
I'm using a moderately low powered Amp.... a NAD 20x20 W ...... using 16 gauge speaker wire.... this model NAD will not use larger wire.
Should these speakers perform well with this power of an amp???.... I'm wondering if there could be some damage to these that is causing this poor preformance on the bottom range of these speakers???

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards..... JOHN in Vancouver

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1569
15 watts is at the lower end of the recommended power input (15-75 watts er channel) IMHO it would probably be wise to try to audition these with a more powerful amp.

I do not have any personal experience with these speakers, i just did a google search with the mfr and mod number of the speakers, and was provided an image of the rear of the speakers... one that shows the sticker with the recommended power input. No sensitivity measurements were given, so it really can be taken with a grain of salt. HOWEVER... listening to them on a more powerful amp may be just the ticket to get what you want!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3317
Agreed.

Username: Trumpet

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your replys, christopher & Gavin..... I'm taking the speakers in tomorrow to have then checked for possible defects..... picked them up at a thrift shop, so I'm a little suspious that they may have been damaged....maybe it's just that my ears are having trouble adjusting to really good quality speakers.
Thanks for your help......

JOHN in Vancouver
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us