Cheap used speakers

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 689
Hi guys-
Since I am picking up a van in Seattle and driving back to AK this is a great opportunity to get some speakers for my shop. I am tired of compact HiFi and will be spending a lot of time in there.
Hawthorn in Seattle has some old Dalquist, PSB, Paradigm, NHT and more. Maybe good monitors and a sub would be good.
I need to keep the cost down near $300-400. No time to be auditioning them since I will be in and out of town so fast.
http://www.hawthornestereo.com/used/

I am also looking on Craig's list.
Thanks for any ideas on this.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13098
Looking at the Hawthorne list the standouts are,

Dynaco A-25
Boston Acoustics A100
Paradigm Studio 20
Pinnacle AC500 (don't know about the AC500 but the AC650's we have are great).
NHT Superzeros if the surrounds are good.

Those would be of interest to me at your stated budget.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 690
Thanks Art! I was way off on my guesses. They are pushing the Dalquist.

I have a good memory of NHT. I got a pair of NHT floor standing speakers from Hawthorne that were really good. At the time I thought that they were too bright and traded them for some warm sounding huge ARs that I gave to my brother.

I will have to visit Bud's Jazz Records too!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15365
KC, if you found the NHT's a bit bright, the bypass the 20's as well(imho) and look at the dynaco. It's a tough speaker, too!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13099
Bud's is closed, Kevin. Try Jive Time and their Annex.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13100
If the Studio 20's are v1 or v2, I agree with Nuck, if they are v3 then I didn't find them to be a bit bright...I doubt they are v3.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3185
Yeah really depends on version the Studio's are.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 691
Thanks also Nuck and Nick. I googled these speakers and they are interesting.
Nuck- I looked at the photo thread. Wow, that is some gear.
Art, you too changed a lot of stuff last winter while I was away.

Art- I thought Bud's moved up to Jackson street. Hmmm. I will look at Jive Time which I am unfamiliar with.

Bronze Member
Username: Dwp

LeicesterEngland

Post Number: 22
Hi Kevin,
On the subject of used speakers there are many good reasons for buying used speakers. One that is usually forgotten is the fact that speakers improve with age. Whilst reading Gilbert Briggs founder of Wharfedale and to many, the founder of Hi Fi, many years ago he discovered that the bass resonance of speakers after many years of use was significantly lower than measured when leaving the factory. I'm sure you've found out for yourself that when you purchase a new pair of speakers they sound awful, but mellow after some use. I've also discovered that it's not just electronics that improve with age after making new cabinets for some old Celestions I had, they too sounded awful when first played but rapidly improved with age. I've no doubt that whatever you get you'll be pleased.
[url=http://www.thehifisite.com]The HIFI site[/url]

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13103
I was told it closed, if not let me know.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 694
Thanks Dave. I have bought a lot of used speakers but maybe only one pair of new.

Art, I will look into Bud's. I always visit Chinatown anyway.

Now I am wondering if I should not buy old speakers after reading Gavin's thread: "The Tekton Design 4.5 initial comments"

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3303
If I were you, I'd just buy these... http://www.tsto.com/Wharfedale_Diamond_9_2_Bookshelf_Speakers_p/1111.htm

The Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 will be an overall more versatile, and ultimately more satisfying purchase than the Tekton 4.5. As I've stated elsewhere, the Tektons are exceptionally good for specific tasks, near-feild listening, moderate volume listening, intimate spaces, vocals, strings, acoustic recordings; the Wharfedales on the otherhand will handles all of that well & more, adding a bottom-end the Tektons simply cannot pull off with smoke & mirrors; the rosewood finish also isn't to shabby either, and they come with a 5-year warranty.

For $289, they are an absolute steal...although not quite the steal the EVO2-10 were for $299 a while back ;)

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1555
The tektons are great speakers, but will not play loud...nor is the bass terribly deep.

I think they have proportionally correct bass, but some may not agree.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1556
I have to agree with chris that the wharfedale will be a better choice for most people. While the bass performance of the tectons is real and true, it simply is not going to be deep enough for most users... requring a sub. And a sub musical enough to mate with these is not inexpensive.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1557
Also... mate them with a bright amp and see how fun they are :-) you need to know how to pair these with electronics. They are super revealing.

This is not to say they aren't outstanding speakers. They relegated a pair that was twice as expensive to the closet. It is just that you have to have realistic expectations. I don't listen loudly, and my listening area is a 6'-7' triangle... not exactly large.

Try playing rock at concert volume...klipsch these are not! That isn't the point of these speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3304
If prestige isn't an issue, and you like holding on to your hard earned money, look at the Infinity Primus Series, take your pick; the comparable speaker would be the P162, delivered to your door for a tidy $170/pr.

http://store.audioholics.com/product.php/2019/0

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/

There was a time not so long ago, when Harman's eBay store was auctioning these off these for less than $30 a pop.

Username: Nainital

Post Number: 2
Chris:

If I buy the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 bookshelf speakers for a home theater system, is there a center channel speaker that goes with it.
TSTO also has a diamond spekaer package.

Thanks
nainital

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 697
Thanks Christopher, Gavin, I will definately look at these options to the old speakers. It is a work shop set up so it will often be played fairly loud and not sitting in a listening position.

Leaving tonight!

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1559
if you are putting it in a shop I would nix the Tektons right away.

I would also look into Klipsch and Cerwin-Vega

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 699
Thanks, I will see how many I can in my short visit to Seattle.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 700
I bought the Dynaco A-25 but have not got them set up at home yet. Just got back.
I also bought a small NHT sub to go with my Quad11Ls. They match the finish. We will see if they improve the Quads. If not, I can always use in the shop system. Dominic at Hawthorne thinks the NHT sub is agood match. It was way cheap anyway.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13168
Kevin, did Dominic still have his DeVore 3's?

I may be about to make a change myself...can anyone say Harbeth.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 701
No, Dom had sold the speakers. He was amused to have been discussed online.

You are right, Bud's Records is no more. They say he is around and visits Tula's.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13170
Dominic being amused is a bit amusing. Not surprised that the speakers were sold. After having listened to the N-Sats I can't say that I agree with his choice but hey it's his home. The N-Sats were wonderfully detailed but seemed to dissect the music rather than go with the flow but I'd have to do some more listening as they were certainly fun.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 702
Too bad I didn't have time to audition speakers for future reference! Not ready yet for better speakers.

Off topic: I had left an Onyx integrated amp in Seattle for repair and was going to abandon it. Dominic encouraged me to reclaim it. I had originally got it there and he thinks it is very good so I took it home. I used to use it with a Naim CD player and Rogers/HsU set up where it sounded great.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13172
Glad you picked up the amp, Kevin. I'm considering a move to Harbeth Compact 7's, the latest version.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 737
I finally set up the Dynaco A-25 speakers. I like them. They are a very good value for a couple hundred bucks. The have enough bass and make a good set up for house building work. I did not get them for critical listening, but for my shop. They do rock out loud for this purpose. Thanks for the recommendations.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us